Pace Electric Buses

chicagocubs6323

On 6/8/2023 at 3:07 PM, Busjack said:

1. This was misclassified. It had something to do with electric buses, NOT Random CTA.
  2. If anything, it was to give Pace more time to put CNG buses in Wheeling Garage.
  3. Since CTA and Pace were going to do this anyway, it was just legislative posturing.
  4. Maybe to @artthouwill's point, it probably is meaningless, because the summary states:

CNG buses are not zero emissions so your point is moot 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BusOps said:

CNG buses are not zero emissions so your point is mute. 

I'm not that dumb. Did you read what I quoted from the law?* It said no new contracts for other than zero emission buses after 7/1/2026. For that matter, Pace already has a contract for CNG buses (or at least the board approved one).

Also, if the term applied, it is "moot."

*Or, for that matter, what you quoted?

• 2 weeks later...

Based on the RTAMS PMO:

Current Status

The contract was executed, and the vendor provided Pace with an updated production schedule due to previous supply chain issues and long lead time items. Deliveries of the buses were delayed and now expected to begin in Q1-2024. Pace is also in the process of increasing the order by two additional buses, bring the total to 22 electric buses.

Last Updated 06.22.2023

• 3 months later...
18 hours ago, artthouwill said:

..  I haven't seen or heard anything about the Gillig electric that Pace has in its possession  supposedly at Plainfield. ...

You haven't kept up with posts above or links to the Pace Board videos. The Gillig is at SW, a contract was let to move a charger there, and the bus is supposed to go in service on 381. In the Proterra bankruptcy topic, there is a link to where Metzger said that Proterra will deliver the 22 buses, but they may be delayed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, andrethebusman99 said:

What do we know about Gillig 20700? From.November 2022. Demo?

If you had posted in and looked at the correct topic (which is this one), you would have seen that Pace bought a 2-year-old demo from Gillig and is testing it. Present plan is to run it on 381.

On a related note, it was explained at the Nov. Board Meeting, starting about here, that the single-source contract to purchase an electric paratransit bus ftom Coach and Equipment was a similar deal--C & E had a bus that some other agency didn't have the funds to complete the purchase, so Pace bought the bus to get experience with it, in this case on Pace paratransit routes operated by River Div.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
3 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

Just noticed that Maths22 bustracker run history shows that the Electric Gillig (20700) entered service on 95th St (381) on 12/15 and has been out every weekday from 3:10pm-3:30pm to between 5pm and 7pm since.

Good catch. I guess they're waiting until the 19th to get all the politicians out there, but have had the soft launch.

Looks like a similar deal as the CTA 600s on 63rd, some kind of test on the same block each day.

On 1/6/2024 at 1:26 PM, busfan2847 said:

Just noticed that Maths22 bustracker run history shows that the Electric Gillig (20700) entered service on 95th St (381) on 12/15 and has been out every weekday from 3:10pm-3:30pm to between 5pm and 7pm since.

On the official tracker:

20700.thumb.jpg.907cb5c0f48d69f6d7dda0e683969f6e.jpg

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 10:31 PM, Railguy said:

Real test with the electric  will be next week with the cold wave in temperatures

When asked at the January meeting if the electric bus would have run last Friday, Merzger said it did fine, but they "cheated" by storing the bus in the garage, and using the diesel heater to heat the interior. The main problem would be that electric heat would drain the battery.

6 hours ago, Busjack said:

When asked at the January meeting if the electric bus would have run last Friday, Merzger said it did fine, but they "cheated" by storing the bus in the garage, and using the diesel heater to heat the interior. The main problem would be that electric heat would drain the battery.

The whole purpose of testing is to see how the electric buses would perform.   This bus is only out for two to three hours and runs a route that passes by the garage.  Why the need for " cheating?"  If this bus can't last two hours on a frigid day, what will Pace do with an entire fleet of electric buses that have to stay out eight or more hours?  If this happens next winter,  Pace North better have some diesel buses or Lake County won't have any service. 

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Why the need for " cheating?"  If this bus can't last two hours on a frigid day, what will Pace do with an entire fleet of electric buses that have to stay out eight or more hours?

Metzger explained that. Maybe I should have posted the link, but I assumed people could have found it on their own.

Anyway:

• It's experimental technology, and Pace is trying to get experience with it.
  • If the question is whether cold weather, by itself, depleted battery range, she said it was determined that it didn't.
  • She said that storing the bus in the garage and running it on an afternoon trip made sure that it was adequately warmed. However, what could be done for one bus can't be done for an entire fleet unless the garage infrastructure is upgraded.

Again, you seem to believe that after 2 weeks of testing, an experimental technology is ready for an 18-hour block under the most extreme weather conditions. Pace is not that unrealistic, and is taking a more measured approach.

8 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Metzger explained that. Maybe I should have posted the link, but I assumed people could have found it on their own.

Anyway:

• It's experimental technology, and Pace is trying to get experience with it.
  • If the question is whether cold weather, by itself, depleted battery range, she said it was determined that it didn't.
  • She said that storing the bus in the garage and running it on an afternoon trip made sure that it was adequately warmed. However, what could be done for one bus can't be done for an entire fleet unless the garage infrastructure is upgraded.

Again, you seem to believe that after 2 weeks of testing, an experimental technology is ready for an 18-hour block under the most extreme weather conditions. Pace is not that unrealistic, and is taking a more measured approach.

I'm not advocating for an 18 hr test.  But since the extreme conditions existed,  why not put it to the test?  I'd much rather gather factual information from one bus than get a few buses later then discover problems that might have been able to have been addressed beforehand.  The keyword is experiment.  

8 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

why not put it to the test

Pace did, but how extreme of a test are you proposing? And at what risk of freezing the riders?

Did you watch the video?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

For Pace to be one of the only agencies with rear route & destination signs, interesting choice to procure buses with neither.

Since, as frequently noted above, Pace bought a 2-year-old demonstrator from Gillig, they got what they get.

9 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

I'll go out on a limb and say that the Potatoes will have them. 

Probably, because they have back windows, but former management was complaining about customization.

• 4 weeks later...

Mentioned at the March 2024 meeting was that Pace received federal grants for 5 electric buses for McHenry and $826K for an electric bus at Heritage (didn't say what kind). Also there was an amendment to the capital plan to reprogram $76 million to electrify River garage.

On 3/20/2024 at 12:20 PM, Busjack said:

Mentioned at the March 2024 meeting was that Pace received federal grants for 5 electric buses for McHenry and $826K for an electric bus at Heritage (didn't say what kind).  ....

Update on this. Pace Release on whole program, including "$826,779 for an electric coach bus for I-55 service between Plainfield and Chicago." So it looks like Pace is getting an MCI D45 CRT Charge. I'll take betting odds on whether it is an LE.