2003 Restructuring 20th Anniversary

artthouwill

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I'm all for a service extension but at least 31st has stuff on it compared to the rather vacant strip of west 51st. A person from Hyde park going west of the red line is most likely going to midway so 55, 59 and to an extent 63 has that taken care of. Honestly 15 isn't exactly hurting for riders it's more hurting for manpower to keep consistent service as you stated. What I don't get is why they haven't tried a north side approach of short turning J14, bringing back short turns on the 6 to help free up extra buses. That's pretty much the way north side beefs up their service. Does every J14 need to go to 103rd to adequately serve that corridor? If not maybe have some start at Washington/Michigan and end service at 83rd similar to the 147s that start at Randolph and end at Devon. Swap downtown terminals with the 26 and make that the new 192 interline. Similarly with 26 serving south shore why have all these 6's run through when they have 67th/Stony & 71st/south shore intersections adding so much to the delays. You could say probably up to 20-30 min by turning back at 63rd which would avoid that and free up some service hours and manpower. 

I see your point about the vacant strip of 51st west of the Ryan but here's the thing where are most of these passengers going from Lake Park onward? Obviously the Red and Green lines of course but what about a quicker trip to let's say Halsted/Ashland/Damen and Western onward. Quite a few passengers will take the 15 just to transfer over to the 51 if the 47 isn't running consistently enough going back WB which in my case over the years working the 51. I've witnessed how bad those wait times are for the 47 going back WB. However, one could argue and say well what benefits does th 51 hold if it can only go to the Kedzie orange line for those 47 riders? I honestly don't have answer for that as of yet. To your point about the J14 I'm not sure if those deadhead runs via 87th street are still around or not but overall you're right about the need for short liners for either the 6 and J14. Have the J14 turn around via 83rd and Anthony and start back NB at 87th and Jeffrey or 83rd and South Chicago. The 6 shouldn't need much of short liner if you ask me. The state street corridor heading SB is more than likely getting off at 47th/Lake Park and areas between 67th and 79th and South Shore. Hyde Park via the 28 could handle the rest. The 15 is the wild card in all of this for me. Serivce needs the manpower to defunct the 51 suggestion I made. Where could the 15 short turn that isn't 63rd? Maybe MSI? 

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

All CTA did was remove the X from the route number. 28 to 47th is via Lake Park, and 28 to Union Station is via Hyde Park.

I know that much I was just throwing out that but of trivia because it was never known that there was quite a bit of bickering that led to that separation back then. We knew about the 145 stink

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I see your point about the vacant strip of 51st west of the Ryan but here's the thing where are most of these passengers going from Lake Park onward? Obviously the Red and Green lines of course but what about a quicker trip to let's say Halsted/Ashland/Damen and Western onward. Quite a few passengers will take the 15 just to transfer over to the 51 if the 47 isn't running consistently enough going back WB which in my case over the years working the 51. I've witnessed how bad those wait times are for the 47 going back WB. However, one could argue and say well what benefits does th 51 hold if it can only go to the Kedzie orange line for those 47 riders? I honestly don't have answer for that as of yet. To your point about the J14 I'm not sure if those deadhead runs via 87th street are still around or not but overall you're right about the need for short liners for either the 6 and J14. Have the J14 turn around via 83rd and Anthony and start back NB at 87th and Jeffrey or 83rd and South Chicago. The 6 shouldn't need much of short liner if you ask me. The state street corridor heading SB is more than likely getting off at 47th/Lake Park and areas between 67th and 79th and South Shore. Hyde Park via the 28 could handle the rest. The 15 is the wild card in all of this for me. Serivce needs the manpower to defunct the 51 suggestion I made. Where could the 15 short turn that isn't 63rd? Maybe MSI? 

I wasn't saying short turn the 15 moreso use buses and operators freed by short turning on the others to help out with the 15 lol

Speaking of restructuring, it is the 50th anniversary of the 1973 one, which basically got rid of legacy boulevard system routes that duplicated other routes: i.e, 2 Hyde Park (local), 136 Douglas overlapping 58 Ogden; 127 Jackson-Independence, 148 Monroe Parking Garage, 152 Addison Express (downtown).

16 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Basically during rush all 28s extend downtown. There used to be an X28 which was created because when the restructuring first started, Hyde park was divided on how they want that corridor to be ran. Some people complained that 28 was removed from lake park, some people complained about the noise of buses running on Hyde park Blvd but yet those that were benefitting from 28 being there didn't want it gone so you had 28 and X28 to satisfy both sides of the argument until 2012 where CTA decided it's best to consolidate and SOMEONE has to deal with a loss similar to the 145 fight up north. 

Aw ok yea when people with money start crying about some they get what they want but yea I just really noticed since my daughter go to school over there now & I seen it when I came off of LSD