2003 Restructuring 20th Anniversary

artthouwill

This month marks the 20th year anniversary of the 2003 Lake Shore Restructurings.  A quick overview of the route changes that occurred back then

1 Indiana/Hyde Park- The southern terminal was cut from 63rd and Stony Island to Drexel Square.  

2 Hyde Park Express  - Southern terminal extended from Drexel Square to 60th/Cottage Grove and the northern terminal extended from Michigan/Ohio (Ontario SB) to Navy Pier.   The route also became a bidirectional rush route instead of just a peak direction only rush route.  The nonpeak direction received new routing using 57th, Stony Island,  and 60th streets. 

3L King Drive Limited was renamed X3 King Drive Express

4 Cottage Grove- Nonpeak routing between 35th/King Drive and Cermak/Michigan via indiana/Michigan Ave became permanent routing. 

X4 Cottage Grove Express- A new route between 95th/St Lawrence and Michigan/Chicago using the old 4 routing between 35th and Cermak via King Drive.   Peak direction only.

N5 South Shore Night Bus - New owl route operating between 69th Red Line station and 95th Red Line station combining parts of routes 67, 27, and 95E.

6 Jeffery Express curtailed to 79th and South Shore Drive and renamed 6 Jackson Park Express.   Routing from 67th and Jeffery changed to 67th and South Shore Drive. 

14 South Lake Shore Express renamed 14 Jeffery Express with service expanding from weekday peak direction only to daily all day bidirectional service. 

15 Jeffery Local- New route from 103rd/Stony Island to 47th/Red Line station combining the old 6 routing with the 51 routing to the Red Line.   Routing through Hyde Park initially unchanged,  then rerouted onto Lake Park,  then rerouted again back to Hyde Park,  then rerouted permanently back to Lake Park. 

26 South Shore Express  - New route from 106th/Ewing to Michigan/Chicago, combining elements of the 30 and 27 before running express from 67th/Jeffery to downtown. 

27 South Deering - combined with the 71 and renamed 71 71st/South Shore

28 Stony Island- renamed 28 Stony Island Express.   Rerouted to Union Station via Lake Shore Drive.  Columbus, Balbo. MICHIGAN. and Adams.  Some trips during rush hours extended to Illinois Medical District.   Then routing through Hyde Park changed to Hyde Park Blvd.  Then downtown trips scaled back to rush hour only and renamed X28 Stony Island Express with local 28 trips running via Lake Park and terminating at 47th/Lake Park. 

51 51st - Truncated from 47th/Lake Park to 47th Red Line station. 

71 71st  - combined with the 27 South Deering and renamed the 71 71st/ South Shore

134 Stockton/LaSalle Express  - New route between Belmont/Halsted and Adams/LaSalle.   Route enters Lake Shore Drive at Fullerton and exits at Wacker to LaSalle.   Peak direction 

135 and 136 Rerouted is exit Lake Shore Drive at Wacker to LaSalle. Eventually, the Wilson portion of the 135 was eliminated and route renamed 135 Clarendon/LaSalle Express

143 Stockton/Michigan Express  - New route between Belmont/Halsted and Michigan/Randolph.   Peak direction rush hour runs. 

144 Marine/Michigan Express- Peak direction rush hour runs between Berwyn  Red Line station and Michigan/ Congress via original 146 routing entering LSD  at Irving Park.  Eventually route eliminated.

145 Wilson/Michigan Express  - routing changed to enter Lake Shore Drive at Irving Park 

.  Route later revised to return entering LSD at Belmont with peak direction service beginning/ending at Lake Shore/Grace and nonpeak service running full route. Eventually route eliminated

146 Marine/Michigan Express renamed 146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express and Rerouted to enter Lake Shore Drive at Belmont.  Service to Museum Campus eventually Rerouted to use State to Roosevelt rather than Congress  Michigan. BAlbo,  and Columbus. 

148 Clarendon/Michigan Express  was created as the result of the 145 being Rerouted back to entering LSD at Belmont taking rhe 145'a rush hour peak direction routing.   When the 144 and 145 were eliminated,  the 148 northern terminal changed from Wilson/Damen to Berwyn Red Line station  taking the 144 routing to Lawrence and Marine, then via Clarendon between Lawrence and Irving Park. 

21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

This month marks the 20th year anniversary of the 2003 Lake Shore Restructurings.  A quick overview of the route changes that occurred back then

1 Indiana/Hyde Park- The southern terminal was cut from 63rd and Stony Island to Drexel Square.  

2 Hyde Park Express  - Southern terminal extended from Drexel Square to 60th/Cottage Grove and the northern terminal extended from Michigan/Ohio (Ontario SB) to Navy Pier.   The route also became a bidirectional rush route instead of just a peak direction only rush route.  The nonpeak direction received new routing using 57th, Stony Island,  and 60th streets. 

3L King Drive Limited was renamed X3 King Drive Express

4 Cottage Grove- Nonpeak routing between 35th/King Drive and Cermak/Michigan via indiana/Michigan Ave became permanent routing. 

X4 Cottage Grove Express- A new route between 95th/St Lawrence and Michigan/Chicago using the old 4 routing between 35th and Cermak via King Drive.   Peak direction only.

N5 South Shore Night Bus - New owl route operating between 69th Red Line station and 95th Red Line station combining parts of routes 67, 27, and 95E.

6 Jeffery Express curtailed to 79th and South Shore Drive and renamed 6 Jackson Park Express.   Routing from 67th and Jeffery changed to 67th and South Shore Drive. 

14 South Lake Shore Express renamed 14 Jeffery Express with service expanding from weekday peak direction only to daily all day bidirectional service. 

15 Jeffery Local- New route from 103rd/Stony Island to 47th/Red Line station combining the old 6 routing with the 51 routing to the Red Line.   Routing through Hyde Park initially unchanged,  then rerouted onto Lake Park,  then rerouted again back to Hyde Park,  then rerouted permanently back to Lake Park. 

26 South Shore Express  - New route from 106th/Ewing to Michigan/Chicago, combining elements of the 30 and 27 before running express from 67th/Jeffery to downtown. 

27 South Deering - combined with the 71 and renamed 71 71st/South Shore

28 Stony Island- renamed 28 Stony Island Express.   Rerouted to Union Station via Lake Shore Drive.  Columbus, Balbo. MICHIGAN. and Adams.  Some trips during rush hours extended to Illinois Medical District.   Then routing through Hyde Park changed to Hyde Park Blvd.  Then downtown trips scaled back to rush hour only and renamed X28 Stony Island Express with local 28 trips running via Lake Park and terminating at 47th/Lake Park. 

51 51st - Truncated from 47th/Lake Park to 47th Red Line station. 

71 71st  - combined with the 27 South Deering and renamed the 71 71st/ South Shore

134 Stockton/LaSalle Express  - New route between Belmont/Halsted and Adams/LaSalle.   Route enters Lake Shore Drive at Fullerton and exits at Wacker to LaSalle.   Peak direction 

135 and 136 Rerouted is exit Lake Shore Drive at Wacker to LaSalle. Eventually, the Wilson portion of the 135 was eliminated and route renamed 135 Clarendon/LaSalle Express

143 Stockton/Michigan Express  - New route between Belmont/Halsted and Michigan/Randolph.   Peak direction rush hour runs. 

144 Marine/Michigan Express- Peak direction rush hour runs between Berwyn  Red Line station and Michigan/ Congress via original 146 routing entering LSD  at Irving Park.  Eventually route eliminated.

145 Wilson/Michigan Express  - routing changed to enter Lake Shore Drive at Irving Park 

.  Route later revised to return entering LSD at Belmont with peak direction service beginning/ending at Lake Shore/Grace and nonpeak service running full route. Eventually route eliminated

146 Marine/Michigan Express renamed 146 Inner Drive/Michigan Express and Rerouted to enter Lake Shore Drive at Belmont.  Service to Museum Campus eventually Rerouted to use State to Roosevelt rather than Congress  Michigan. BAlbo,  and Columbus. 

148 Clarendon/Michigan Express  was created as the result of the 145 being Rerouted back to entering LSD at Belmont taking rhe 145'a rush hour peak direction routing.   When the 144 and 145 were eliminated,  the 148 northern terminal changed from Wilson/Damen to Berwyn Red Line station  taking the 144 routing to Lawrence and Marine, then via Clarendon between Lawrence and Irving Park. 

I thought the N5 was around since 1992

I don't know when exactly but CTA introduced the University of Chicago routes somewhere in that time frame.  While the 170, 171, and 172 were local area routes, the 173 was rhe Uof C/Lakeview Express  w

2 minutes ago, cta5658 said:

I thought the N5 was around since 1992

No.  The 27 was still operating between 63rd/ University abs 112th at that time.  When the Green Line reopened in 1996, the route went via 63rd to Cottage Grove,  then via 61st, King Drive and 63rd to return back south  and east.   It was funny that the 27 was still an owl route but the Green Line no longer was an owl route.  Combining with the eastern portion of the 67 and the owl portion of the 27 from 67th and Jeffery to 92nd made the route reconnected to an owl service L route 

13 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know when exactly but CTA introduced the University of Chicago routes somewhere in that time frame.  While the 170, 171, and 172 were local area routes, the 173 was rhe Uof C/Lakeview Express  w

No.  The 27 was still operating between 63rd/ University abs 112th at that time.  When the Green Line reopened in 1996, the route went via 63rd to Cottage Grove,  then via 61st, King Drive and 63rd to return back south  and east.   It was funny that the 27 was still an owl route but the Green Line no longer was an owl route.  Combining with the eastern portion of the 67 and the owl portion of the 27 from 67th and Jeffery to 92nd made the route reconnected to an owl service L route 

N5 was introduced 2/2/1992 when the owl service on 27, 67 and 95W were replaced. Shown on the Feb 1993 map as the 5 with the 27 ending at ~11:30pm

University of Chicago Routes: 170, 171, 172, 173 were introduced 9/18/2000, 173 lasted until 6/12/2009, 170 was withdrawn 5/27/2016. 192 was introduced 2/6/2006 and 174 to Garfield Stations was introduced 8/28/2006 and last operated 6/12/2009

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I forgot to mention one other change.   The 47 was extended from King Drive back to its original eastern terminal at Lake Park as a result of the 28 being rerouted downtown. 

I think the 51 needs to be re-extended to the Lakefront in some capacity. The 15 currently has terrible intervals going down 51st from to Hyde Park to Wentworth. The eastern terminal would be a hard sell to make as far available layover space is concerned, unless you have it share the Museum of Science Industry terminal with the 10/55. 

1 hour ago, busfan2847 said:

N5 was introduced 2/2/1992 when the owl service on 27, 67 and 95W were replaced. Shown on the Feb 1993 map as the 5 with the 27 ending at ~11:30pm

University of Chicago Routes: 170, 171, 172, 173 were introduced 9/18/2000, 173 lasted until 6/12/2009, 170 was withdrawn 5/27/2016. 192 was introduced 2/6/2006 and 174 to Garfield Stations was introduced 8/28/2006 and last operated 6/12/2009

I don't remember the N5 starting to 1992 but with 2 witnesses saying that it did. I can't argue otherwise.  I DO  remember seeing late night 67 buses operating EB to the 69th Red Line station only.  I figured that there wasn't demand east of there or it was just part of 1997 service cuts. But if the N5 was running,  it wouldn't make any sense to duplicate the service  

Thanks for the dates of the University routes. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I think the 51 needs to be re-extended to the Lakefront in some capacity. The 15 currently has terrible intervals going down 51st from to Hyde Park to Wentworth. The eastern terminal would be a hard sell to make as far available layover space is concerned, unless you have it share the Museum of Science Industry terminal with the 10/55. 

If you extend the 51 back east, then what do you do with the 15?  I suppose that the 15 could end at 47th and Lake Park .  Rush hours wouldn't be a problem but midday could get complex

One way to fix this is to reintroduce the X28 as the downtown route and extend the 28 local to 47th Green Line station.   Before the mid 80s, both the 28 and the 47 ran along 47th between Indiana and Lake Park.  Or extend the 28 to 43rd and Lake Park and share space with the 43 or combine the two routes.

If you extend the 51 back east, then what do you do with the 15?  I suppose that the 15 could end at 47th and Lake Park .  Rush hours wouldn't be a problem but midday could get complex

One way to fix this is to reintroduce the X28 as the downtown route and extend the 28 local to 47th Green Line station.   Before the mid 80s, both the 28 and the 47 ran along 47th between Indiana and Lake Park.  Or extend the 28 to 43rd and Lake Park and share space with the 43 or combine the two routes.

I think the 15 and 51 could co-exist, the 15 could keep its current routing as is while the 51 could go to MSI or layover where the 172s currently layover at. It's just the intervals need some assistance in that corridor during any portion of the day. The log jam of traffic due to construction for the Obama's library in Jackson Park/Hyde Park during the school year really doesn't help the intervals of the 15 get any better than they already were and the 6 has also suffered as well. You might be on to something for the X28 but Southshore routes such as the 6 and 15 wouldn't get the relief they need though from it. 51st needs better service from Kedzie to the Lakefront as a whole. If customers see that I'd hope they'd jump on it knowing it would get them E/W quicker than 47th or 55th could. 

29 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I think the 15 and 51 could co-exist, the 15 could keep its current routing as is while the 51 could go to MSI or layover where the 172s currently layover at. It's just the intervals need some assistance in that corridor during any portion of the day. The log jam of traffic due to construction for the Obama's library in Jackson Park/Hyde Park during the school year really doesn't help the intervals of the 15 get any better than they already were and the 6 has also suffered as well. You might be on to something for the X28 but Southshore routes such as the 6 and 15 wouldn't get the relief they need though from it. 51st needs better service from Kedzie to the Lakefront as a whole. If customers see that I'd hope they'd jump on it knowing it would get them E/W quicker than 47th or 55th could. 

If you want better intervals on that stretch just beef up the 15. I think west 51st isn't a good match for east 51st which is why they chose to separate 51st at the red line if I recall right.... As far as 43 and 28 ending combined you could be on to something cause 43 could use some ridership, the non downtown 28 isn't terribly long. While you're at it why not extend the new 28 to Walmart on 109th to make up for the one on 47th closing? 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I suppose if you alternated the routes through that stretch that would help.  But historically Hyde Park to the Red Line was never a high or medium  volume corridor.  Most of the Red Line ridership would be west of Cottage Grove  but with Washington Park, and the Green Line,  ridership still wouldn't justify a high frequency service either along that stretch, west 51st, or the Hyde Park to Jeffery corridor.

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I suppose if you alternated the routes through that stretch that would help.  But historically Hyde Park to the Red Line was never a high or medium  volume corridor.  Most of the Red Line ridership would be west of Cottage Grove  but with Washington Park, and the Green Line,  ridership still wouldn't justify a high frequency service either along that stretch, west 51st, or the Hyde Park to Jeffery corridor.

I think the issue is the traffic he alluded to. Even without the Obama construction, getting that left at 67th/Stony was a pretty long ordeal not to mention all the stop signs along 67th and 67th being narrow. 6 has it worse cause you have the same issue again at 71st/South Shore. 

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

I think the issue is the traffic he alluded to. Even without the Obama construction, getting that left at 67th/Stony was a pretty long ordeal not to mention all the stop signs along 67th and 67th being narrow. 6 has it worse cause you have the same issue again at 71st/South Shore. 

It's been a while since I have been that way.   It sounds like they have closed Cornell Drive between 67th and at least Midway Plaisance Dr.if not 57th.   That would cause a massive amount of traffic as Stony Island north of 67th wasn't designed to handle all of that traffic.  Neither was 67th. Marquette Dr, nor Hayes Drive.   Jeffery certainly can't handle that.   That's why I was against the Obama Library going up in Jackson Park.   

Overall I think the Restructuring was a general success and was the inspiration for expansion of the X routes like the X20, X54, and X55. 

3 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

It's been a while since I have been that way.   It sounds like they have closed Cornell Drive between 67th and at least Midway Plaisance Dr.if not 57th.   That would cause a massive amount of traffic as Stony Island north of 67th wasn't designed to handle all of that traffic.  Neither was 67th. Marquette Dr, nor Hayes Drive.   Jeffery certainly can't handle that.   That's why I was against the Obama Library going up in Jackson Park.   

Overall I think the Restructuring was a general success and was the inspiration for expansion of the X routes like the X20, X54, and X55. 

No, Cornell is open to Midway Plaisance, so you can go east & west to the University of Chicago & its hospitals.

I still wish Obama had chosen the site at Garfield & King Drive, which is directly next to the Garfield Green Line L station.  That would've been a far better location far people to get to.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Oh traffic was tight in that area before Cornell and the Obama thing. It's hard to get a bus over into that left for that turn since other drivers are in a rush so you might miss a light off that alone which is why the stop at 66th was eliminated at some point for 6 and 15. As far as 67th I think the fact that it's narrow and you have reliefs going on might add to the issue since you have artics curbing in a narrow spot. South shore and 71st is bad for similar reasons plus a lot of people use south shore to get to lake shore where it restarts at 79th

1 minute ago, strictures said:

No, Cornell is open to Midway Plaisance, so you can go east & west to the University of Chicago & its hospitals.

I still wish Obama had chosen the site at Garfield & King Drive, which is directly next to the Garfield Green Line L station.  That would've been a far better location far people to get to.

Yeah and they had a turnaround that could serve it too

7 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

Speaking of which, the CT Board just reauthorized them, U of C paying full cost. Press Release, noting the inauguration date of 2000.

35 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Oh traffic was tight in that area before Cornell and the Obama thing. It's hard to get a bus over into that left for that turn since other drivers are in a rush so you might miss a light off that alone which is why the stop at 66th was eliminated at some point for 6 and 15. As far as 67th I think the fact that it's narrow and you have reliefs going on might add to the issue since you have artics curbing in a narrow spot. South shore and 71st is bad for similar reasons plus a lot of people use south shore to get to lake shore where it restarts at 79th

Prior to 1982, the 1, 5, 6, and 27 used Marquette Drive (66th) southbound between Stony Island and Jeffery.   Only the NB  1, 5, and 27, and later the 6 used 67th.  The 6 actually used Marquette and Cornell Drive to 57th Northbound prior to 1982 before the 14 came to exist.

I think the city needs to make South Shore Drive a one-way between 79th and 71st and Yates and make Exchange or Coles a one-way southbound between Yates and 79th.   Exchange might be the better choice.  I would probably restrict parking and only allow it on the eastern side of the street.   That should help the artics navigate through there.  Other than at 79th   I probably would also restrict left turns on the western side of Exchange and ? left turns crossing the Metra Electric tracks.   Hopefully this will eliminate the need for so many stop signs too.

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

If you want better intervals on that stretch just beef up the 15. I think west 51st isn't a good match for east 51st which is why they chose to separate 51st at the red line if I recall right.... As far as 43 and 28 ending combined you could be on to something cause 43 could use some ridership, the non downtown 28 isn't terribly long. While you're at it why not extend the new 28 to Walmart on 109th to make up for the one on 47th closing? 

The problem is having the manpower out of 103rd to do that which is the main issue right now over there, every other day during  the summer when I worked the #2 I picked up the slack for big interval gaps the occurred on the 6 leaving downtown and then the 15 heading WB to Cottage Grove. So many customers would flag me down at 51st after I make that right hand turn going WB asking me about the when the 15 was coming or if it was running at all. Most the time they're just trying to get to the Red/Green lines to make there transfers over to the #3/#4/#47 & #51 routes. The ridership would increase if riders knew that 51st was going to get extended EB/WB via the Red line. When you create barriers in service it delays people even than it should. 51st is simply what 59th is currently minus going to Midway along with Stony ISL of course. It doesn't hurt to try a pilot service for it again especially since 31st has been around for this long with much lower ridership than 51st. 

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Weekdays during am/pm rush was terrible at times but with school back in session for all ranks it has become worse. The deviation reroutes put in place for the 2,6, J14,15, & 26 over the summer were due to all the heavy congestion throughout Jackson Park which bleed into Hyde Park and South Shore.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

We all know why that didn't happen though unfortunately...........

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Wait don't certain 28 runs go downtown cause before I could have sworn I seen one say to union Station but now I just see all of them turn around at 47th 

12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I forgot to mention one other change.   The 47 was extended from King Drive back to its original eastern terminal at Lake Park as a result of the 28 being rerouted downtown. 

Wait so the 47th use to turn around at king hell now with them small streets near 

7 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Wait don't certain 28 runs go downtown cause before I could have sworn I seen one say to union Station but now I just see all of them turn around at 47th 

Basically during rush all 28s extend downtown. There used to be an X28 which was created because when the restructuring first started, Hyde park was divided on how they want that corridor to be ran. Some people complained that 28 was removed from lake park, some people complained about the noise of buses running on Hyde park Blvd but yet those that were benefitting from 28 being there didn't want it gone so you had 28 and X28 to satisfy both sides of the argument until 2012 where CTA decided it's best to consolidate and SOMEONE has to deal with a loss similar to the 145 fight up north. 

8 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

The problem is having the manpower out of 103rd to do that which is the main issue right now over there, every other day during  the summer when I worked the #2 I picked up the slack for big interval gaps the occurred on the 6 leaving downtown and then the 15 heading WB to Cottage Grove. So many customers would flag me down at 51st after I make that right hand turn going WB asking me about the when the 15 was coming or if it was running at all. Most the time they're just trying to get to the Red/Green lines to make there transfers over to the #3/#4/#47 & #51 routes. The ridership would increase if riders knew that 51st was going to get extended EB/WB via the Red line. When you create barriers in service it delays people even than it should. 51st is simply what 59th is currently minus going to Midway along with Stony ISL of course. It doesn't hurt to try a pilot service for it again especially since 31st has been around for this long with much lower ridership than 51st. 

I'm all for a service extension but at least 31st has stuff on it compared to the rather vacant strip of west 51st. A person from Hyde park going west of the red line is most likely going to midway so 55, 59 and to an extent 63 has that taken care of. Honestly 15 isn't exactly hurting for riders it's more hurting for manpower to keep consistent service as you stated. What I don't get is why they haven't tried a north side approach of short turning J14, bringing back short turns on the 6 to help free up extra buses. That's pretty much the way north side beefs up their service. Does every J14 need to go to 103rd to adequately serve that corridor? If not maybe have some start at Washington/Michigan and end service at 83rd similar to the 147s that start at Randolph and end at Devon. Swap downtown terminals with the 26 and make that the new 192 interline. Similarly with 26 serving south shore why have all these 6's run through when they have 67th/Stony & 71st/south shore intersections adding so much to the delays. You could say probably up to 20-30 min by turning back at 63rd which would avoid that and free up some service hours and manpower. 

8 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Wait so the 47th use to turn around at king hell now with them small streets near 

Prairie is actually pretty wide for a one way over there. You could turn some of those streets into a 2 way and still have room for the bus if you wanted lol

2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

but yet those that were benefitting from 28 being there didn't want it gone so you had 28 and X28 to satisfy both sides of the argument until 2012 where CTA decided it's best to consolidate and SOMEONE has to deal with a loss similar to the 145 fight up north.

All CTA did was remove the X from the route number. 28 to 47th is via Lake Park, and 28 to Union Station is via Hyde Park.