Jump to content

[Speculative] 2026 Service Planning (was: Service Planning Beyond March 25 System Pick)


Recommended Posts

Posted
3 hours ago, Elkmn said:

I know the headsign's going to be something boring like 
"10 GMSI & Obama Pres. Center to Obama Pres. Center" 

but it would be so funny if it said 

"10 Obama to Obama"

They even acknowledged at the meeting that nobody is going to call it the "Obama Presidential Center/Museum of Science & Industry Express," at which point I'm wondering why they didn't choose something shorter. #10 Obama/MSI? I don't know. I'm just glad they left Gr*ffin's name off it and I'm sure Barack is too.

I've heard from people not very familiar with the system that the inclusion of the word "express" is confusing to them to begin with. If they know they're looking for the #10, but something that says #10 Express pulls up, it can cause panic. And that's how the L treats "express" service, too. You could miss your stop if you board a train marked Express.

  • Upvote 1
Posted
7 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

They even acknowledged at the meeting that nobody is going to call it the "Obama Presidential Center/Museum of Science & Industry Express," at which point I'm wondering why they didn't choose something shorter. #10 Obama/MSI? I don't know. I'm just glad they left Gr*ffin's name off it and I'm sure Barack is too.

I've heard from people not very familiar with the system that the inclusion of the word "express" is confusing to them to begin with. If they know they're looking for the #10, but something that says #10 Express pulls up, it can cause panic. And that's how the L treats "express" service, too. You could miss your stop if you board a train marked Express.

This is the lunacy of it all.  Some expressed routes aren't called express routes but run with routes that are called express routes.  The 2, 7, and 26 are called express routes but the 10. J14, and 28 are not called express routes.  It's crazy that a person who rides the 10 to be confused by the word express when they know the route runs express along Lake Shore Drive.   Then you have the 100 which is called an express but really only skips a few stops.  With its low ridership,  it might as well make those stops. 

The question is how this new 10 impacts the 6 and the 28 since those routes will also serve the  Center.  Will it also pull ridership along Stony Island ?

As for a Green Line extension to Dorchester or Stony Island,  it's probably not ever going to happen  unfortunately. 

Posted
9 hours ago, wayfaringrob said:

They even acknowledged at the meeting that nobody is going to call it the "Obama Presidential Center/Museum of Science & Industry Express," at which point I'm wondering why they didn't choose something shorter. #10 Obama/MSI? I don't know. I'm just glad they left Gr*ffin's name off it and I'm sure Barack is too.

It seems like Planning is going overboard with this, including the previous  147 Outer DuSable Lake Shore Express (DuSable Dr. Express would have been sufficient), or 146's destination being changed from Museum Campus to Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, etc.

Posted
9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

This is the lunacy of it all.  Some expressed routes aren't called express routes but run with routes that are called express routes.  The 2, 7, and 26 are called express routes but the 10. J14, and 28 are not called express routes.  It's crazy that a person who rides the 10 to be confused by the word express when they know the route runs express along Lake Shore Drive.   Then you have the 100 which is called an express but really only skips a few stops.  With its low ridership,  it might as well make those stops. 

The question is how this new 10 impacts the 6 and the 28 since those routes will also serve the  Center.  Will it also pull ridership along Stony Island ?

As for a Green Line extension to Dorchester or Stony Island,  it's probably not ever going to happen  unfortunately. 

Considering they tore down all of the 63rd St part of the L east of Stony Island because the Dorchester bridge over the IC Mainline was in dangerous shape, no rebuilding of it happening. 

And I still think it should've been built next to the Garfield L Station at King Drive.  The people could take the L there & walk a hundred feet to it.

  • Upvote 1
Posted
34 minutes ago, strictures said:

Considering they tore down all of the 63rd St part of the L east of Stony Island because the Dorchester bridge over the IC Mainline was in dangerous shape, no rebuilding of it happening. 

And I still think it should've been built next to the Garfield L Station at King Drive.  The people could take the L there & walk a hundred feet to it.

Agreed about the Garfield Green Line location but that's not the ase.   

Posted
12 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's crazy that a person who rides the 10 to be confused by the word express when they know the route runs express along Lake Shore Drive.

This is kind of part of my point -- they may be a visitor or new to the city, and their app told them to board the 10. Or maybe that's all they remember. They probably wouldn't know that it runs express down LSD and that's what the "express" means. They might see the word Express on the headsign and think it's a different route that may skip their stop. And as you pointed out, other buses do this but aren't "express" buses. Toss in the X routes for good measure, which actually ARE express versions of other routes, and you've confused the hell out of any would-be or infrequent riders.

Posted
34 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

They might see the word Express on the headsign and think it's a different route that may skip their stop.

I don't think that is a concern, as it is being marketed as a Museum of Science and Industry and Obama Center bus. If they are going to 52nd and Hyde Park, they can take a #6, which is also an Express If they are going to 42nd and Lake Park, they'll have to take something else.

My concern is the same as I said with respect to #6--if someone at Ogilvie or Union station wants to get to the MSI, that person first has to be directed how to get to State St., in which case they may as well take the ME to 57th or 59th.

At least they addresses taking the #63 from the Green Line.

Posted
27 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

This is kind of part of my point -- they may be a visitor or new to the city, and their app told them to board the 10. Or maybe that's all they remember. They probably wouldn't know that it runs express down LSD and that's what the "express" means. They might see the word Express on the headsign and think it's a different route that may skip their stop. And as you pointed out, other buses do this but aren't "express" buses. Toss in the X routes for good measure, which actually ARE express versions of other routes, and you've confused the hell out of any would-be or infrequent riders.

But the10 is the 10 egardless of what else it says.  Now if there was an X10 or 10A or something,  I could see that as confusing.   But the route number is the route number.  Of there was a difference, the app would note it.  Otherwise. When in doubt. ASK THE DRIVER .  For example,  when the 151 had Michigan/ Congress short turns but passengers were heading to Union Station or near there, the notice ( app) would warn you to watch for the destination signs to say Union Station since all 151s didn't go there.   They eventually got rid of the short turns.  It's not hard to read.

 

Posted
On 4/8/2026 at 11:04 PM, wayfaringrob said:

They even acknowledged at the meeting that nobody is going to call it the "Obama Presidential Center/Museum of Science & Industry Express," at which point I'm wondering why they didn't choose something shorter. #10 Obama/MSI? I don't know. I'm just glad they left Gr*ffin's name off it and I'm sure Barack is too.

 

On 4/9/2026 at 9:07 AM, Busjack said:

It seems like Planning is going overboard with this, including the previous  147 Outer DuSable Lake Shore Express (DuSable Dr. Express would have been sufficient), or 146's destination being changed from Museum Campus to Shedd Aquarium, Adler Planetarium, etc.

 

17 hours ago, Elkmn said:

I would've named the new 10 "jackson park express" but the 6 already has that name! 

It seems like it would've been easier for the city to rename the area Hyde Park Museum Campus which would be much easier to read as a bus route and on a head sign. Up until 2018-ish Museum Campus/Soldier Field was all the 146 showed yet people knew to use that to get to the planetarium, field museum etc; this shouldn't have been difficult to adjust to but I guess people need the extra help nowadays 🙄

Posted
8 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

It seems like it would've been easier for the city to rename the area Hyde Park Museum Campus which would be much easier to read as a bus route and on a head sign.

It wouldn't work for this purpose, because there's also the #2 Hyde Park Express, which covers this territory on reverse trips. Anyway, it's been known as Jackson Park since about 1893.

Posted
On 4/8/2026 at 11:26 PM, artthouwill said:

This is the lunacy of it all.  Some expressed routes aren't called express routes but run with routes that are called express routes.  The 2, 7, and 26 are called express routes but the 10. J14, and 28 are not called express routes.  It's crazy that a person who rides the 10 to be confused by the word express when they know the route runs express along Lake Shore Drive.   Then you have the 100 which is called an express but really only skips a few stops.  With its low ridership,  it might as well make those stops. 

 

2,6 and 26 are express routes for obvious reasons. 10 by the way it functions should have named express from the beginning. J14 is marketing thing otherwise It's essentially still the 14 express with a few less stops. I'm sure #28 was to avoid people thinking it's a full time express. 

100 should either be Jeffery Manor Limited or just Jeffery Manor.

On 4/9/2026 at 12:01 PM, wayfaringrob said:

This is kind of part of my point -- they may be a visitor or new to the city, and their app told them to board the 10. Or maybe that's all they remember. They probably wouldn't know that it runs express down LSD and that's what the "express" means. They might see the word Express on the headsign and think it's a different route that may skip their stop. And as you pointed out, other buses do this but aren't "express" buses. Toss in the X routes for good measure, which actually ARE express versions of other routes, and you've confused the hell out of any would-be or infrequent riders.

If were up to me I would have kept the X routes as "Limiteds" (the issue was confusion with #3 not using 3L so why not just update the signs or use L3, L9?). Outside of the inconsistencies I don't think having express in a name causes extra confusion; just read about the area you're going into, it takes like 5-10 minutes 🤷

Posted
2 hours ago, Sam92 said:

2,6 and 26 are express routes for obvious reasons. 10 by the way it functions should have named express from the beginning. J14 is marketing thing otherwise It's essentially still the 14 express with a few less stops. I'm sure #28 was to avoid people thinking it's a full time express. 

100 should either be Jeffery Manor Limited or just Jeffery Manor.

If were up to me I would have kept the X routes as "Limiteds" (the issue was confusion with #3 not using 3L so why not just update the signs or use L3, L9?). Outside of the inconsistencies I don't think having express in a name causes extra confusion; just read about the area you're going into, it takes like 5-10 minutes 🤷

I've argued that the X routes should have been Limited.  Way back in the day, that was the case as 63rd had a Limited in addition to the local.    King Drive had a Limited back then also.  

 

As for the 10, will t continue to be an everyday route during the summer and weekends only during the rest of the year?   

If nothing else. K can start using artics on the 10 if they expect ridership to triple.

Posted
Just now, artthouwill said:

I've argued that the X routes should have been Limited.  Way back in the day, that was the case as 63rd had a Limited in addition to the local.    King Drive had a Limited back then also.  

 

As for the 10, will t continue to be an everyday route during the summer and weekends only during the rest of the year?   

If nothing else. K can start using artics on the 10 if they expect ridership to triple.

I think it said daily 9-6 30 min headways. 

Posted
On 4/9/2026 at 12:35 PM, Busjack said:

I don't think that is a concern, as it is being marketed as a Museum of Science and Industry and Obama Center bus.

 

On 4/9/2026 at 12:38 PM, artthouwill said:

But the10 is the 10 egardless of what else it says.  Now if there was an X10 or 10A or something,  I could see that as confusing.   But the route number is the route number.  Of there was a difference, the app would note it.  Otherwise. When in doubt. ASK THE DRIVER .  For example,  when the 151 had Michigan/ Congress short turns but passengers were heading to Union Station or near there, the notice ( app) would warn you to watch for the destination signs to say Union Station since all 151s didn't go there.   They eventually got rid of the short turns.  It's not hard to read.

 

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Outside of the inconsistencies I don't think having express in a name causes extra confusion; just read about the area you're going into, it takes like 5-10 minutes 🤷

You are all proving my point. I'm not being theoretical. No, it's not difficult if you know the system, and that the number would be different, and that the app would note it, and that you could ask the driver. Who has 5-10 minutes and the patience to start doing research at the freaking bus stop when you're trying to get somehwere?! Not everyone is YOU, who is so interested in the system that you have an account on this website. I am particularly talking about making the system more accessible and appealing to those who do not ride often or new to the system. I am sharing what I have already heard from actual people like this. Get out of your bubble.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

2,6 and 26 are express routes for obvious reasons. 10 by the way it functions should have named express from the beginning. J14 is marketing thing otherwise It's essentially still the 14 express with a few less stops. I'm sure #28 was to avoid people thinking it's a full time express. 

100 should either be Jeffery Manor Limited or just Jeffery Manor.

If were up to me I would have kept the X routes as "Limiteds" (the issue was confusion with #3 not using 3L so why not just update the signs or use L3, L9?). Outside of the inconsistencies I don't think having express in a name causes extra confusion; just read about the area you're going into, it takes like 5-10 minutes 🤷

 

16 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

 

 

You are all proving my point. I'm not being theoretical. No, it's not difficult if you know the system, and that the number would be different, and that the app would note it, and that you could ask the driver. Who has 5-10 minutes and the patience to start doing research at the freaking bus stop when you're trying to get somehwere?! Not everyone is YOU, who is so interested in the system that you have an account on this website. I am particularly talking about making the system more accessible and appealing to those who do not ride often or new to the system. I am sharing what I have already heard from actual people like this. Get out of your bubble.

At the risk of quoting everyone in the last few hours - do we need to renumber the limited/express buses? Because if we're looking at improving the customer experience (tourists or otherwise), then Planning should (?) look at the entire system and redo the numbering system.

My vote (relevant to the thread) would be the 10 - MSI/Obama Express

  • Upvote 3
Posted
25 minutes ago, wayfaringrob said:

 

 

You are all proving my point. I'm not being theoretical. No, it's not difficult if you know the system, and that the number would be different, and that the app would note it, and that you could ask the driver. Who has 5-10 minutes and the patience to start doing research at the freaking bus stop when you're trying to get somehwere?! Not everyone is YOU, who is so interested in the system that you have an account on this website. I am particularly talking about making the system more accessible and appealing to those who do not ride often or new to the system. I am sharing what I have already heard from actual people like this. Get out of your bubble.

I. actually moved to the Twin Cities at one time and had to learn their system from scratch .  They had routes which had branches .  The branch was denoted by a letter next to the route number.   So it's not a matter of being in a bubble, but reading and comprehending.   Since every city is different,  it's just a matter of following the instructions given.  If the instructions say take the 10, then that's what it is.  It's not hard.  

 

Posted
2 hours ago, wayfaringrob said:

 

 

You are all proving my point. I'm not being theoretical. No, it's not difficult if you know the system, and that the number would be different, and that the app would note it, and that you could ask the driver. Who has 5-10 minutes and the patience to start doing research at the freaking bus stop when you're trying to get somehwere?! Not everyone is YOU, who is so interested in the system that you have an account on this website. I am particularly talking about making the system more accessible and appealing to those who do not ride often or new to the system. I am sharing what I have already heard from actual people like this. Get out of your bubble.

I think you are the one missing the point.  10 is essentially a tourist bus to get riders to the MSI and OPC. That's what the sign says. It's not for commuters going to 62nd and Dorchester or transferring to #15 to get to Van Vlissigan. A tourist doesn't have to know the system to figure out where 10 goes. If you're complaining about anything, it is that the NB sign says WATER TOWER, but I suppose that whoever is taking the return trip knows where he or she initially boarded.

1 hour ago, MetroShadow said:

 

At the risk of quoting everyone in the last few hours - do we need to renumber the limited/express buses? Because if we're looking at improving the customer experience (tourists or otherwise), then Planning should (?) look at the entire system and redo the numbering system.

My vote (relevant to the thread) would be the 10 - MSI/Obama Express

There was Kruesi's plan to renumber everything, and King Richard II told him what to do with it.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I. actually moved to the Twin Cities at one time and had to learn their system from scratch .  They had routes which had branches .  The branch was denoted by a letter next to the route number.   So it's not a matter of being in a bubble, but reading and comprehending.   Since every city is different,  it's just a matter of following the instructions given.  If the instructions say take the 10, then that's what it is.  It's not hard.  

 

I was in a city where variations of Route 91 became 91A and 91B, but only for a short time. But I think the worst example of such a system is WMATA.

Posted
30 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I think you are the one missing the point.  10 is essentially a tourist bus to get riders to the MSI and OPC. That's what the sign says. It's not for commuters going to 62nd and Dorchester or transferring to #15 to get to Van Vlissigan. A tourist doesn't have to know the system to figure out where 10 goes. If you're complaining about anything, it is that the NB sign says WATER TOWER, but I suppose that whoever is taking the return trip knows where he or she initially boarded.

There was Kruesi's plan to renumber everything, and King Richard II told him what to do with it.

I was in a city where variations of Route 91 became 91A and 91B, but only for a short time. But I think the worst example of such a system is WMATA.

Once again, you're missing the point. Per my first post, I am talking about any bus with 'express' in the name. 10 is just an example. Agree that the Kruesi plan was bad, but generally agree that minor changes may be helpful. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I. actually moved to the Twin Cities at one time and had to learn their system from scratch .  They had routes which had branches .  The branch was denoted by a letter next to the route number.   So it's not a matter of being in a bubble, but reading and comprehending.   Since every city is different,  it's just a matter of following the instructions given.  If the instructions say take the 10, then that's what it is.  It's not hard.  

 

Once again, you are someone who likes transit a lot. Congratulations on being holier-than-thou and very intelligent, but just as you say every city is different, people interpret things differently, and I'm not sure why making things clearer and more accessible is so objectionable. It's a public good. And back to my original point, the instructions very well may say take the 10. But if their app doesn't include the name or they aren't looking too closely, the inclusion of express on the headsign may give them pause. You know the system and know that the 10 is the 10. They don't. They may assume that there is an express version of the 10 denoted in the name. I'm not sure how that's unconscionable to you. "It's not hard."

Posted
1 hour ago, wayfaringrob said:

Once again, you're missing the point. Per my first post, I am talking about any bus with 'express' in the name. 10 is just an example. ...

As I demonstrated, 10 is a BAD example. Now, if you arguing that Ashland is a mess because the 9, X9, and N9 have different terminals  I can see that, or that 15 should be 14, but the subject here is 2026 service changes.

Posted
10 hours ago, wayfaringrob said:

 Who has 5-10 minutes and the patience to start doing research at the freaking bus stop when you're trying to get somehwere?! Not everyone is YOU, who is so interested in the system that you have an account on this website. 

First of all why are you waiting until you're standing on the bus stop to figure out where you're going 🥴. Any normal person is gonna take 5-10 min to familiarize how to get there, how long it will take and what time to be at the stop. I don't remember saying that person also needs to know garage codes, interlines or relief points; you don't need to be a transit fan to use common sense. 🤣🤣🤣

  • Upvote 1
Posted
On 4/8/2026 at 11:26 PM, artthouwill said:

 

The question is how this new 10 impacts the 6 and the 28 since those routes will also serve the  Center.  Will it also pull ridership along Stony Island ?

 

I don't think the #10 would impact #6 and 28 much cause it's mainly been a bus to separate the Hyde Park residents and museum crowds on separate buses instead of all crowding onto the #6 so it'll probably mainly stay that way.

Edit: if anything it indirectly gives the U of C full time express service from 57th into Mag Mile, something only reverse peak #2 did and we've on and off discussed hypothetical extensions of #6 further north along with midday #2 service to help Hyde Park service so this is kind of an in between. 

Posted
1 hour ago, renardo870 said:

Will the 10 still be operated by Kedzie, split between Kedzie and 103rd or transferred to 103rd?

There is no point to transfer the 10 to 103rd. Kedzie have A decent amount of artics if that was the issue the 10 will stay with Kedzie 

Posted
5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I don't think the #10 would impact #6 and 28 much cause it's mainly been a bus to separate the Hyde Park residents and museum crowds on separate buses instead of all crowding onto the #6 so it'll probably mainly stay that way.

Edit: if anything it indirectly gives the U of C full time express service from 57th into Mag Mile, something only reverse peak #2 did and we've on and off discussed hypothetical extensions of #6 further north along with midday #2 service to help Hyde Park service so this is kind of an in between. 

Ki think people totally misunderstood my points. 

1. We all know that the 10 is primarily for tourists.  I don't see how anyone can be  confused about adding the word Express to the route name when the MSI (Museum of Science and Industry) and Obama Center is in the name of the route.   

2.  The Obama Center is across the street from a residential complex and Hyde Park high school.   Not that either or both would fill up a bus, but if a 10 is at the library,  certainly a student or resident could catch a 10 there as it would be faster than a 6 or 28 going downtown.  Even though the 192 is primarily for University of Chicago passengers, a person coming from the 4 /X4 could opt to transfer to the 192 as opposed to the 2 depending on their intended destination. 

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...