Bustracker's buses

BusExpert32

This is one of those wait and see situations because a fair number of the NFs 74th originally received are in service this morning on 74th routes.

One also should consider that the delivery of DE60LFs is supposed to start in August, which in turn, starts next week, and 77th undoubtedly will get some. Thus, a lot of "wait and see" unless the insiders are ready to spill the beans.

This might explain, though, why the mentioned buses did not show up on Bus Tracker, but then not the big gaps in the routes.

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One also should consider that the delivery of DE60LFs is supposed to start in August, which in turn, starts next week, and 77th undoubtedly will get some. Thus, a lot of "wait and see" unless the insiders are ready to spill the beans.

This might explain, though, why the mentioned buses did not show up on Bus Tracker, but then not the big gaps in the routes.

The higher #1750's were on Ashland last Friday. #1757, #1758, #1759, #1747, #1750 were there among others that were on the tracker that day like #1741. I do still notice today the same 74th buses on Bustracker that have always been there. The only explanation I could give is that those higher numbered #1740's and 50's have gone to 77th to help work on there Bustracker equipment. Maybe it's just a temporary loan.

The higher #1750's were on Ashland last Friday. #1757, #1758, #1759, #1747, #1750 were there among others that were on the tracker that day like #1741. I do still notice today the same 74th buses on Bustracker that have always been there. The only explanation I could give is that those higher numbered #1740's and 50's have gone to 77th to help work on there Bustracker equipment. Maybe it's just a temporary loan.

Spotted a few more former 74th #1000's yesterday. #1743 and #1759 were on the #3, and #1753 was on the #X4. Strangly enough, so far all of the buses I've seen have not appeared on Bustracker yet.

Spotted a few more former 74th #1000's yesterday. #1743 and #1759 were on the #3, and #1753 was on the #X4. Strangly enough, so far all of the buses I've seen have not appeared on Bustracker yet.

It's sounding more like a swap of NFs between 74th and 77th to give 74th NFs that actually have working Bustracker units in exchange for those 1700s that still were having the worst Clever devices glitches that were keeping them from showing up on Bustracker. The 1700s that remain at 74th are basically those that have been showing up clearly on Bustracker with little problems these past few weeks. 74th at least still has a complement of buses that are fairly new compared to the worst of the worst 6000s that just couldn't be kept in operable conditions to remain on the road.

Either there is a phantom bus on the 148 this afternoon or this route was late in the start of afternoon service. The first bus in PM rush service (1643) to appear on the tracker didn't appear until about 3:15 instead of 3 o'clock as is supposed to be the case. It also seems that Kedzie alternates on the mix of NFs and NABIs used on this route for the PM rush. One day it's more NABI than NF and the next it's more NF than NABI.

One odd thing I did notice is that the Google template now used for Bustracker shows Halsted labeled as Clarendon between Addison and Broadway when Clarendon starts to the north of Broadway when Broadway curves to the northwest just south of Irving Park.

Either there is a phantom bus on the 148 this afternoon or this route was late in the start of afternoon service.
The rain storm could have also had an effect, either on service itself, or radio transmission of the data.

The rain storm could have also had an effect, either on service itself, or radio transmission of the data.

Yes that's true. Sometimes thunderstorms can disrupt the radio frequency my wireless internet connection uses and slow it down big time.

With the 10 and 146 detoured to Michigan Ave this weekend between Michigan/Balbo and Roosevelt/Columbus, I'm noticing that the icons for the buses on both routes are disappearing from the map when they enter the detour zone and suddenly reappearing when the buses reach the normal part of the route again. Looks like there are still cases when the radio signals from the GPS disappears when a bus has to detour from the regular route. That's interesting considering the Monroe detours of the #60 is reflected as is the detour to 79th Street on the 75 74th/75th between Loomis and Ashland because of viaduct work on Loomis north of 76th Street. I suppose it has to be a longterm detour to be reflected on Bustracker and through the GPS.

With the 10 and 146 detoured to Michigan Ave this weekend between Michigan/Balbo and Roosevelt/Columbus, I'm noticing that the icons for the buses on both routes are disappearing from the map when they enter the detour zone and suddenly reappearing when the buses reach the normal part of the route again. Looks like there are still cases when the radio signals from the GPS disappears when a bus has to detour from the regular route. That's interesting considering the Monroe detours of the #60 is reflected as is the detour to 79th Street on the 75 74th/75th between Loomis and Ashland because of viaduct work on Loomis north of 76th Street. I suppose it has to be a longterm detour to be reflected on Bustracker and through the GPS.
I doubt that it is the radio signal, especially for a couple of blocks. On Webwatch, Pace buses show up off of route, so long as the map covers where they are.

I have the feeling that this is another programming glitch.

I doubt that it is the radio signal, especially for a couple of blocks. On Webwatch, Pace buses show up off of route, so long as the map covers where they are.

I have the feeling that this is another programming glitch.

It must be some glitch if it's happening for every single bus involved. It would be a bit of an inconvenience (in this case minor) to not have an accurate sense for when your bus is coming during a short term detour because the buses disappear from the map along the detour route and you may have looked at the tracker after said bus disappeared.

Shows how the software world works. A mechanical or radio problem would be intermittent. A software program is consistent. Then either it is by design or it takes several years to fix (like destination sign readings). On the other hand, something like the public Bus Tracker system providing a way to show the run and badge numbers gets changed pretty quickly. I wonder if the CTA has a spy here, and whether we should be debugging its stuff gratis.

Shows how the software world works. A mechanical or radio problem would be intermittent. A software program is consistent. Then either it is by design or it takes several years to fix (like destination sign readings). On the other hand, something like the public Bus Tracker system providing a way to show the run and badge numbers gets changed pretty quickly. I wonder if the CTA has a spy here, and whether we should be debugging its stuff gratis.

CTA probably has "web spies". New York City MTA has them on SubChat.

Well there's another Archer bus filling in on a Kedzie route. 6536 is indicated on Bustracker as getting ready to begin a trip on the 148 approximately five minutes from my writing this post.

You could say that again for today (well, for this morning's rush that is)...post-270-1218031486_thumb.jpg post-270-1218031523_thumb.jpg post-270-1218031560_thumb.jpg

Found 6524, 6536 (not really surprised), and 6616 on the 12 and 126. I bet there are more out there on different routes, but these are the 3 that I have found so far. Maybe the rest of you will have more luck than me. :)

You could say that again for today (well, for this morning's rush that is)...post-270-1218031486_thumb.jpg post-270-1218031523_thumb.jpg post-270-1218031560_thumb.jpg

Found 6524, 6536 (not really surprised), and 6616 on the 12 and 126. I bet there are more out there on different routes, but these are the 3 that I have found so far. Maybe the rest of you will have more luck than me. :)

6536 and 6616 are still on the 126, but 6524 is no longer on the 12. It may have been a morning rush run filling in.

For me, I still can't imagine how Kedzie as to be so short of buses that Archer (or in this case any garage, which happens to be Archer) has to lend some of its buses. Maybe we should have another Fall/Autumn Pick to re-move some routes to even it out at all 8 garages. :lol:

For me, I still can't imagine how Kedzie as to be so short of buses that Archer (or in this case any garage, which happens to be Archer) has to lend some of its buses. Maybe we should have another Fall/Autumn Pick to re-move some routes to even it out at all 8 garages. :lol:

Considering we're only talking about 4 Archer buses sighted filling in at Kedzie in the past few days, I wouldn't call that much of a shortage. Given Kedzie shares a few routes with Archer, it's just minor summer time mixing like last year when Archer ran some morning runs last summer on 134 and 156 in the morning and at 103rd on the 26 in the PM rush.

Considering we're only talking about 4 Archer buses sighted filling in at Kedzie in the past few days, I wouldn't call that much of a shortage. Given Kedzie shares a few routes with Archer, it's just minor summer time mixing like last year when Archer ran some morning runs last summer on 134 and 156 in the morning and at 103rd on the 26 in the PM rush.

Don't forget the 2 Hyde Park Expresses in the morning rush! :lol: Yeah, I guess it's not much, but in my opinion, I don't really think Archer should be lending Novas to Kedzie or another garage, seeing how it is somewhat short of buses to have Optimas running on high ridership routes, like back in the spring on the 62, and now occasionally on the 60. On the contrary, some Midway routes, like the 55A and 55N, don't need a Nova going around; some 2 or 3 Optimas could be sufficient. Either way, long story short, Archer still is doing pretty well, being generous enough to lend off 3 - 5 Novas while trying to keep everything going smoothly with its own routes and troubles. That's pretty good responsibilty right there :).

Don't forget the 2 Hyde Park Expresses in the morning rush! :lol: Yeah, I guess it's not much, but in my opinion, I don't really think Archer should be lending Novas to Kedzie or another garage, seeing how it is somewhat short of buses to have Optimas running on high ridership routes, like back in the spring on the 62, and now occasionally on the 60. On the contrary, some Midway routes, like the 55A and 55N, don't need a Nova going around; some 2 or 3 Optimas could be sufficient. Either way, long story short, Archer still is doing pretty well, being generous enough to lend off 3 - 5 Novas while trying to keep everything going smoothly with its own routes and troubles. That's pretty good responsibilty right there :).

Agreed 100%.