Run numbers

Busjack

Since discussions about CTA garage codes have been frequent, they indicate that the Pace method of assigning run numbers isn't obvious. Pace2322 has also referred to some run numbers.

The only pattern that seems obvious is that 6XX runs are on Saturday and 7XX runs are on Sunday.

Other than that:

• Is there a garage pattern for run numbers?
  • Would a certain number (such as 203) not be unique to a garage?
  • Was there a significance to the R before the run number on some of the old roll sign run boxes (or RN on the Keeshin, now Academy runs), or did that just mean Run Number?
  • On a route shared among garages (such as 210, 422, or 423), is the run number based on the garage or route?
  • Is something like 8221 now displayed in the run box technically the run number for Lisle route 822, or signifies something else?

Since discussions about CTA garage codes have been frequent, they indicate that the Pace method of assigning run numbers isn't obvious. Pace2322 has also referred to some run numbers.

The only pattern that seems obvious is that 6XX runs are on Saturday and 7XX runs are on Sunday.

Other than that:

• Is there a garage pattern for run numbers?
  • Would a certain number (such as 203) not be unique to a garage?
  • Was there a significance to the R before the run number on some of the old roll sign run boxes (or RN on the Keeshin, now Academy runs), or did that just mean Run Number?
  • On a route shared among garages (such as 210, 422, or 423), is the run number based on the garage or route?
  • Is something like 8221 now displayed in the run box technically the run number for Lisle route 822, or signifies something else?

There is only one pattern for Pace Run Numbers.

For Pace operated divisions

1 is early morning start.

2 is late morning or afternoon/evening start (depending on garage)

3 is split...1/2 morning...1/2 afternoon.

4 is am piece (fill)

5 is pm piece (fill)

6 is Saturday

7 is Sunday

400 and 500 runs are often, but not limited to, trippers and are mostly filled by part timers or full timers working overtime.

As for 01, 02, etc (101,102,401,402), it is nothing more than the order of the buses pulling out of the garage. There is no block...ie. 101-110 would not be Route X, more simply, 101 would leave the garage before 102...Run 101 could be Route A and 102 could be Route B...and so on.

As for the contract carriers...who knows what the logic is. For a long time it was simply the route number. I think Keeshin/Academy is the only place that actually uses a run number is the box.

I think the R being put in the run box was nothing more than a driver having fun, or simply not knowing better. None of the run sheets I ever saw at HQ showed a run with an "R" as being part of the run designation. Many (not all) Elgin buses would have the R in the box...it doesn't mean anything.

As for routes being split between garages, the run is assigned to the garage not the route.

Thanks. It explains such things as a 503 becoming a 214, or something like that at North Shore. At one time I thought North Shore had the 500s and NW the 200s and 300s, but maybe that just indicated that North Shore was using more part timers.

Another aside (mentioning contract carriers) is that Highland Park used to have HPT in the run box, but then switched to Pace run numbers (such as 622 on Saturday). Again, I thought that that was an indication that the operator had changed, but it wasn't.

Obviously, Academy needs some sort of run system for its buses to appear on the IBS.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. It explains such things as a 503 becoming a 214, or something like that at North Shore. At one time I thought North Shore had the 500s and NW the 200s and 300s, but maybe that just indicated that North Shore was using more part timers.

Another aside (mentioning contract carriers) is that Highland Park used to have HPT in the run box, but then switched to Pace run numbers (such as 622 on Saturday). Again, I thought that that was an indication that the operator had changed, but it wasn't.

Obviously, Academy needs some sort of run system for its buses to appear on the IBS.

Academy's IBS run numbers are like 575101. 575 is the code for Academy, 101 is Academy run 1. Academy runs are 1 thru 35, 43, 51 thru 57. 51 thru 57 SHOULD be 36-42, but aren't. As for Academy's run numbers, there is no rational sequence as to start times, end times, anything. Apparently once it did, but over time as runs were changed, existing numbers were kept as trips were added or deleted.

Andre

• 9 years later...
On 2/10/2008 at 11:51 AM, trainman8119 said:

There is only one pattern for Pace Run Numbers.

For Pace operated divisions

1 is early morning start.

2 is late morning or afternoon/evening start (depending on garage)

3 is split...1/2 morning...1/2 afternoon.

4 is am piece (fill)

5 is pm piece (fill)

6 is Saturday

7 is Sunday

400 and 500 runs are often, but not limited to, trippers and are mostly filled by part timers or full timers working overtime.

As for 01, 02, etc (101,102,401,402), it is nothing more than the order of the buses pulling out of the garage. There is no block...ie. 101-110 would not be Route X, more simply, 101 would leave the garage before 102...Run 101 could be Route A and 102 could be Route B...and so on.

As for the contract carriers...who knows what the logic is. For a long time it was simply the route number. I think Keeshin/Academy is the only place that actually uses a run number is the box.

I think the R being put in the run box was nothing more than a driver having fun, or simply not knowing better. None of the run sheets I ever saw at HQ showed a run with an "R" as being part of the run designation. Many (not all) Elgin buses would have the R in the box...it doesn't mean anything.

As for routes being split between garages, the run is assigned to the garage not the route.

Could you explain what you mean by pieces and trippers? Would an example be school runs?  As for Overtime when July third fell on a weekday the buses for the Wilmette Fireworks Shuttle often had 500 series run numbers in the run box. 

4 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Could you explain what you mean by pieces and trippers? Would an example be school runs?  As for Overtime when July third fell on a weekday the buses for the Wilmette Fireworks Shuttle often had 500 series run numbers in the run box. 

Not all  picked runs are 4 or  8 hours. Your example of school trips sounds right,   if they aren't interlined with  something else.

A lot of afternoon work at North Shore used to be 500s but now is 200s , so  I guess they have more full-time work. The last I looked, most of the Shuttle Bugs were 300s. 

But one thing our firefighter  friend pointed out when he applied for part time work at NS, part time isn't flex schedule; you have to work per the pick, and most of NS's work is weekday rush hour.

I was just using the above example of the fireworks shuttles because most of those operators were working overtime which may explain why I saw allot of 500's in the run boxes on the buses used for that service. Yes with the exception of the 215 and 213 most of North Shores work is weekday rush hours. I think the Shuttle bugs are 300's because those are split shifts. I also  found out through an operator that some 213 and 215 trips are interlined, why would they do this? 

• 4 weeks later...
9 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Her is an example of a Fireworks shuttle with a 500 run. So what would run 5912 or maybe it's run 5913 indicate? Would this be an example of a PM piece filled with a operator working overtime?

It isn't a normal run, because 500s only are something like 50x or 51x. It's probably just something to get the destination sign up, sort of like the run boxes on feeders having the route rather than the run number.

In fact I'm surprised it had a destination sign and that you are so bothered about a 1 day operation.

• 8 months later...
On 9/26/2017 at 8:28 AM, Busjack said:

It isn't a normal run, because 500s only are something like 50x or 51x. It's probably just something to get the destination sign up, sort of like the run boxes on feeders having the route rather than the run number.

In fact I'm surprised it had a destination sign and that you are so bothered about a 1 day operation.

Or the Ravinia buses that have the bus number in the run box.

• 3 years later...
On 1/14/2022 at 2:54 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I got a question: for one specific division are the run numbers reused for different routes at the same division or there’s just only one run number per bus at a specific day that belongs to one driver?

Essentially, and this is going from my days back there, every garage has its own series of runs (so they all use the same approach - 100 FT, 200 Splits, Saturday, Sunday, etc). Keep in mind that a run could be used to cover multiple routes (interlining or deadheads to new routes).

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/25/2017 at 11:08 PM, MRChiCity said:

Her is an example of a Fireworks shuttle with a 500 run. So what would run 5912 or maybe it's run 5913 indicate? Would this be an example of a PM piece filled with a operator working overtime? 

Pace Wilmette Fireworks Shuttle Bus

All I of these nabi buses pave had been retired by now right?