Buses Shorturning

cta5658

Any evidence that the bus actually shortturned, or just had the wrong sign? If going northbound, it would be somewhat unlikely that a feeder would run short of the 95th station, but I don't know. Maybe you can illuminate us on this.

Up here in Rogers Park I tend to see #22 Clark buses signed for Foster from time to time.

I think those 22 to Foster runs return to North Park garage, not short turn.

I've seen the 82 short turn at Lawrence, the 77 and 80 at the Blue Line, and the 66 at Chicago & Fairbanks.

I think those 22 to Foster runs return to North Park garage, not short turn.

I've seen the 82 short turn at Lawrence, the 77 and 80 at the Blue Line, and the 66 at Chicago & Fairbanks.

22 busses tend to short turn majorly at Arthur and Clark terminal just one block north of Devon Ave. Another possibility is at Clark and Belle Plaine via Southport back to Irving such as the 9 Ashland turns around. Aside from that, 22s signed for Foster are pullins.

There are other short turns:

49 X49 at Belmont via Belmont, Campell/Roscoe back to Western, or Lincoln/Western Brown Line loop

56 Logan Square or Cicero, Irving Park, Kilpatrick back to Milwaukee south. or Halsted via Grand, Hubbard and Halsted back to Milwaukee

77 at Belmont/Octavia loop, Blue Line or Halsted loop

78 at Chicago Read Hospital (Oak Park/Forest Preserve)

80 X80 at Blue Line

85 at Jeff Park back south

86 at North Avenue/Narragansett loop or Wright College

90 at Grand/Nordica or via Wabansia, Neva, North Ave back to Harlem

91 at Madison, Division, Chicago or Jackson loops

92 at North Park Garage

just to name a few more.....

22 busses tend to short turn majorly at Arthur and Clark terminal just one block north of Devon Ave. Another possibility is at Clark and Belle Plaine via Southport back to Irving such as the 9 Ashland turns around. Aside from that, 22s signed for Foster are pullins.

There are other short turns:

49 X49 at Belmont via Belmont, Campell/Roscoe back to Western, or Lincoln/Western Brown Line loop

56 Logan Square or Cicero, Irving Park, Kilpatrick back to Milwaukee south. or Halsted via Grand, Hubbard and Halsted back to Milwaukee

77 at Belmont/Octavia loop, Blue Line or Halsted loop

78 at Chicago Read Hospital (Oak Park/Forest Preserve)

80 X80 at Blue Line

85 at Jeff Park back south

86 at North Avenue/Narragansett loop or Wright College

90 at Grand/Nordica or via Wabansia, Neva, North Ave back to Harlem

91 at Madison, Division, Chicago or Jackson loops

92 at North Park Garage

just to name a few more.....

The 92 doesn't operate out of North Park so if it was "switched" it would probably do so at Kedzie or Kimball to Bryn Mawr or Peterson to Elston to return to "The Glen"

The 92 doesn't operate out of North Park so if it was "switched" it would probably do so at Kedzie or Kimball to Bryn Mawr or Peterson to Elston to return to "The Glen"

I'm assuming that you didn't notice the "FG" in my screen name, which stands for "Forest Glen" which indicates I operate from that garage. So I mean no disrespect.

Secondly, we are able to use the garage property as a turnaround, and it has been done. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the route doesn't operate from North Park. And that statement is only partially true...because a few school trippers are North Park based. Thats besides the point..

Thanks.

I'm assuming that you didn't notice the "FG" in my screen name, which stands for "Forest Glen" which indicates I operate from that garage. So I mean no disrespect.

Secondly, we are able to use the garage property as a turnaround, and it has been done. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the route doesn't operate from North Park. And that statement is only partially true...because a few school trippers are North Park based. Thats besides the point..

Thanks.

I've seen this done at least once when I used to come from school to a friend's house.

I know a lot of the north shore express buses have shorturns; I know some exist, but a few I didn't know:

22 to Monroe, Jackson, or Congress

(but I've seen Division once)

36 to the same

(although Diversey was listed, as well as Waveland trip back in the 90's)

92 to Kedzie

(I don't know how that bus would make the loop had it not been for the garage)

136 to Bryn Mawr

(I think that's to go back downtown)

145 to Belmont

(this one was different because the sign never said 145 MICH EXP to Belmont, it said 145 WILSON to Belmont

147 to Morse/Red Line

(either that bus was to become a 96 or 155, or what?)

and my personal favorite: 290 TOUHY to McCormick

22s to Jackson are common now during the AM rush for three-track. Due to destination sign programming issues, some buses may have carried 22 to Monroe or 22 to Congress signs.

92 to Kedzie is used once per day (at least, scheduled to be used once per day) as the bus comes from Forest Glen to serve Northside College Prep's dismissal (at Catalpa & Kedzie).

The others aren't in the current schedule (other than the 290), but I suppose could be used from time to time for emergency short-turns, or supplemental service for some reason or another.

I remember early 2005 that a North Park, 92 Route turning left from Kimball to Foster going east. I think that but was a Michigan Express Run because after the bus terminate at the Berwyn & Broadway Red Line Station his bus changes straight to 146. I think it was another time when I saw a Sheridan Run Number parked at Berwyn. I think that day was a Sunday because the Glen Foster buses stop running in the early evening. The Bus States "92 to Foster" parking in front of the station. I saw in when I was riding northbound on the Red Line train. I dunno if they're runs when Sheridan end at Foster and then head to the Berwyn station and do a westbound Foster run only to Albany since that was almost 2 1/2 Years ago.

Many bus shorturnings happen when buses run way ahead of time and if they need to switchback. That's the main reason why they have those other destination signs to be used. Like there's a few that I saw over the years:

55 Garfield to Indiana, Western & Red Line You regually see "55 Garfield to St. Louis" during Weekday Mid-day, Saturday Mid-Day & Daily Night Owl Service. And of course "55 Garfield to Ashland" for Pull-Ins.

9 Ashland to 63rd - (You can see those buses go northbound from 74th frequently when those buses start there 63rd Street Night Owl Service)

49 Western to Addison - I rarely see this since many buses are on the street going northbound and southbound down Western frequently.

67 67th-69th-71st to 69th/Ashland - On some runs they pull in from there but on Saturday Runs they turnaround at this spot from doing a Westbound Trip and go back east. I dunno how they turn around from that point but I assume they use either Ashland, Marquette, Loomis & 69th; Ashland, 71st, Damen & 69th or Ashland, Marquette, Damen & 69th.

67 67th-69th-71st to 69th/Western - You'll see this many times during the weekday runs, sunday runs and Daily Very Late evening Service. Buses makes a right at Western and Layover next to Church's Chicken before going back east. They go via Western, Marquette, Damen and Back to 69th. CTA needs to move the bus stop to Across The Street so passengers would get the bus when the turn left from Damen. Buses also pull in from this point when drivers do their last trip from the Red Line using Western, Marquette, Damen and and they go straight to 74th.

67 67th-69th-71st to Stony Island - On Some Morning Trips, buses uses Cornell Drive to Marquette Drive and turn Left to Stony and go back to do their westbound trips on 67th.

12 Roosevelt to Western - I use to see this frequently on Weekday Mornings. They did supplemental trips from Indiana to Western but since they have the #127, they got rid of those trips. Speaking of which...

12 Roosevelt to Indiana - Which this was the former eastbound terminal before they built the bridge. They only use this during early morning trips when they don't go to the Museum Campus.

82 Kimball-Homan to Belmont - It use to be only early sunday morning & Sunday Night runs terminate at Belmont & Kimball. Now since this past pick, they made all of the late sunday trips go all the way to Devon.

151 Sheridan to Belmont - Don't get Confused with "151 Sheridan to Belmont/Halsted". When they buses go to Belmont Only, They Deadhead back to Union Station via the Outer Drive & Lower Wacker to Upper Wacker at Monroe and turn right to Adams to Canal.

Just to name more:

22 Clark to Devon

9 Ashland to Madison

78 Montrose to Elston - Westbound Trip only Pull In from there to FG

78 Montrose to Central - Eastbound Trip only Pull In from there to FG but they seldomly use this.

152 Addison to Austin, Harlem & Central (for Pull In)

103 W 103 to Vincennes - This is during Early Morning & Very Late Evening Trips.

79 79th to 81st & Pulaski - You see this frequently use the turnaround during school trips at Bogan High School but I seen the sign on a Saturday Night. I guess that driver was too late.

63 63rd to Kedzie - They used the 63rd Place Terminal.

There's so many different signs I can name of including one Flxible bus that I saw not too long ago and I thought they deleted that sign many years ago.

11 Lincoln to Congress/Wells - This was when the 11 Lincoln was first going downtown before it was cut more then 10 years ago. The Destination Sign was broken to begin with but it was shocking to see that sign up their.

And to what cta_44499_FG has stated about any buses from parking at a different garages. I was standing at the 103 Garage Terminal I saw a 77th Nova drove at the turnaround. I guess she was finishing her 71st-South Shore run or something. I guess she used the Ladies room or something. I don't blame her. Well just to cut with the chase, anything that has the cta logo they can put it whereever they want, as long if its CTA Property.

Well I have don't have a lot to say here, but I do have a few examples of buses shortturning.

- #78, #80, #152, and #77 to and from Cental for pull ins and pull outs

- #X54 to Chicago for pull ins

- #53 between Irving Park Blue Line and Harrison for owl trips

- #73 to Pulaski for pull ins

- I've also rode the #86 bus(Flxible 6000) once back in October 2006 and when we were going south the bus was going southbound to North Ave., instead of to Ridgeland Green Line. I don't know if this is the cause, but a new driver was operating the bus and a line instructor was telling him everything about driving a bus. Can someone here explain why this would occur. #86 to North Ave.

Thanks.

You are correct FG When I worked at Kedzie on the 21 Cermak when the need arose I turned it around at the old lawndale Garage when it was still there. Supervisors permission or sometimes my own. It was a good spot because it was closed so you could park it off the street and out of traffic.