RTS 08 vs. "real" RTSs

Which is the better RTS?  

10 members have voted

1. 1.

• RTS 08
    • RTS 04/06

I have ridden both (probably 03s and 08s), and aesthetically don't find any difference. Pictures of the last few from Nova in Cleveland and Dallas show a different frame for the destination sign than the 08s in Chicago, but that doesn't seem significant.

The main differences I have noticed:

• The doors on the original RTSs (that flopped against the sides of the bus when opened) would open when the bus lost air pressure, and the interlocks would stop the bus while en route.
  • The plastic in those buses squeaked like crazy. The CTA 4400s don't seem to do that.

As previously mentioned,the reason the 08 was developed is that the FTA ruled that the CTA specification that the lift be at the front of the bus was legitimate.

Also, imo, any RTS is much better looking than the subsequent Orions, NABIs, New Flyers, or any other box bus (except, perhaps an Invero or if we get the New Flyers with the Vancouver front end).

My other aesthetic complaint is that elsewhere, the RTSs had cheerful light brown or blue interiors; both CTA and Pace buses have the black front and gray sides.

We haven't had rts' here since the early 90's. For some reason, Port Authority stayed away from reordering them since the infamous neoplan "Pennliner" order in the early 80's. They were respectivelly replaced with the orion v. Oh yeah, do you happen to know when the new rts extreme is going into production?

In terms of aesthetics, I think the original RTS still looks contemporary today despite being essentially a nearly forty year old design, while the RTS-08 looks distinctly '80s, even though it was introduced in 1989! Then again, the later model RTS-08s with the headlights in the bumper make CTA's look beautiful.

I looked at Tucson's buses on www.western-transit.com and I see the difference, though it does not make much of an impact to me(by the way LBT 08s have headlights in the body). I don't see why they just didn't extend the front end, widen the front doors for provision for a wheelchair lift, and keep the original profile? Anyone know?

By the way, I am not trying to offend anyone's opinions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 15 years later...
On 8/9/2005 at 8:07 PM, venom_20 said:

We haven't had rts' here since the early 90's. For some reason, Port Authority stayed away from reordering them since the infamous neoplan "Pennliner" order in the early 80's. They were respectivelly replaced with the orion v. Oh yeah, do you happen to know when the new rts extreme is going into production?

They ordered 60ft in 2004 and were the last US buses made by NEOPLAN.

48 minutes ago, jesi2282 said:

Agreed. This has been happening a lot lately. A random reply 15 years later... ???

To be fair, it's usually new members who may not know what had been previously posted.  Some threads have over 50 pages of posts.  Some subjects are discussed in multiple threads.  Most people tend to respond to the most recent posts. 

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Sam92 said:

As part of these forum guidelines please refrain from constantly replying and bringing up old topics without good reason. It’s causing unnecessary alerts

Think about the fact that I literally just joined 2 days ago so I wasn't here to comment when the topic was originally discussed..... I would think you can turn off notifications, but I don't know the site's inner workings. No need to be a prick about it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Sam92 said:

As part of these forum guidelines please refrain from constantly replying and bringing up old topics without good reason. It’s causing unnecessary alerts

And for the record, I didn't bring up an old topic. I just responded to an older post, there's a difference. But again, you don't need to be so insensitive about it. Defeats the purpose of a forum if you can't discuss old topics. Remember, everyone wasn't here 15years ago to comment on it so be mindful that new users may come in and want to contribute to conversation. I like this site, but don't be that guy please.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

To be fair, it's usually new members who may not know what had been previously posted.  Some threads have over 50 pages of posts.  Some subjects are discussed in multiple threads.  Most people tend to respond to the most recent posts. 

20 hours ago, jesi2282 said:

Agreed. This has been happening a lot lately. A random reply 15 years later... ???

11 hours ago, SlickFlair_859 said:

And for the record, I didn't bring up an old topic. I just responded to an older post, there's a difference. But again, you don't need to be so insensitive about it. Defeats the purpose of a forum if you can't discuss old topics. Remember, everyone wasn't here 15years ago to comment on it so be mindful that new users may come in and want to contribute to conversation. I like this site, but don't be that guy please.

No ones being insensitive considering this forum has been spread out and has a lot of choppy repetitive topics. There’s a quote feature that can move these replies to a more modern and still relevant “random cta/pace/Metra thread or the general discussion threads so veterans aren’t waking up to a line of long dead topics showing up as new and having to sort through them to get to the ongoing active discussions. 

17 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

No ones being insensitive considering this forum has been spread out and has a lot of choppy repetitive topics. There’s a quote feature that can move these replies to a more modern and still relevant “random cta/pace/Metra thread or the general discussion threads so veterans aren’t waking up to a line of long dead topics showing up as new and having to sort through them to get to the ongoing active discussions. 

On my phone,  I only initially see the newest posts,  which I prefer using my phone instead of the laptop.  Again, new users don't yet know the ropes zone yoy have to cut them some slack.  It may be old yo us but new to them.  We want to welcome people not turn them off.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

On my phone,  I only initially see the newest posts,  which I prefer using my phone instead of the laptop.  Again, new users don't yet know the ropes zone yoy have to cut them some slack.  It may be old yo us but new to them.  We want to welcome people not turn them off.

Eh I wasn’t trying to attack moreso keep a medium. To be honest a lot of this stuff could be consolidated anyway it’s not jsut a him thing. Heck general transit discussion is pretty much a nationwide “random cta/pace/Metra thread” lol