More Bus Moves

sw4400

2 hours ago, BusOps said:

In the morning #8199, when I saw it, was by the transportation building. Then it was moved to the 3rd lot where the scrapped buses are. I also saw in the afternoon #8197 in that same lot.

So far nothing seems to be in service. My gut tells me, that usually CTA puts out new equipment even if it is training buses on Fridays. I don't know, we might see one tomorrow but I'd be more confident in that statement if the buses were there all week. So it could also be early next week. I think the #5499 incident at jeff happened on the weekend, the terminal is kind of busy to do that on a weekday. Probably if one went out tomorrow I see the #5499 scenario happening otherwise maybe next weekend.

With the #6712 training bus, once the bus started training on the street it was basically out most rush hours and it was always on the #54A. I remember seeing it there and one other operator drove it there that we know of on the forum. Something quiet will be selected it's either that or the jeff feeders. The jeff feeders though they would be in communication with a supervisor if things went wrong.

9 hours ago, sw4400 said:

8197,8198(when it goes into service) and 8199 are probably loaners for training purposes for FG Operators and Mechanics.

FG probably won't see #8198, something is obviously wrong with it. They usually only have two trainers. In a couple weeks training should be complete and they'll get #8200 and maybe something else if it comes in by then. Then either the trainers will go back or if there's not many new buses they could stick around for a little while.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

FG probably won't see #8198, something is obviously wrong with it. They usually only have two trainers. In a couple weeks training should be complete and they'll get #8200 and maybe something else if it comes in by then. Then either the trainers will go back or if there's not many new buses they could stick around for a little while.

Maybe 8198 is in the FG building. Maybe they've had the bus all along..... as far as something being wrong, that's a possibility, but with all the Prevost personnel in Chicago right now, I'm sure they could diagnose 8198's problem, contact Nova Bus to ship some emergency parts for repair and get the bus road ready in a few weeks' time, all right from wherever the bus sits(SS or FG).

1 hour ago, sw4400 said:

Maybe 8198 is in the FG building. Maybe they've had the bus all along..... as far as something being wrong, that's a possibility, but with all the Prevost personnel in Chicago right now, I'm sure they could diagnose 8198's problem, contact Nova Bus to ship some emergency parts for repair and get the bus road ready in a few weeks' time, all right from wherever the bus sits(SS or FG).

For that to be true it would have had to go on the assignment list the last few days. Andre said it wasn't on the weekend. Then #8197 shows up at the glen. To me that's a red herring #8198 is out of action for this. #8198 was received I believe 3/23 yet it's still out of service and #8199's like the standard 2-3 weeks old before it goes to a garage. It was received I believe two weeks after #8198 at south shops.

As far as Prevost going to FG, I don't know if they would do that, I never heard of it. They are at south shops because the buses are still in an acceptance phase and still their responsibility. Once CTA receives them they are CTA's responsibility except for warranty coverage. They could easily loan over a few south shops mechanics to train the FG ones as they should be pretty familiar with them now they've been seeing them on a daily basis for a year or so. Maybe they can explain to them why it has two fuel or electrical access panels outside the bus. I still don't know that one. (that goes back to the observation I made while onboard the #7900's at the rodeo 9/13/14 in the #7900's thread, I'd post the link, but my paste function seems to be corrupt on this laptop) It should be fun to see this summer if FG can overcome how hot these buses get in the summer. I think the ventilation system isn't designed right and then I was noticing there's no hopper window for the back side window, so if you're hot, you're hot!!

17 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

For that to be true it would have had to go on the assignment list the last few days. Andre said it wasn't on the weekend. Then #8197 shows up at the glen. To me that's a red herring #8198 is out of action for this. #8198 was received I believe 3/23 yet it's still out of service and #8199's like the standard 2-3 weeks old before it goes to a garage. It was received I believe two weeks after #8198 at south shops.

As far as Prevost going to FG, I don't know if they would do that, I never heard of it. They are at south shops because the buses are still in an acceptance phase and still their responsibility. Once CTA receives them they are CTA's responsibility except for warranty coverage. They could easily loan over a few south shops mechanics to train the FG ones as they should be pretty familiar with them now they've been seeing them on a daily basis for a year or so. Maybe they can explain to them why it has two fuel or electrical access panels outside the bus. I still don't know that one. It should be fun to see this summer if FG can overcome how hot these buses get in the summer. I think the ventilation system isn't designed right and then I was noticing there's no hopper window for the back side window, so if you're hot, you're hot!!

I think you're reading too much into 8198. There have been other 7900s to take a while to go into revenue service after said unit was delivered into CTA possession without there being something wrong.with that unit. That includes the very first buses of the series. They were around for at least a month before actually being put on the road on an actual route assignment. But you have touched on things possibly getting interesting on Ashland with the 9 and X9 if they haven't found a solution to the engine's exhaust heat overpowering the bus's air conditioning at the rear of the bus and the Nova takeover on Ashland extends far enough into the warm weather months as the coming weeks unfold.

5 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I think you're reading too much into 8198. There have been other 7900s to take a while to go into revenue service after said unit was delivered into CTA possession without there being something wrong.with that unit. That includes the very first buses of the series. They were around for at least a month before actually being put on the road on an actual route assignment. But you have touched on things possibly getting interesting on Ashland with the 9 and X9 if they haven't found a solution to the engine's exhaust heat overpowering the bus's air conditioning at the rear of the bus and the Nova takeover on Ashland extends far enough into the warm weather months as the coming weeks unfold.

Maybe, but #8198 is going on 35 days and if it were going in service soon it probably would have went to the glen. I should check my #7900's lists and see is that the longest a bus was at south shops. Some buses do get delayed and #8194 has probably spooked the inspection process. So if CTA now sees something it wants to check out they will, instead of passing it. If #8194 had a defect, then I'd really like to know what bus was next on that Novabus assembly line. Maybe it was #8198.

As far as Ashland CTA will probably get some NF's online soon, but first they need to do some transferring, but I don't see why they couldn't do the #1500 block they got from 103rd. That's a good 40-50 buses that they will be keeping at 74th. 

18 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe, but #8198 is going on 35 days and if it were going in service soon it probably would have went to the glen. I should check my #7900's lists and see is that the longest a bus was at south shops. Some buses do get delayed and #8194 has probably spooked the inspection process. So if CTA now sees something it wants to check out they will, instead of passing it. If #8194 had a defect, then I'd really like to know what bus was next on that Novabus assembly line. Maybe it was #8198.

As far as Ashland CTA will probably get some NF's online soon, but first they need to do some transferring, but I don't see why they couldn't do the #1500 block they got from 103rd. That's a good 40-50 buses that they will be keeping at 74th. 

Well I'm just trying to help you keep from getting too close to being guilty of product defamation for all our sake, especially Kevin, Garmon and MetroShadow's in their capacity as forum moderators. ;):) You may be on to something about what buses could be made available for Ashland use in the short term. When 74th sent NFs out on the Ashland owl service during the weekend almost a couple weeks ago, most of those NFs that were out were 1500s formerly at 103rd, outside of the 1400 I happened to be aboard and about a couple other buses.

20 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Well I'm just trying to help you keep from getting too close to being guilty of product defamation for all our sake, especially Kevin, Garmon and MetroShadow's in their capacity as forum moderators. ;):) You may be on to something about what buses could be made available for Ashland use in the short term. When 74th sent NFs out on the Ashland owl service during the weekend almost a couple weeks ago, most of those NFs that were out were 1500s formerly at 103rd, outside of the 1400 I happened to be aboard and about a couple other buses.

I don't think I'm being defamatory. Just stating the facts working the problem. I just like to problem solve. I'm sure if there is an issue the mods would have told me. But thanks anyway.

22 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I don't think I'm being defamatory. Just stating the facts working the problem. I just like to problem solve. I'm sure if there is an issue the mods would have told me. But thanks anyway.

It's still a thin line between problem solving and getting into defamation even if it's not intended. You don't know that there is a problem on 8198 to even solve. So you have to be careful with implying that there might be. That's why I gave that friendly suggestion to be mindful and be careful with suggestions left hanging in the air surrounding that bus. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, BusOps said:

They are still in the same spot as yesterday afternoon, haven't moved.

So much for training the mechanics. xD Maybe when the operators at 74th said they saw the bus for the first time at a relief that applies to mechanics too. Hopefully they at least get a technical manual if that's the case.

2 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So much for training the mechanics. xD Maybe when the operators at 74th said they saw the bus for the first time at a relief that applies to mechanics too. Hopefully they at least get a technical manual if that's the case.

I would bet that the mechanics at FG have already been trained on the new Novas months before these two buses showed up. CTA likes to cross train their personal and have no problem shipping someone temporarily to another garage/shop for training.

18 minutes ago, BusOps said:

I would bet that the mechanics at FG have already been trained on the new Novas months before these two buses showed up. CTA likes to cross train their personal and have no problem shipping someone temporarily to another garage/shop for training.

Yeah your probably right. South shops does the heavy maintenance anyway, so I don't know where the maintenance line is drawn for FG. But mechanics should know the basics regardless of what model they have. Tire changes, brakes stuff like that should be universal but the buses are so new they probably need zero maintenance at least while they are under warranty. I don't know for instance do they touch engines and transmissions, maybe just for maintenance but no way for overhauls.

CTA buses look to be pretty new by 2017, I thought Busjack might have mentioned somewhere they might want to layoff a few mechanics. While the #6400's are fix or repair daily (my problem with Fords) these #7900's are probably not as bad off (might be 80-90 percent less maintenance) So why do they need mechanics, at least in great numbers.

35 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah your probably right. South shops does the heavy maintenance anyway, so I don't know where the maintenance line is drawn for FG. But mechanics should know the basics regardless of what model they have. Tire changes, brakes stuff like that should be universal but the buses are so new they probably need zero maintenance at least while they are under warranty. I don't know for instance do they touch engines and transmissions, maybe just for maintenance but no way for overhauls.

CTA buses look to be pretty new by 2017, I thought Busjack might have mentioned somewhere they might want to layoff a few mechanics. While the #6400's are fix or repair daily (my problem with Fords) these #7900's are probably not as bad off (might be 80-90 percent less maintenance) So why do they need mechanics, at least in great numbers.

Well for minor components(e.g lights, fuses, fuel pumps/injectors), garage staff can have the bus up and operational in a short time. If it's major, like transmission failure, axle breakage, airbag failure, etc..., the bus will be towed(or driven if possible) to South Shops for major repairs. But with modern technology of today, even fuses and fuel pumps require diagnostic codes, I'm sure. That's why FG Mechanics should be getting trained(if not already trained) on how to do basic maintenance and upkeep on the 7900-Series Novas.

Interesting thought on 8198.... maybe the Prevost people and CTA brass are keeping it with 8194 as a comparison, to see what's wrong in 8194's engine and if it's something that may be in more buses than just the one, hence why 8198 is not in service and not seen since delivery.

49 minutes ago, sw4400 said:

Well for minor components(e.g lights, fuses, fuel pumps/injectors), garage staff can have the bus up and operational in a short time. If it's major, like transmission failure, axle breakage, airbag failure, etc..., the bus will be towed(or driven if possible) to South Shops for major repairs. But with modern technology of today, even fuses and fuel pumps require diagnostic codes, I'm sure. That's why FG Mechanics should be getting trained(if not already trained) on how to do basic maintenance and upkeep on the 7900-Series Novas.

Interesting thought on 8198.... maybe the Prevost people and CTA brass are keeping it with 8194 as a comparison, to see what's wrong in 8194's engine and if it's something that may be in more buses than just the one, hence why 8198 is not in service and not seen since delivery.

#8198 is at south shops, been there for 35 days. #8194 might be off property at bus and truck or somewhere that does contracted heavy maintenance even though it's a free warranty item hopefully. Something is not to CTA's liking on #8198, at least that has been established.  Andre said it hasn't yet made acceptance after all this time. If it's the same problem as #8194 it needs to be reinstalled. While the part itself might be easy to obtain for Novabus it might not be easy to install. It might need the bus and truck treatment too. We'll know if we don't see it for months.

As far as the first point a technical manual would cover that, BusOps says that mechanics routinely train within other garages so they should already know what's going on with the buses. The only explanation I can come up with why then are the #8197,99's sitting is it must need a sign off by the FG transportation manager. (big guy) These buses are there responsibility and if anything happens to them it reflects on them, so they want to make sure this is done right.

35 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

As far as the first point a technical manual would cover that...

Maybe, but they would need to know about how to understand and work with the computer programs on laptops that plug into the engine computer to pull and read the codes. That was one thing the Prevost personnel taught the South Shops personnel when the 7900's first appeared way back in 2014. I don't know how long it takes to go over all codes and programs on the computers with the garage personnel. If they follow the same training protocol as was mentioned about the Bombardier "L" Cars, then not all personnel know how to work with these vehicles. It would, IMO, make sense for everyone to know how to work and operate these vehicles in case they are transferred to a location that uses them(e.g: Brown Line Operator goes to Red Line, Kedzie Operator goes to 74th). It would be prudent that if you're a Bus Operator, Rail Operator or Mechanic of Bus or Rail, you know how to operate and fix all equipment.

On April 25, 2016 at 6:34 PM, jajuan said:

CTA states on its web site though that it won't be until Thursday that the 7 and 60 go back to their normal routing on Harrison between Morgan and Canal/Clinton, ending their several year long detours.

Indeed #7 and #60 are back to their original routes after a multiyear hiatus. 

image.jpeg

4 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Indeed #7 and #60 are back to their original routes after a multiyear hiatus. 

image.jpeg

Now CTA just has to update both routes' alignments and stops from the detour back to their normal configurations through that area so folks who may not have seen the alerts won't be confused even though signs undoubtedly are posted out there mentioning that both routes have returned to normal. :P Now the only detours the #7 should be under is that short term one from this week near its downtown terminus because of the NFL Draft activities and cleanup and that long term one near Adams and Wacker because of the Adams Bridge reconstruction project.

Traffic must really be a mess in downtown tonight because BusTracker was actually showing bus #1922 working as a #136 just getting to Lake Shore Drive from Wacker Drive a few minutes ago and the last trip for the PM rush of that route should actually be just finishing up at Devon/Broadway about now. So that bus is a good 45 mins behind at least.