More Bus Moves

sw4400

To ask this question, so I don't go off-topic in another thread, I thought I'd create this one...

Today, I boarded CTA Bus #6102 operating the #152. It sounded different than usual. Noiser and more turbo sound on acceleration. Anyone else know if this bus just has a bad exaust system, a turbo system added or turned on in the Detroit Series-50 engine on it, or has it been fitted with a Cummins C8.3 engine? The sound reminded me vaguely of a Cummins C8.3 6300-Series bus(noisy engine + turbo sound during acceleration).

You may use this thread to share stories about a ride on the CTA Buses/Trains, but please watch your words(The CTA has many people that anger us, both Operators and Passengers, but we must keep a civil tone here)!!!

No personal attacks: Hateful language and discrimination of any kind will not be tolerated by Kevin(Taken from Kevin's posting guidelines).

I'm sure this means swear words too, so let's try to keep swear words to a minimum!

To ask this question, so I don't go off-topic in another thread, I thought I'd create this one...

Today, I boarded CTA Bus #6102 operating the #152. It sounded different than usual. Noiser and more turbo sound on acceleration. Anyone else know if this bus just has a bad exaust system, a turbo system added or turned on in the Detroit Series-50 engine on it, or has it been fitted with a Cummins C8.3 engine? The sound reminded me vaguely of a Cummins C8.3 6300-Series bus(noisy engine + turbo sound during acceleration).

was that flx a refurbished one?if it was the exuast was probably just horrible.did the bus like make any jerking while pulling off?

Not all buses of the same model will sound the same. Its possible if the bus was rehabbed usually engine work is performed as well and maybe this creates a change in tune. The TMCs before their rehab work were very noisy and emitted lots of exhaust. After the rehab I noticed they sounded much quieter and not as much exhaust from the bottom tail pipe. Same thing goes for the Pace Orions Is, some sound louder than others but of course the same engine type.

I find it hard to believe how some customers act on a bus these days!!! :angry:

Last night, I was on the #152 E/B(bus #6097). As we approached Kilpatrick or Kildare(one of the "K" streets), a guy rang the bell and as the bus slows down to the stop(the Flxibles tend to lumber to a stop, as do most buses), the guy nearly runs right into the dashboard in front(he doesn't even bother to hold the poles as he's walking). He then stops and stares at the bus driver(a female) for several seconds, then stares at all of us in the bus. I politely motioned for the guy to get off the bus, as others probably wanted to get where they're going as close to on time as possible. He got off without incident, but continued staring from the sidewalk below.

Later, a Supervisor is at Cicero and tells her to turn back around at Broadway, due to the fact that she was late. Things go well until the Blue Line, when a elderly man gets on board. She tells all passengers she isn't going past Broadway(like she has since being informed of the route change). He mutters to her that the destination sign says 'To Lake Shore', to which she snaps back to him 'I'm telling you this bus only goes to Broadway, don't read the front of the bus!'. I was pretty close to telling him at this point to get off and take your free ride to the next bus! There are plenty of paying customers like me who want to get to our destinations!!! Listen to the operator and hold on to the poles when walking to the front/rear of the bus to exit!!!

Think that was something, you should take a ride on #6101 the bus engine sounds like a TMC and the trans almost seems to shift like it was a TMC. It seems to have been rebuilt using TMC parts. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought it might be helpful to start a generic thread, considering the possibility that the CTA Bus Shuffle could be continuing for a while.

Since the high 1500s started arriving at 74th, it looks as if at least five 6000s from 74th have found a new home at The Glen: 6197 & 6199-6202.

Installment 1 of ???? !

I thought it might be helpful to start a generic thread, considering the possibility that the CTA Bus Shuffle could be continuing for a while.

Since the high 1500s started arriving at 74th, it looks as if at least five 6000s from 74th have found a new home at The Glen: 6197 & 6199-6202.

Installment 1 of ???? !

Here are my predictions on the NF's and this is PURELY SPECULATION!

-Once all 4000's are delivered, there will be a shuffle amongst those.

K = 4000-4044

03 = 4045-4074

P = 4075-4149

*58 Hybrids from Stimulus could assist in starting BRT, or just be supplemented from lost Nabis?*

- C to have 1050-1086, 1430-1479, 1850-1909, 1980-2029

- P to have 1370-1429, 1751-1800, and 1910-1979

- 03 to have 1000-1049, 1480-1579, 1801-1850

- 6 to have 1580-1620, 1725-1750, plus what they have from the original 9/08 transfer from K and C.

- K to keep what they have, and get 1621-1629 odds from P.

- 7 will loose 1927-1977 odds to P, but keep the balance of what they have, and pick up some early 1300s from C.

Again, JUST SPECULATION...:)

Installment 1 of ???? !

when did the 6197,6199-6202 leave 74th?have you seen them on bus tracker or in person on a F route?

when did the 6197,6199-6202 leave 74th?have you seen them on bus tracker or in person on a F route?

All five appeared on Bus Tracker during this evening's rush hour. They must have been transferred very recently in sync with the arrival of the high 1500s at 74th.

When the NABIs were sidelined, Archer, Chicago Ave., 74th, and Forest Glen each gave up a dozen or more buses to the four garages left short by the NABI crisis. As new 2000s and 4000s continue to arrive, it looks to me as if the focus is on restoring each garage fleet to its pre-crisis size.

*58 Hybrids from Stimulus could assist in starting BRT, or just be supplemented from lost Nabis?*
Again, if I were putting money (as I lost on 970-999 and Clipper Fund) it would be on no BRT. There was a discussion on the CTA Tattler on "getting money without eating the bug" and the CTA got the bus part of the money in the stimulus plan without the conditions. There hasn't been any word whether the City Council passed the parking tax part of the BRT plan, and it is questionable whether the city is that interested in the street furniture or eliminating parking, say, in Greektown.

Now, if we only knew if the number was 58, 55, or 52. :o

As far as speculation on bus swaps, CTA has acted so irrationally (in the sense of just moving them despite any rationale), that I wouldn't go there. The only thing I note, is that with the sighted deliveries up to 4114, CTA is back to the point it was with 7300-7414, the main change being fewer on the south side to enable currently covering 156.

It looks as if there have been a few minor roster moves over the past few days; no hint of swapping as far as I know.

103rd gave up three buses: 1550 to 77th, 1584 & 1586 to 74th. It looks as if 1549 & 1550 are setting the table for the eventual assignment of 1549-1579 to 77th (educated guess).

In the meantime, North Park has sent 1549 to 77th, and 1599 & 1601 to 74th --- which could end up with 1580-1629 (again, just an educated guess).

It looks as if, for now anyway, the focus is on relieving shortages at the garages that sent buses to the barns with sidelined NABIs.

Anyway, probably several more swaps coming up the pike too, considering the remaining odd-even distributions. I wouldn't be surprised to see at least a couple more garages get 6000s either.

In the meantime, North Park has sent 1549 to 77th, and 1599 & 1601 to 74th --- which could end up with 1580-1629 (again, just an educated guess).

I saw 1624 on #82 Kimball-Homan yesterday, so that might mean something else, unless it was just a bus filling in for a NABI.

Here are my predictions on the NF's and this is PURELY SPECULATION!

-Once all 4000's are delivered, there will be a shuffle amongst those.

K = 4000-4044

03 = 4045-4074

P = 4075-4149

- C to have 1050-1086, 1430-1479, 1850-1909, *1981*-2029

- P to have 1370-1429, 1751-1800, and 1910-*1980*

- 03 to have 1000-1049, 1480-1579, 1801-1850

- 6 to have 1580-1620, 1725-1750, plus what they have from the original 9/08 transfer from K and C.

- K to keep what they have, and get 1621-1629 odds from P.

- 7 will loose 1927-1977 odds to P, but keep the balance of what they have, and pick up some early 1300s from C.

Again, JUST SPECULATION...:)

You forgot one at NP, I adjusted it for you (in * *)

Oh ok. I didn't have any idea about that, so thanks for letting me know :).

More bus moves news: I spotted 1968 on #155 Devon this morning at Devon and California.

103rd is in the process of transferring even numbered 1930+ buses to NP and C. I see more as the days go along, I saw 1972 on the 151 a minute ago...

• 3 weeks later...