More Bus Moves

sw4400

Agreed, it would, for instance, make sense to return some Novas to Chicago Ave. in trade for New Flyers. It would also prove that the series consolidation plan is truly dead. As with any series of bus, spreading them out among several garages, especially as they begin to age, seems practical.

Once the swap between 103rd and 74th is complete, it does look as if the Glen will have more 6000s than 74th. But I wouldn't be the least bit surprised by an exchange of Novas and 6000s between FG and Archer in the very near future, maybe even FG and 77th as well.

As for the recent transfer of 6000s from Chicago to the Glen, I believe that FG really needed more buses to compensate for the ones they gave up when the NABIs were sidelined. Chicago was probably the only barn that could spare either Novas or 6000s.

It appears that #1530 - #1547, #1550 - #1578 evens are the buses headed for 74th and everything that's left from #6204 - #6239 is headed to 103rd. Chicago coughed up the #6080 - #6068, (minus retirements) 11 total, because they received #2024 - #2018 and could spare a few to FG. FG should have the fleet totals the same now as the pre nabi hiatus totals. (no shortages) But they ended up with more #6000's and less Nova's than before. If the #4000's continue to be placed in consecutive numbers, (I'm thinking #4053 - #4094) most probably NP will end up with all the #4090's and 80's and maybe half the 70's and the lower ones below #4075 may end up at 103rd. As far as the series consolidation, don't forget there's been a changing of the guard and things change.

It appears that #1530 - #1547, #1550 - #1578 evens are the buses headed for 74th and everything that's left from #6204 - #6239 is headed to 103rd. Chicago coughed up the #6080 - #6068, (minus retirements) 11 total, because they received #2024 - #2018 and could spare a few to FG. FG should have the fleet totals the same now as the pre nabi hiatus totals. (no shortages) But they ended up with more #6000's and less Nova's than before. If the #4000's continue to be placed in consecutive numbers, (I'm thinking #4053 - #4094) most probably NP will end up with all the #4090's and 80's and maybe half the 70's and the lower ones below #4075 may end up at 103rd. As far as the series consolidation, don't forget there's been a changing of the guard and things change.

I understand shuffling to make up for shortages but this is getting ridiculous.

I think the Flxs should really be only at 2 or 3 garages, and the Novas should only be a 2 garages. Hence A and F would be Novas, 77th, K, and either 103rd, 74th, OR C would be NF and Flxs, not all three nor 2 of 3

North Park would receive Novas, while the Glen gets NFs.

As a rider who uses a Glen route (56), I wouldn't mind seeing some new equipment at Glen, but swapping perfectly good buses merely for the sake of swapping or giving some drivers overtime doesn't really make sense.

The one thing to add to this swapping speculation is that the buses at the outdoor "garages" are supposed to get battery boost capacitors, which would limit what you could swap into or out of those two. (Reference)

Possibly true for the short-term. After reading the link, I got the impression that the kits would ultimately be installed in additional buses at other garages as well; the 460 buses at North Park and Forest Glen would be done first.

Possibly true for the short-term. After reading the link, I got the impression that the kits would ultimately be installed in additional buses at other garages as well; the 460 buses at North Park and Forest Glen would be done first.

Come to think of it, the total fleet size of North Park and Forest Glen combined is about 525. So I guess not every bus at those two barns would get the capacitors initially.

My hunch is that the intent is to skip installation in the 6000s --- which leads me to believe that by the time they're installed, FG will have about 65 of the Flxibles remaining in its fleet as opposed to slightly over 100 at present. Could a swap with Archer be in the cards? I wouldn't be surprised.

Come to think of it, the total fleet size of North Park and Forest Glen combined is about 525. So I guess not every bus at those two barns wouldn't get the capacitors initially.
The hybrids are unlikely, given the different kind of battery pack. That might make up the difference.

I live around 103rd routes and I'm glad that 103rd got some High floors back, they should've kept the 6000s that they had since Novas came in service at 2001 in the first place. But I'm tired of this Bus moves.

But yes, Archer and Glen does need some Flyers badly, Return Novas to Chicago Ave for Flyers and trade NP-Flyers for Glen-Novas.

I live around 103rd routes and I'm glad that 103rd got some High floors back, they should've kept the 6000s that they had since Novas came in service at 2001 in the first place. But I'm tired of this Bus moves.

But yes, Archer and Glen does need some Flyers badly, Return Novas to Chicago Ave for Flyers and trade NP-Flyers for Glen-Novas.

I vote for zero bus moves. Keep em where they are until they fall apart, then replace them in order as they fall apart....no more silly swaps for the sake of silly swaps !!!!!!!!!!!

...but I'd vote for no more bus moves (at least until the July Artics come in).
The parenthetical phrase is the essence of it. The 58 are probably on the 150's heels, and then there are the state capital bill 175 to 200 or so, probably for the purpose originally indicated for the 150.

While there was speculation when the 80 6000s were transferred from 74 to K and C that they were placeholders for 4000s, that wasn't the case. No one figures that the predominant garages to get 4000s will be 74th and FG, although I did make an argument for sending some there.

Nonetheless, the trading of 1000s for other 1000s makes little sense.

If only u drove them............

Maybe you should be specific of your complaints, same as we asked of pace2322 who said NABIs were junk. I know you mentioned the wheel wells leaking. If the drivers spoke up, we could avoid taxpayer debacles like the 7500 series NABIs.