Parking Problem at Archer Garage

Its Time to do something about the parking problem in the area around the garage Operators come to work everyday to serve the community but we have no where to park within the last two years parking meters have been installed on Archer from Western to California and most of the businesses in that area have parking lots.Theres permit parking on every street around the garage and on top not being able to park in the community which we serve everyday CTA management dont want us to Park on the CTA property and i know they don't care cause they can park in 5 bay. Operators Cars getting stolen vandalized and cta does not care about it workers safety on or off the bus this has been a problem for years I need help any suggestions on what can be done about this problem

Its Time to do something about the parking problem in the area around the garage Operators come to work everyday to serve the community but we have no where to park within the last two years parking meters have been installed on Archer from Western to California and most of the businesses in that area have parking lots.Theres permit parking on every street around the garage and on top not being able to park in the community which we serve everyday CTA management dont want us to Park on the CTA property and i know they don't care cause they can park in 5 bay. Operators Cars getting stolen vandalized and cta does not care about it workers safety on or off the bus this has been a problem for years I need help any suggestions on what can be done about this problem
  • Ride the bus to work.
  • Archer barn was scheduled to be replaced 15 years ago, according to George Krambles. However, it has entered its 10th decade of service to the community.

Welcome to CTA! Covering That A...! This is one of the many reasons morale is so low at CTA with its bus/rail operators. Those of us that currently or have worked at CTA see this everyday. Its bad enough we have to deal with unappreciative and rude passengers then youre at the garage, management treats you like youre beneath them. Some garage clerks can be real jerks as well, one in particular was a fem clerk named Jordan, she was a real B_T_H !.

With regard to the Archer Garage, the facility is so outdated and in dire need of replacement. Its sad to see new bus equipment running out of an old garage. So many industrial sites in that area, Im sure there are other areas that could be considered for a new facility. Can anyone think of any?

Where in the heck would one replace that garage?
Since its territory was moved north to cover Cermak-43rd (as opposed to the old 35-51), as 5750 notes, there is plenty of vacant industrial land on the north side of the South Branch east of the County Jail (although the Google satellite map indicates that some of that has been redeveloped).

Prior to that reallocation of routes, I thought somewhere closer to Midway Airport would have made sense. According to Andre, CSL first thought about the area around Curie HS, but, of course, Curie HS is there now.

There used to be alot of land between Lawndale and the railroad tracks around Central Park south of Archer and the Orange line but that may be in the process of being developed. As far as the Parking problem, I don't know why they wouldn't designate Rockwell as CTA parking. It's been used that way for years anyway and there's not many residents on that block to use it.

There's one more thing to consider... the City of Chicago is likely averse to removing land from the tax rolls. That is, some of that industrial land referred to in earlier posts has the potential of yielding property taxes. If the CTA takes the land those potential taxes are lost.

:rolleyes:

There's one more thing to consider... the City of Chicago is likely averse to removing land from the tax rolls. That is, some of that industrial land referred to in earlier posts has the potential of yielding property taxes. If the CTA takes the land those potential taxes are lost.

:rolleyes:

Except that CTA generally gives the land where the former barn was to the city to sell for redevelopment--pretty much given, with respect to 69th and Ashland and North and Cicero, while John Kass may still be stewing over the deal for Limits, which was for real money.

Which is the trivia question for today: Which food chain ended up at both of the first two sites?

Except that CTA generally gives the land where the former barn was to the city to sell for redevelopment--pretty much given, with respect to 69th and Ashland and North and Cicero, while John Kass may still be stewing over the deal for Limits, which was for real money.

Which is the trivia question for today: Which food chain ended up at both of the first two sites?

Isn't there a McDonald's there.

Limits would be the Golden Nugget, so to speak.

Isn't there a McDonald's there.

Limits would be the Golden Nugget, so to speak.

Best Buy at Limits, Golden Nugget was there prior to the demolition of Limits...

but North/Cicero would be a wendy's and pizza hut and a supermarket (that often changes names every year)...

Food 4 Less!!!

Food 4 Less!!!

And in the case of the one at the North Avenue Garage site, Cub Foods first occupied that space when the shopping strip replaced the garage sometime in the 1990s. But the Chicagoland Cub Foods chain was sold by its then owner, SuperValu, to a group led by Cerberus Capital Management LP (a private equity group which currently owns a large stake in bus manufacturer NABI) in Spring 2006 after SuperValu purchased the Jewel-Osco supermarket/drug store chain (and the freestanding Osco stores went to CVS/Pharmacy). Cerberus eventually sold all of the stores to separate buyers by December of that year. For a few months in the first half of 2007, a Korean-American-owned supermarket chain based in the Washington, DC area, Grand Mart International Foods, operated a store at the North/Cicero location (along with three others - in Melrose Park, Niles and Bedford Park). Grand Mart also purchased four other former Cub Foods locations which ultimately never opened under Grand Mart. Grand Mart was unsuccessful, and shuttered all four of its operating Chicago-area stores by the Fall of 2007. Most of the former Cub Foods locations purchased by Grand Mart remain vacant to this day, but the North/Cicero location was bought by Kroger (the parent company of Food 4 Less), and Food 4 Less opened at that location in early 2008.

Land is abundant near the archer garage. There is a huge lot right next to the western orange line stop, a second lot near the kedzie orange line stop... and maybe even the large lot near the stevenson expressway and Damen (although this lot is not in a good location).

This topic has gotten totally off the subject I was hoping for some serious suggestion on what can be done about this problem cause the operators are really having a problem parking in the area and riding the bus is not an option for a lot of operators cause they work to early or get off too late when the buses are not even running. so anybody with some suggestions please share them :(

This topic has gotten totally off the subject I was hoping for some serious suggestion on what can be done about this problem cause the operators are really having a problem parking in the area and riding the bus is not an option for a lot of operators cause they work to early or get off too late when the buses are not even running. so anybody with some suggestions please share them :(

Is Pershing Permit Parking? (It might be on the east side, but what about the west) I never saw a main street have permit parking before. If you know any neighbors or relatives or friends that pay for the permit parking over there, they are allowed visitors passes. Maybe you could persuade them to let you use their visitor pass. Otherwise find the nearest non permit parking area and park there and walk. Or find a big lot and park there, but you might risk a tow. Last but not least perhaps you could park at one of the Orange line parking lots take the train and walk from 35/Archer station. Also that could be done with Archer. Park anywhere on Archer the #N62 runs all night and you wouldn't have to walk.

so anybody with some suggestions please share them :(

Would there be a prayer of a chance of running an employee shuttle from a Park-n-Ride or a Train Station? Maybe if you and some other employees got together and brought this to the attention of the media then CTA would do something :unsure: How about carpool?

Would there be a prayer of a chance of running an employee shuttle from a Park-n-Ride or a Train Station? Maybe if you and some other employees got together and brought this to the attention of the media then CTA would do something :unsure: How about carpool?
Forest Glen (at least at one time) had a late run only between the yard and Jefferson Park.

All I can say is that the irony of this request is oozing.

All I can say is that the irony of this request is oozing.

:lol: I know, I got a DVD of a PTC documentary and it shows all the streetcar/train/bus/trolley bus operators and mechanics arriving by streetcar/train/bus/trolley bus at the garage at the crack of dawn.