New Express Routes Coming Soon.

jesi2282

33 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

wait a minute, now I'm really confused. You say West towns is correct, he said december (really it was pace831 but they both subscribe to that notion) and you say here that the page says 2017 for completion. So that would make me correct. :D Unless this is bos lite/rough draft in december and it really doesn't get going in full swing until spring. So i would say the traffic reporter is right besides it would look bad for abc7 if they gave out phony info. xD

600 series starts with the December Pick. 

Tollway upgrades in 2017. 

Get it? Got it? Good. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Unless this is bos lite/rough draft in december and it really doesn't get going in full swing until spring. So i would say the traffic reporter is right besides it would look bad for abc7 if they gave out phony info. xD

As I said, the routes go into service before the end of the year; the traffic management happens later. I don't think Roz cares about buses.

Similarly, the Daily Herald says that the active traffic management system goes into effect in Spring 2017, but "By the end of 2016, the tollway is promising to 'return the (I-90) mainline' to drivers." Only thing said there about Pace is "A separate message board is designated for the shoulder lanes, which will be used by Pace express buses and could occasionally open up to general traffic."

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

Also, the 361 Harvey-Joliet express will be starting, which is basically for the Amazon.com warehouse. Maybe Amazon is subsidizing it, otherwise this route doesn't make much sense.

Has to be that or some job link, as only one trip each way a day. Also seems strange that it assumes an 11 hour shift.

1 hour ago, Pace831 said:

856 map and schedule now available.

I noted that it still shows 307 on 63rd, but I suppose it is in the computer and will eventually be changed, but the TC is not being used for 307 now. The passenger notice in your link shows where parking is allowed.

Also, while the links on the Passenger Notice work, those on the 856 page don't.

36 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Has to be that or some job link, as only one trip each way a day. Also seems strange that it assumes an 11 hour shift.

I noticed that too. Amazon shifts are from 7 AM - 5 PM. That made me wonder how many people would be willing to wait until 6:25 for the bus. (You could also take 504 - Metra - 364 and get to Harvey 5 minutes faster than 361). Upon further review,  this looks like it is supposed to improve job access for people without cars.

I also wondered if the additional highway bus seen on Webwatch was for 361, but if that were true I'd expect the afternoon trip to be earlier since the bus wouldn't be needed for anything else.

When a similar route was proposed during the 2008 restructuring, I wondered who would ride it, but the 3000+ employee Amazon warehouse didn't exist yet.

23 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

When a similar route was proposed during the 2008 restructuring, I wondered who would ride it, but the 3000+ employee Amazon warehouse didn't exist yet.

I take it you were referring to the US 30 route, presumably an extension of 357 to Joliet.

Notable here, the route name is Larraway Crossings, not Joliet.

55 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I take it you were referring to the US 30 route, presumably an extension of 357 to Joliet.

Notable here, the route name is Larraway Crossings, not Joliet.

No, there was an I-80 express proposed, a bidirectional rush hour route. However, it would have gone to Chicago Heights rather than Harvey and made additional stops at Lincoln Mall and Tinley Park, so it wasn't quite how I remembered. See the second to last page of the consultant's report. Coincidentally, the number chosen for that route was 856.

I only said Joliet for the benefit of those who wouldn't recognize where Laraway Crossings is, but as you pointed out, that shows the intent of this route is different than what was previously proposed.

For now, 361 is probably the best that can be done with current resources. In a future expansion scenario, I think they should reroute 361 to downtown Joliet (Gateway Center) and add 1 or 2 trips in each direction, which would be timed to connect with additional trips on 511. The routing on 511 would vary to coordinate with employer schedules. This would provide more job opportunities for the market that 361 is supposed to serve, while also improving connections between Joliet local buses, 361, and 511.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Amazon's shifts usually are 10-12 hours  

5 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Also, the 361 Harvey-Joliet express will be starting, which is basically for the Amazon.com warehouse. Maybe Amazon is subsidizing it, otherwise this route doesn't make much sense.

Assumably yes. For that very reason. 

7 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Amazon's shifts usually are 10-12 hours  

I checked a job application for the Joliet Amazon warehouse to confirm the shift times. The application for the 1st shift (served by 361) doesn't mention the hours, but the 2nd shift one does (There are only 2 shifts). I get the impression that the shift times are variable and that overtime is often required, as is common for warehouse jobs. That may also be the reason the afternoon trip isn't until 6:25, even though the shift usually ends at 5 PM.

4 hours ago, Pace831 said:

See the second to last page of the consultant's report. Coincidentally, the number chosen for that route was 856.

Since that was listed as Phase IV, about as likely as the second North Shore recommendation of about 2004 to turn the old North Shore right of way into a BRT. We now know that the plan is BOS.

Pace expressway network maps pretty much encompass all expressways, regardless of potential ridership.

I briefly noted something there that definitely won't happen--turning Lincoln Mall into a transit hub, since there isn't any Lincoln Mall.

33 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Since that was listed as Phase IV, about as likely as the second North Shore recommendation of about 2004 to turn the old North Shore right of way into a BRT. We now know that the plan is BOS.

But at least they identified a potential market, which is what I was alluding to.

35 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I briefly noted something there that definitely won't happen--turning Lincoln Mall into a transit hub, since there isn't any Lincoln Mall.

Even when Lincoln Mall was still open, I didn't see the sense of that. I personally think the Tinley Park-80th Avenue Metra station would be a much better alternate location, but apparently the consultants didn't agree.

On 10/20/2016 at 11:56 PM, Pace831 said:

I personally think the Tinley Park-80th Avenue Metra station would be a much better alternate location, but apparently the consultants didn't agree.

Agreed for the new 856. Toyota Park is too close to the Orange Line Terminal at Midway.

4 hours ago, Zol87 said:

Agreed for the new 856. Toyota Park is too close to the Orange Line Terminal at Midway.

Be that as it may, I would consider Toyota Park as a alternative for those west/southwest of Midway and Ford City who would want a straight shot to downtown. I can't think of another place that isn't a Metra Station (and Chicago Ridge wouldn't be appropriate save for RideShare).

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

I got some blurry shots of the first evening run of 361 tonight. At least they are clear enough to see that it's a NABI. I'll probably attempt the first shot again when the route goes live on BusTracker so I can be better prepared.

DSCF1223.JPG

DSCF1225.JPG

With a supervisor tailing it. (Silver Van)

6 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Be that as it may, I would consider Toyota Park as a alternative for those west/southwest of Midway and Ford City who would want a straight shot to downtown. I can't think of another place that isn't a Metra Station (and Chicago Ridge wouldn't be appropriate save for RideShare).

I guess you're right. It does have the parking space and is between the train lines.