New Express Routes Coming Soon.

jesi2282

4 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

I'm not sure what you mean by saying the market already exists. All I was pointing out is that Pace apparently recognized that. 850/851/855 started as rush hour routes, then expanded as ridership grew to include midday and evening service. It's not unusual to have an outbound trip around noon for people leaving work early, but the 11 AM inbound and 9 PM outbound trips seem geared toward the recreational travel market. The 9 PM one is especially interesting, since the last 850/851/855 combo leaves at 7:10 PM.

I only meant to say that there is some indication of midday demand. [Especially since this route was sprung without much advance notice,] I don't know what customer research was done.

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

As the article states, there actually is a pacebus.com page for it. Links don't work yet. Does say effective date is 10/24 (next Monday).

I'm a bit surprised by the premium fare.

As it implied that Toyota Park owns the parking spaces, I wonder if there is a plan to clear the lot of commuters if an event is planned.

I dont know if this will really be all that successful. They would have to spread the word and get those commuters many of which speak a foreign  language on board. Then why have a bos for one route that most of the time is not running?

43 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I dont know if this will really be all that successful. They would have to spread the word and get those commuters many of which speak a foreign  language on board.

I'm also surprised at that, given the extensive outreach effort made in 2011 when the original BOS was inaugurated. If there was any communication directed to the potential passengers near Bridgeview, nothing on the Pace site indicates it.

43 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Then why have a bos for one route that most of the time is not running?

Most of Pace (and certainly 850/850/855) is not running outside of rush hour. As @Pace831 indicated, this has a broader schedule than those routes do.

I also wonder if there is some CMAQ or JARC to keep it going until it has time to prove itself (which is usually 3 years).

51 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I dont know if this will really be all that successful. They would have to spread the word and get those commuters many of which speak a foreign  language on board. Then why have a bos for one route that most of the time is not running?

While I agree with @Busjack that the lack of outreach comes as a surprise, potential riders will still find out about the route eventually, whether by word of mouth or seeing a bus that says "express" going down the street. Initial outreach just speeds up the process of the route reaching peak ridership.

I think there is a definite demand for this route, since driving downtown is not desirable, and taking a local bus to the Orange Line has a high potential for delays. Even though there are only a few trips, it still makes sense for it to be a BoS route for the sake of reliability. Also, someone could ride the 856 one way and use the Orange/386 in the other direction. This way, they can still enjoy the convenience of the express route without being forced to conform to its schedule.

• Upvote 1

Well I guess the one bus route comment was misguided as I55 has many bos routes but still i find a sporting venue to be not something that would work for a bos route. Maybe a cubs roundtripper bos but there is no infrastructure on the kennedy.

Plus there has been no survey that i know of of loop to toyota park commuters. If most come from the south side it doesnt work. somewhere it still needs to stop at the orange line because half the potential customers may be missed by express service catering to the loop and north sides of town. Just my two cents. .

Ok I see whats going on here now. Its marketed as a commuter bus not really a sports venue bus. Although it can be used for that. So the orange line is no good??? #386s run express down 63rd with limited stops so i dont really get this. Stranger yet is why wouldnt someone just use the parknride at pulaski orange or midway?

8 minutes ago, west towns said:

Try getting a  parking spot at orange line good luck..  

Well then that explains that. I dont know maybe it could work. Pace looks like they are making branch lines coming off the main almost like feeders. Maybe they have tapped into something. Maybe a Lagrange / Countryside cummuter is next. It sure shows what possibilities exist for the I90 corridor. Someone at Pace seems to be using their noodle!! :D

32 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Ok I see whats going on here now. Its marketed as a commuter bus not really a sports venue bus. Although it can be used for that. So the orange line is no good??? #386s run express down 63rd with limited stops so i dont really get this. Stranger yet is why wouldnt someone just use the parknride at pulaski orange or midway?

The parking lot at Midway tends to fill up, and Cicero is congested all around there. Also, SW local routes tend to have OTP issues, especially 386 with the RR crossing at 63rd/Harlem. The area that the Toyota Park Park-n-Ride serves is also far enough from the Orange line that many people would be discouraged from driving that far just to switch to a train. 856 actually starts to address some of the problems that extending the Orange Line to Ford City was supposed to solve. Instead of making somebody wait in traffic on a 379, 384, or 386, residents of the areas served by those routes get a Park-n-Ride and an express bus that can bypass the congested areas.

1 hour ago, west towns said:

How do we know there isnt local advertising goimg on.  Anyone live in sw burbs?  Maybe its difficult to get commercials with all the political bs ads out there on radio and tv and print

We haven't seen any ads, but if there were any, they would almost certainly say "visit pacebus.com for more information". In that case, the new route would at least be mentioned in the "What's new?" section on the homepage, but it isn't.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Ok I see whats going on here now. Its marketed as a commuter bus not really a sports venue bus. Although it can be used for that.

Essentially, the point of the linked article was that there were 400 parking spaces there that aren't being used most of the time.

This page shows the parking lot layout, but not how many spaces are in the east lot.

Again, the fooler was that while there is the 387 Toyota Park Express, the feds were not going to pay to build a TC just for that.

37 minutes ago, west towns said:

Oh yeah rhe orange line extention was suppose to solve all the traffic issues of going up cicero to midway

The justification was that the area around Midway was too congested. However, it went into rigor mortis (as not being mentioned for about 7 years,* not being on Rahm's wish list, and maybe as indicated by Ford City building its own CTA terminal).

The contradiction at that time was that the CTA consultant assumed that the Pace buses would still go between Ford City and Midway.

_______

*Last report on that site was dated Aug. 2009.

5 minutes ago, west towns said:

What buses are they going to use?

As has been pointed out, one of R's Axess Express buses has been seen on Webwatch on an SW route, and, as @Pace831 properly noted, the State Police requires that any BOS bus be wrapped.

Looking at Rosemont routes on Webwatch, the 6386s are not as prevalent as they once were on routes such as 610, although a few are left, but it is now mostly the 6485s.

8 minutes ago, west towns said:

Spring?    I thought it was later this yr new service starts

yeah according to Roz Varen thats what she said and she should know. She had a report about the i90 project one morning i was watching channel 7. Maybe theres a report on abc 7s website.

16 minutes ago, west towns said:

Spring?    I thought it was later this yr new service starts

8 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

yeah according to Roz Varen thats what she said and she should know. She had a report about the i90 project one morning i was watching chapnnel 7. Maybe theres a reort on abc 7s website.

No, I think @west towns is correct, The brochure on pacebus.com says:

New service will launch with the completion of the Tollway’s construction at the end of 2016, with other transit enhancements to be completed in 2017.

The page has the traffic management and bus lane in 2017.

However,I see @Pace831 beat me to it.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

No, I think @west towns is correct, The brochure on pacebus.com says:

New service will launch with the completion of the Tollway’s construction at the end of 2016, with other transit enhancements to be completed in 2017.

The page has the traffic management and bus lane in 2017.

However,I see @Pace831 beat me to it.

wait a minute, now I'm really confused. You say West towns is correct, he said december (really it was pace831 but they both subscribe to that notion) and you say here that the page says 2017 for completion. So that would make me correct. :D Unless this is bos lite/rough draft in december and it really doesn't get going in full swing until spring. So i would say the traffic reporter is right besides it would look bad for abc7 if they gave out phony info. xD