Bus Bunching

BusHunter

There has been this week some major bus bunching on the #80, probably due to the Cubs being in town. I observed both yesterday and the day before packs of five buses traveling in the same direction. And then behind the five about 20 to 30 blocks down ( I was traveling the other direction from the buses so the interval is greater if your waiting for that bus) packs of three. And I did notice a bus behind my bus. So the route was predominatly bus bunched. I don't know but they may have to beef up service for these Cub games. It seems as if the cuts from Feb. are affecting them at least on this route. But the issue on Irving Pk. mainly appears to be traffic related. Usually with Cub games the traffic lights are changed on Addison to give them a longer green from Western to Clark. Maybe they need to do that for Irving Pk too.

On the topic of bus bunching, I would have thought with the service cuts, bus bunching would have become far and few between. For some reason, I see more now than I did before the cuts. I spotted 3 articulated 151's (All Devon / Clark) right behind each other north of Bryn Mawr / Sheridan....

I noticed this on the #152 Addison in February right after the service cuts. 2 or 3 artics in a row. But I honestly was more confused why the Addison route gets artics, but the #77 Belmont route that I use most often didn't. The Belmont route is packed, no matter when I ride.

I noticed this on the #152 Addison in February right after the service cuts. 2 or 3 artics in a row. But I honestly was more confused why the Addison route gets artics, but the #77 Belmont route that I use most often didn't. The Belmont route is packed, no matter when I ride.

In the case of 152 those artics are from NP doing runs, some of them being school trips for Lane Tech High School. On 77, garage runs other than FG would be Kedzie rush hour trips that were interlined with 151 Belmont short runs which on a weekday gets done more likely with Kedzie's 1000s than an artic though on occasion you will see an artic. Just hasn't been done on the 77 interlines from the sounds of it. Kedzie artics on 151 mostly run on weekends.

On 77, garage runs other than FG would be Kedzie rush hour trips that were interlined with 151 Belmont short runs which on a weekday gets done more likely with Kedzie's 1000s than an artic though on occasion you will see an artic. Just hasn't been done on the 77 interlines from the sounds of it. Kedzie artics on 151 mostly run on weekends.

Actually, on weekdays the 151 short trips to Belmont operate mid-day (between 9 AM and 3:30 PM) only. On weekends, such 151 short trips operate from about 9 AM to just before 6 PM.

Actually, on weekdays the 151 short trips to Belmont operate mid-day (between 9 AM and 3:30 PM) only. On weekends, such 151 short trips operate from about 9 AM to just before 6 PM.

Ok even if that's the case, it still doesn't change the overall point since the Kedzie 77 runs are apparently interlined with the later midday runs from reports of the interline. By the time those later weekday 151 short runs reach Belmont it would be rush hour, making them rush hour Kedzie runs on the 77 as I stated.

Ok even if that's the case, it still doesn't change the overall point since the Kedzie 77 runs are apparently interlined with the later midday runs from reports of the interline. By the time those later weekday 151 short runs reach Belmont it would be rush hour, making them rush hour Kedzie runs on the 77 as I stated.

all of the Kedzie runs on the 77 originate off the #82 in the early morning (5-7 AM) and they are off the route by just after 8 AM. There are two Chicago runs in the afternoon one is a St. Pat's school trip originating at Austin EB around 2:40 PM and the other is a complete round trip from Cumberland starting around 6:30 PM that originates off the #74. There is a NP run on the #80 at 6:41 AM from Cumberland that always runs with an Artic that becomes a #145. Seems to me to be a school run for Lakeview HS.

• Upvote 1

all of the Kedzie runs on the 77 originate off the #82 in the early morning (5-7 AM) and they are off the route by just after 8 AM. There are two Chicago runs in the afternoon one is a St. Pat's school trip originating at Austin EB around 2:40 PM and the other is a complete round trip from Cumberland starting around 6:30 PM that originates off the #74. There is a NP run on the #80 at 6:41 AM from Cumberland that always runs with an Artic that becomes a #145. Seems to me to be a school run for Lakeview HS.

I know your first sentence is a fact, but what I am curious to know is are these Kedzie runs deadhead or in revenue on 82 and carry destination signs programed to 82 KIMBALL_BELMONT as they are not listed on the CTA web schedule guide nor are they on tracker.

Ok then I'm guessing the person who mentioned an interline of Kedzie 151 runs with Kedzie 77 runs meant the morning 77's from Kedzie become 151 Belmont trips heading into downtown. I don't remember that person specifying which rush period they saw the Kedzie 77 trips so I was guessing they meant PM instead of AM. Then again that wouldn't fit either if the weekday 151 short trips are now only 9AM-3:30PM. I wonder if they were getting this conclusion from Kedzie's 77 trips using the same run numbers as its 151 trips. Can't really double check any schedules at the moment because the CTA main website has been out for the past few days from internal network issues.

Ok then I'm guessing the person who mentioned an interline of Kedzie 151 runs with Kedzie 77 runs meant the morning 77's from Kedzie become 151 Belmont trips heading into downtown. I don't remember that person specifying which rush period they saw the Kedzie 77 trips so I was guessing they meant PM instead of AM. Then again that wouldn't fit either if the weekday 151 short trips are now only 9AM-3:30PM. I wonder if they were getting this conclusion from Kedzie's 77 trips using the same run numbers as its 151 trips. Can't really double check any schedules at the moment because the CTA main website has been out for the past few days from internal network issues.

Some of the Kedzie morning runs on the #77 become #143's and those become #12's. So I believe some of those may be doing four routes. I believe there are six different Kedzie runs in the morning of which you'll mostly see them show up originating at Kimball at the 6:00 AM hour some go east some go west, but all of them when they hit the east end do the regular Kedzie service then. As far as the destination there should be a Belmont Blue line destination sign for the #82's.

I use the 80 every week day as part of my daily commute between Rogers Park/Cumberland CTA. First, I really miss the X80, in some cases the 80 stops are far too close; Francisco, Mozart, California for one example. I’ll also say, that Cubs game or no Cubs game, there is much more bunching going on with the 80 then there had prior to service cuts. Some days it’s perfectly fine, others I’ll be waiting a good 15-20 min for a bus to have 2 of them show up at the same time. What’s further annoying is when two come, typically only one will let passengers on at Irving Park Blue line the other passes by, typically making for a very crowded bus.

I use the 80 every week day as part of my daily commute between Rogers Park/Cumberland CTA. First, I really miss the X80, in some cases the 80 stops are far too close; Francisco, Mozart, California for one example. I’ll also say, that Cubs game or no Cubs game, there is much more bunching going on with the 80 then there had prior to service cuts. Some days it’s perfectly fine, others I’ll be waiting a good 15-20 min for a bus to have 2 of them show up at the same time. What’s further annoying is when two come, typically only one will let passengers on at Irving Park Blue line the other passes by, typically making for a very crowded bus.

The #80 needs a few more buses to run similar to the #77 service. Some of the intervals on the #77 are 5 minutes in the rush yet there doesn't seem to be as much bus bunching as the #80. The #77 runs the best for east/west commuting. The biggest drawback is the frequent stops. Both streets could probably use some type of limited stop service.

Some of the Kedzie morning runs on the #77 become #143's and those become #12's. So I believe some of those may be doing four routes. I believe there are six different Kedzie runs in the morning of which you'll mostly see them show up originating at Kimball at the 6:00 AM hour some go east some go west, but all of them when they hit the east end do the regular Kedzie service then. As far as the destination there should be a Belmont Blue line destination sign for the #82's.

There are the '82 to BELMONT' signs from when the 82 short turns early Sunday mornings and used to do so late Sunday evenings. I don't think there will be anymore limited stop service on crosstown corridors for the time being until the CTA gets its finances stabilized and there is an actual stable source of transit funding.

The #80 needs a few more buses to run similar to the #77 service. Some of the intervals on the #77 are 5 minutes in the rush yet there doesn't seem to be as much bus bunching as the #80. The #77 runs the best for east/west commuting. The biggest drawback is the frequent stops. Both streets could probably use some type of limited stop service.

I may try Belmont bus heading home sometime, however in the past, I’ve found traffic on Belmont to move pretty slow (both driving and taking bus).

Just as a note, yesterday bus tracker indicated I’d have two 80’s coming in 4 minutes and sure enough I had two 80’s in which to board. There was no local Cubs game, and so far as I know traffic was fine. I should point out the one following the two pack of buses was "delayed" so I feel for anyone who had to wait.

Guest ctafan630

I may try Belmont bus heading home sometime, however in the past, I’ve found traffic on Belmont to move pretty slow (both driving and taking bus).

Have you tried taking the Montrose bus instead?

Have you tried taking the Montrose bus instead?

The #92's pretty good too. If you can catch all the buses and trains right away you can do Jeff Pk to Howard in about an hour.

Montrose bus is far too slow in the evening, and not very frequent.

Foster is okay in summer months (no school kids).

I'll make due with the 80 for now or perhaps using Metra UP NW line from JP to North Line at Clyborn... Cost more but it's faster, assuming the NW line train is on-time... But thanks for suggestions, sure always an adventure getting home but I do have many options at least.

• 3 months later...

Sigh. This is occurring as I scribe.

The attachment illustrates five westbound route #72 North buses within a ¼-mile of each other, and all running to Harlem.

This is where a supervisor needs to hold them up at a certain point; consolidate people onto two (or maybe three) westbound buses, and tell the other three [| two] drivers to turn back east at Narragansett.

This is what BustRacker is supposed to alleviate. So how about alleviating it, CTA? :o

post-444-12810443643513_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

The attachment illustrates five westbound route #72 North buses within a ¼-mile of each other, and all running to Harlem.

This is where a supervisor needs to hold them up at a certain point; consolidate people onto two (or maybe three) westbound buses, and tell the other three [| two] drivers to turn back east at Narragansett.

This is what BustRacker is supposed to alleviate. So how about alleviating it, CTA? :o

The bunch seems near the terminal, and you didn't save the eastbound chart to see if there was a big gap there. Without that information, it is impossible to determine whether what you recommend would cause a bigger delay.

Anything could've caused these buses to bunch up. Though it would be personally advantageous to me, I don't think every 72 bus needs to terminate at Harlem, especially during rush hours, when there is a good terminal at Narragansett. Similarly, every eastbound 72 bus doesn't have to go to the beach. That said, North Ave is a challenge with very heavy traffic.

Besides, without any additional eastbound proof, it is hard to tell if any of those buses would be a pull-in (maybe two of those buses would terminate EB at Pulaski).

.... Though it would be personally advantageous to me, I don't think every 72 bus needs to terminate at Harlem, especially during rush hours, when there is a good terminal at Narragansett. Similarly, every eastbound 72 bus doesn't have to go to the beach. That said, North Ave is a challenge with very heavy traffic.

Besides, without any additional eastbound proof, it is hard to tell if any of those buses would be a pull-in (maybe two of those buses would terminate EB at Pulaski).

The existence of the "Select Service" pulldown indicates that there were other route variations operating at the time. That may not be definitive, in that the 72 charts usually have pulldowns for to or from Clark, even with buses going to the beach.

However, the 72 schedule indicates that during the rush hour, "every 7 to 15 minutes to Neva and 7 to 9 minutes to Naragansett," so there must be some only to Naragansett during the rush hour. Must be pull-ins, as all afternoon eastbound buses start at Neva.