Christmas Bus?

sw4400

Hello ChicagoBus Members,

As you all know, we have a annual Christmas Train around this time of year visit each line for a few days.  Do we also have a Chrismas Bus roam our streets? If so, is it the same Bus Number or type each year?(I know the Christmas train is 2600 Series Train Cars 2891-2898 each year) Also, does the Bus travel from Garage to Garage every couple of days or weeks? And lastly is it just a interior decoration or is it as colorful as the Train is?

-sw4400

I was going to put a "bah humbug" on this thread, but then remembered seeing a 5800 with lighted candy canes on the outside between the windows, a couple of years ago. This probably means that it was a project at the individual garage.

Santa on the bike rack looks a little strange. Also, this may look "off" because the bus doesn't have the large panel over the windows, so you don't have decorations there. (If my memory is correct, the 5800 a couple of years ago also had a sign over the windows, something like "Merry Christmas from North Park Garage," and some garland). That bus also looked better at night, with the candy canes lit.

• 2 weeks later...

I was downtown today and rode on 6847, a Milwaukee bus, on Washington from Ogilvie Station. It had a wreath on the bike rack .

When I got on, I found that all the railings were wrapped to look like candy canes, there were wrapped boxes on top of the wheel wells. The ad racks above were made to look like wrapped boxes with ribbon and bows and had some ornaments hanging down. To top it all off, WLIT was piped in. (WLIT plays exclusive Christmas music from almost Halloween until Christmas). Finally there were white snowmen and snowflakes affixed all the side windows.

This bus definetly had a theme !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the RTS today, and with the road spray resulting from the partial thaw, it didn't look too good.

I also saw 5851 with an orange headsign, consisting of two rows of triangles. Maybe Christmas trees, but probably just a damaged controller (the side sign said 22 Clark /to Polk, even though it was on 151).

• 11 months later...