Hybrid "green" buses

PACE 834

Not that these will be the only ones,but some new Hybrid buses have arrived today@S.Holland. :D

Not really wanting to doubt your post, but these are Hybrids? The only vehicles that Ford makes that are Hybrids are the Fusion Hybrid, Escape Hybrid, and the Transit Connect EV, which I think is an all-electric vehicle, according to the Ford website. While searching, it seems like the E-450 has a V-8 engine that is marked as a Flex Fuel vehicle, whatever that means. In the past, the E-Super Duty Vans were equipped with a 5.4L Triton V-8 or 7.3L(1994-2003), 6.0L(2003-Present) Powerstroke Diesel Engine. I've never heard of an E-Series Hybrid.

Not really wanting to doubt your post, but these are Hybrids? The only vehicles that Ford makes that are Hybrids are the Fusion Hybrid, Escape Hybrid, and the Transit Connect EV, which I think is an all-electric vehicle, according to the Ford website. While searching, it seems like the E-450 has a V-8 engine that is marked as a Flex Fuel vehicle, whatever that means. In the past, the E-Super Duty Vans were equipped with a 5.4L Triton V-8 or 7.3L(1994-2003), 6.0L(2003-Present) Powerstroke Diesel Engine. I've never heard of an E-Series Hybrid.

Azure Dynamics takes new Ford E-450 chassis and converts them to hybrid vehicles. From Azures website ( http://www.azuredynamics.com/investors/documents/PR_June28_2010.pdf ) "Azures Balance Hybrid drive system is integrated on the market leading Ford E-450 chassis. The Balance system manages the conventional 5.4 litre Ford Triton engine and the 5-speed automatic Torqshift transmission to produce a cleaner more efficient vehicle at affordable cost."

The Pace order is part of an IDOT order for 34 paratransit vehicles for seven mass transit districts in IL. From Reuters:-

"Azure Dynamics Corporation Receives 34 Unit Bus Order Via Illinois Department Of Transportation

Wednesday, 2 Jun 2010 07:30am EDT

Azure Dynamics Corporation announced a 34 unit Balance Hybrid Electric bus sale via the Illinois Department of Transportation (IDOT). IDOT will leverage available funding from a Transit Investments for Greenhouse Gas and Energy Reduction (TIGGER) Grant to help offset acquisition costs. Midwest Transit Equipment of Kankakee, IL will be the dealership for the contract."

Other documents about this purchase suggests 31 vehicles were to be ordered ( http://www.nwmc-cog.org/Documents/TransportationNewsletter_100209.aspx ) of which Pace were allocated 10 vehicles. However this predates the final order.

• Upvote 2

The Pace order is part of an IDOT order for 34 paratransit vehicles for seven mass transit districts in IL. From Reuters:-

Basically, all you have said is correct, but, as you note, the numbers keep shifting.

FTA said:

The Illinois DOT will use the $4 million grant to purchase 31 paratransit hybrid buses to replace their existing fleet of gas and diesel vehicles. Buses will be powered by Azure Dynamics hybrid system of Michigan. Agencies included in this statewide effort are: Champaign Urbana MTD; Rockford MTD; St Clair MTD; Springfield MTD; PACE Suburban Bus; Rock Island MTD; and Bloomington-Normal Public Transit System.

Pretty much everyone else quotes the Azure Press Release for 34. This one indicates that "Illinois will leverage a TIGGER grant," so maybe it kicked in a bit of state money, or got a better deal.

• 3 weeks later...

While searching, it seems like the E-450 has a V-8 engine that is marked as a Flex Fuel vehicle, whatever that means. In the past, the E-Super Duty Vans were equipped with a 5.4L Triton V-8 or 7.3L(1994-2003), 6.0L(2003-Present) Powerstroke Diesel Engine. I've never heard of an E-Series Hybrid.

A Flex Fuel vehicle is one that can also use E-85 ethanol gasoline, or lower octane gasoline. I own a 2010 Yukon XL that's a Flex Fuel vehicle.

• 8 months later...