CTA vs Winter Weather Round Two

jajuan

Looks like the CTA learned some things from last year's big blizzard. In the middle of this evening's rush, they made the decision to pull all express buses from Lake Shore Drive on both ends and diverted them to nearby local roadways due to how dicey conditions are on the Drive. Seems they weren't trying to repeat a situation where buses got stuck on the Drive in the middle of a bad snowstorm. They also issued a notice on the website that buses across the system are likely to face some delays. So commuting home should be interesting tonight for a lot of people to say the least. I saw nothing mentioned about trains on the system having many problems so far other than the Red Line having minor delays which is why I posted info on their winter advisory under the bus topics.

• 1 year later...

This evening I saw a J14 and a 28 SB on Michigan at 13th. While we had.a little snow, I didn't think it warranted reroutes off of Lake Shore Drive. The 28 wasn't even an artic.

Did you see the buses during the time that northbound LSD was shut down for the vice president's motorcade? That was causing a lot of delays and reroutes. Otherwise, even along the lakefront the snow wasn't heavy enough to merit rerouting buses.

• 2 weeks later...

Well with the snow on the ground 103rd #29 are running in pairs aka a buddy system .

Does a heck of a job for those whose wait time has doubled. :wacko:

BusTracker at least indicates nothing NB between about Garfield and downtown, although there is a follower at about 63rd.

post-14-0-76760700-1386536040_thumb.jpg

• 9 years later...

It is all conjecture of course, but will the Authority put any 60-footers on the street Thursday, even if for only the AM rush? ?

And more 40-foot New Flyers and new Novas for route #66 Chicago, in case the batteries on the 600-series buses drain swifter than anticipated due to the cold temperatures? ?

2 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

It is all conjecture of course, but will the Authority put any 60-footers on the street Thursday, even if for only the AM rush? ?

And more 40-foot New Flyers and new Novas for route #66 Chicago, in case the batteries on the 600-series buses drain swifter than anticipated due to the cold temperatures? ?

The 60's gone run on the mor ing but when they snow really starts hitting & stacking they gone roll out the 40's while pulling the 60's in 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Wby even bother putting the artics out of all?

I was just wondering that same thing. I was figuring yeah there may be a few out because today is a weekday and it's not as easy to pull all artics off the road when running a regular weekday schedule instead of a weekend schedule. But this morning they have artics deployed at the typical number we usually see on a weekday morning. But by this evening with the snow rolling in this afternoon, we shall see how things look. If the pattern holds from what I remember of the last forecasted snowstorm from last winter, they will be rolling artics off the street later on and replacing them with the 40 footers as the PM rush approaches and gets started.

They will pull artics as soon as 12 - 1 PM, the control center in the past would send texts out via the clever cab to any operators on the street currently to call in about having an artic on the street and also to any pending reliefs they may have to trade them off with a 40 footer at the relief point. Maintenance was probably briefed already earlier in the week about not letting anyone pull out artics after the AM rush and to get the remaining ones off the street before conditions get bad around 2 pm onward. 

15 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

At least according to Pace, that's when you are supposed to test them, and they work in Duluth, Minnesota, although I guess one could question revenue service.

17 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

At least according to Pace, that's when you are supposed to test them, and they work in Duluth, Minnesota, although I guess one could question revenue service.

On the 600s front, Maths22's tracker does show four are out operating on the 66 at this very moment that I'm writing this response.

Yes and the folks who were on the 147 that I was on were freaking out because the bus was following 151 routing out of downtown peppering the bus operator with questions of if he was still going to Foster and why the bus wàsn't on Lake Shore. That's until I mentioned to them there's an alert out that buses aren't allowed on the Drive per CTA management due to the weather. Mind you just about all of them had smart phones in their hands and could have found that alert just as I did.