Morgan Green/Pink station....

dauber

Just wondering if any of you have any idea as to when the Morgan stop is going to open.

I work a block away from it, and honestly, the thing looks pretty much done...just wondering how long it'll take them before they open it. Googling gives me different sources that disagree when -- some say early 2012, some say summer 2012, some say fall 2012, some say late 2012...

Generally the expected date has Mid-2012 written over it, the question is how long before they begin to do punch-outs.

My personal guess is May or June (and probably around the time when Oakton is finished and operational).

That'll also probably be when the next map is released.

Well, for all we know, it might not be too far from facetiousness there, See. If I'm not mistaken, there's a whole grid of light bulb sockets behind those maps, though, so all they'd need to do is plug in the bulbs and pop in the new map with the proper hole cut out....right??

Well, for all we know, it might not be too far from facetiousness there, See. If I'm not mistaken, there's a whole grid of light bulb sockets behind those maps, though, so all they'd need to do is plug in the bulbs and pop in the new map with the proper hole cut out....right??

That's how it was explained. However, given the stink about the misspelled maps and the like a couple of years ago, maybe the surmise that they are waiting for both Morgan and Oakton to open together may have merit.

• 2 months later...

Passing through the Morgan station tonight, the station lights were on, at least on the platform.. They were ver bright. The station actually looks ready to open, perhaps next week or right after Memorial Day.

You're right - it's ready.

I would not be surprised if they open the station by the end of this week - to try to get some Chicago-moving-forward news in with all the NATO coverage.

Rahm, of course, will take credit for the new station, although construction began a year before he was elected, and funding and planning were determined even before that.

You're right - it's ready.

I would not be surprised if they open the station by the end of this week - to try to get some Chicago-moving-forward news in with all the NATO coverage.

Rahm, of course, will take credit for the new station, although construction began a year before he was elected, and funding and planning were determined even before that.

Maybe later in the month, they'll open it. They still have ladders on the platform, but all signage, lights etc. are in place. The station seems to have been cleaned up a little over the weekend from a work zone to look more like a station instead of a construction in progress. This past weekend they installed those same train tracker signs I was happy with at Oakton. They seem to currently be getting the sandboxes which double as a bench in place. It should be a nice station, but I wonder how the glass station canopy is going to hold up. With that area being a warehouse district being sort of desolate at night I hope the station won't be a target for vandals. Alot of cameras should deter that though. I'm a bit skeptical about where the ridership is going to come from for this station. There's no bus transfer here, just the fish markets and warehouses. There are some residential high rises to the east of the station. I wonder why they just didn't build a station at Halsted. It would seem smarter and maybe the high rise residents would still use the station. I guess time will tell is I'm right or wrong on this.

All this was done before Oakton was open, the ladders and workers were still out there working up to the last minute to get that Station ready for April 30th. So expect Morgan/Lake (Morgan once it's finally open & to be it's official name) to be opened after Memorial Day

I'm a bit skeptical about where the ridership is going to come from for this station. There's no bus transfer here, just the fish markets and warehouses. There is some residential high rises to the east of the station. I wonder why they just didn't build a station at Halsted. It would seem smarter and maybe the high rise residents would still use the station. I guess time will tell is I'm right or wrong on this.

The Fulton Market district has been gaining a lot of smaller creative companies that are attracted to the loft spaces and cheaper rents than River North. This station will be more centrally located to these companies and Harpo Studios than Halsted would. Some fantastic restaurants have opened in Fulton Market that will be easier to get to with Morgan and folks living east of there can get home from the loop quicker. There are also several vacant lots that hopefully will see growth once the station opens.

Morgan won't reduce commuting time or make commuting more enjoyable for people who live on the north side which is a problem with Fulton Market. I use to work in the area and the best way to get there before Morgan was transferring to a Halsted bus at North/Clybourn. A majority of my co-workers lived on the north side That was a miserable bus ride, in any given week the bus was so full at least 3 times you'd be stuck right up against the door it was so full (if you could get on). That route needs atrics badly. The Red Line would take a rider further east than necessary, require a transfer outside to State/Lake, and overall take longer. The bus option still wins for north siders.

Morgan will be a boon for commuters living along the Green and Pink lines.

Harpo Studios apparently downsized with Rosie being canceled, but the impetus was the Randolph and Fulton Markets, which are centered around Morgan, not Halsted. I agree that the Halsted bus is a miserable alternative, and the hike from Clinton is too far.

The Taste of Randolph St. is on again, so that ought to provide a test of whether the station works.

The Fulton Market district has been gaining a lot of smaller creative companies that are attracted to the loft spaces and cheaper rents than River North. This station will be more centrally located to these companies and Harpo Studios than Halsted would. Some fantastic restaurants have opened in Fulton Market that will be easier to get to with Morgan and folks living east of there can get home from the loop quicker. There are also several vacant lots that hopefully will see growth once the station opens.

Morgan won't reduce commuting time or make commuting more enjoyable for people who live on the north side which is a problem with Fulton Market. I use to work in the area and the best way to get there before Morgan was transferring to a Halsted bus at North/Clybourn. A majority of my co-workers lived on the north side That was a miserable bus ride, in any given week the bus was so full at least 3 times you'd be stuck right up against the door it was so full (if you could get on). That route needs atrics badly. The Red Line would take a rider further east than necessary, require a transfer outside to State/Lake, and overall take longer. The bus option still wins for north siders.

Morgan will be a boon for commuters living along the Green and Pink lines.

I don't know how it is around that area, but west of there around Ogden is kind of scary at night. It gets spooky dark and there's no one around. I fear for my safety walking those streets, but maybe it's different down the street.

I don't know how it is around that area, but west of there around Ogden is kind of scary at night. It gets spooky dark and there's no one around. I fear for my safety walking those streets, but maybe it's different down the street.

Ogden is the Ashland station, so the indication would be that one at Morgan would be safer.

Lake Street itself may be an issue, but Randolph and Fulton got improvements in connection with Daley sprucing up the area (with the in street planters in Randolph and the like) in connection with that being a gateway to the 1996 Convention.

And, apparently, the high-brow restaurants listed in the Taste of Randolph announcement are able to do business there.

Harpo Studios apparently downsized with Rosie being canceled, but the impetus was the Randolph and Fulton Markets, which are centered around Morgan, not Halsted. I agree that the Halsted bus is a miserable alternative, and the hike from Clinton is too far.

The Taste of Randolph St. is on again, so that ought to provide a test of whether the station works.

Bye Rosie!! Dont let the door hit you in the A!!!! :)

Are you sure about

Yes, They have been working 12 hour days, seven days a week for the last 2 weeks. Rahm wanted it finished sometime this week, so they will have a soft opening Friday. Obviously, they will have a significant amount of punch list items to address after the opening.

Yes, They have been working 12 hour days, seven days a week for the last 2 weeks. Rahm wanted it finished sometime this week, so they will have a soft opening Friday. Obviously, they will have a significant amount of punch list items to address after the opening.

Ok, thank you, just like with the Oakton/Skokie, it will have it's opening on June 24th, 2012, April 30th, 2012 was consider a Soft Revenue Opening then. Plus, it seems it took them an EXTREMELY LONG TIME TO GET MORGAN OPEN. It was once rumored it might not have opened until late summer early fall

Yesterday they were powerwashing the platforms, and the Train tracker signs were on.