Hiring Process

oBIGGYo

I was Interviewed, Drug tested, Vision tested & rest of Medical examinations completed. my question is how long before i hear back from CTA?

Don't hold your breath - last hires were in 12/09 - that's two and a half years ago. CTA desperately needs drivers, particularly at North Park and Chicago, but are reluctant to do ANYTHING until something is done regarding the union contract, and right now the union is is no hurry to do anything.

• 1 month later...

Big news for those interested in becoming a CTA Bus Driver... your time might be coming up soon!!! CTA is reported to be hiring 400 Part Time Bus Operators (Story)

BEWARE...it is for the Red Line construction and is temporary. After the project, you'll probably be out on the street again. They say it is permanent, but what are they going to do with 400 PT drivers once it is over ????

BEWARE...it is for the Red Line construction and is temporary. After the project, you'll probably be out on the street again. They say it is permanent, but what are they going to do with 400 PT drivers once it is over ????

It's also a lot of bus operators retiring as well so they are hiring new operators to replace those who are leaving.

Big news for those interested in becoming a CTA Bus Driver... your time might be coming up soon!!! CTA is reported to be hiring 400 Part Time Bus Operators (Story)

What I dont understand is why are the CTA job fairs always seem to be on the south side? What about the north side? Or the Northwest side? Or the southwest sides?. People from all around the city should have access and given a fair shot at these jobs. IMO, CTA dosent seem to make the effort to be diverse when it comes to hiring.

What I dont understand is why are the CTA job fairs always seem to be on the south side? What about the north side? Or the Northwest side? Or the southwest sides?. People from all around the city should have access and given a fair shot at these jobs. IMO, CTA dosent seem to make the effort to be diverse when it comes to hiring.

Because, as it says in the article, these part time positions are for the Red Line replacement bus services.

Because, as it says in the article, these part time positions are for the Red Line replacement bus services.

Not quite how it works. Just like the massive hiring increase for three-track (remember that, way back when?) didn't mean that the new-hires only worked three-track extras, or only worked out of north-side garages, hiring a bunch of operators for the Red Line project doesn't mean those new hires will be driving Red Line shuttles.

CTA has several thousand bus operators (was 4800 a few years ago, don't know what it is today), and the Red Line project will increase requirements by 400 over whatever today's number is.

It could very well be that the most senior guy in the system winds up driving Red Line shuttles, and, in the process of filling up all of the rest of the work, the last new hire from this job fair winds up driving trippers on 92 Foster.

There could be a large number of part-time bus operators who live on the south side but work out of north-side garages, and want to switch to a garage closer to where they live. Right now they can't because there are no open slots, but when the Red Line work starts up, those PTOs will head south and the new hires backfill those spots on the north side.

That said, to address the previous question, I wouldn't say they're "always" on the south side. I know they had job fairs at 567 before. Once I had to fight my way through a crowd at said fair just to get into the office on a Saturday.

• Upvote 2

It's also a lot of bus operators retiring as well so they are hiring new operators to replace those who are leaving.

Besides that, maybe CTA thinks that the sales tax collection recession will be over by 2014.

In any event, an applicant has to have some way to get one's foot in the door.

However, the news media seems to have picked up that CTA suddenly and magically created 900 jobs, without regard to whether they are permanent.

Regardless, it matters where theyre recruiting bus operators from regardless of what project this will be benefiting. What should be happening is that hiring should be fair and diverse!

Regardless, it matters where theyre recruiting bus operators from regardless of what project this will be benefiting. What should be happening is that hiring should be fair and diverse!

Undoubtedly true, but I remember, I guess about 40 years ago, when there was some news story about CTA drivers, my mother asked why all of them were Black, and I said that wasn't the case, but there were certain results from having neighborhood garages.

But, just because there are job fairs at two far south side locations doesn't mean that's the only place CTA will be hiring. After all, the third fair is at the same location as the Chinatown Red Line public meeting.

And let me add that Chicago is not just a collection of isolated islands where people from across the city don't know how to make their way south if they want to get employment bad enough. The different sections of this city has been and still is connected to each other by the diffent CTA and Metra rail lines, Lake Shore Drive and the major area highways and expressways. To suggest that the current job fairs being south automatically means all or most of the new hires will be from the south side is pushing it. After all, a fuss was made in the Dan Ryan project thread that people should know how to use the various modes of transportation available in the city generally speaking and areas south in particular to bear with CTA dismantling and rebuilding the Dan Ryan portion of the Red Line. So in that same light, there should be no issue with people who reside on the north, northwest, west and southwest sides making their way to the south side to these job fairs if they truly want the same shot at getting hired as anybody who reside in the south side areas immediately surrounding the job fair location that might also attend. After all there were operators that once worked Kedzie Garage whom I personally went to high school with and knew to reside on the north and south sides. And if they truly were only looking to get just folks from the south side, they wouldn't bother with giving information to the city news media to spread word to the ENTIRE city, nor would they bother with posting information on buses from all garages as opposed with only putting the information on buses only assigned to 74th, 77th and 103rd garages when it comes time that they put that information on official informational placards on the buses.

• 2 weeks later...

There was just a TV news story on this, the relevant points being:

• The length of the line for part time work indicates how bad the job situation is here.
  • If someone in line doesn't have a CDL, CTA will give them instructional leads, but will not take an application.

And let me add that Chicago is not just a collection of isolated islands where people from across the city don't know how to make their way south if they want to get employment bad enough. The different sections of this city has been and still is connected to each other by the diffent CTA and Metra rail lines, Lake Shore Drive and the major area highways and expressways. To suggest that the current job fairs being south automatically means all or most of the new hires will be from the south side is pushing it. After all, a fuss was made in the Dan Ryan project thread that people should know how to use the various modes of transportation available in the city generally speaking and areas south in particular to bear with CTA dismantling and rebuilding the Dan Ryan portion of the Red Line. So in that same light, there should be no issue with people who reside on the north, northwest, west and southwest sides making their way to the south side to these job fairs if they truly want the same shot at getting hired as anybody who reside in the south side areas immediately surrounding the job fair location that might also attend. After all there were operators that once worked Kedzie Garage whom I personally went to high school with and knew to reside on the north and south sides. And if they truly were only looking to get just folks from the south side, they wouldn't bother with giving information to the city news media to spread word to the ENTIRE city, nor would they bother with posting information on buses from all garages as opposed with only putting the information on buses only assigned to 74th, 77th and 103rd garages when it comes time that they put that information on official informational placards on the buses.

I dont believe that this statement of CTA job fairs being held only on the South Side is pushing it. This isnt the first time that CTA does this. They have done this quite a few times in the past, I just dont think its fair! CTA should hold its job fairs in downtown or have job fairs on the south side but also on the north, NW side, SW sides. All citizens of this city should have easy access to these jobs, not just one area of Chicago! Just suppose this situation was the other way around! CTA or any other agency where they may have many job openings holding a recruitment fair, but theyre all on the North side on the NW side of Chicago! There would be such outrage from residents on the south side. At the forefront of course would be media hound, Jesse Jackson! Sorry, but Im just stating my opinions on this because I dont think the CTA is being fair about this!

Did the CTA bring job fairs to the southside when the Brown Line Expansion project was underway?

There weren't any job fairs, because CTA didn't threaten to close service. The most that could have been said is that they added a few more buses on 11 and maybe 146. Not like adding 100 buses and 400 part timers.

When they did the Pink Line (then Douglas Blue) construction, that route was already closed on weekends due to the 1997 service cuts and the X21 bus was already there.

Similarly, there are no job fairs for the current North Red project.

There weren't any job fairs, because CTA didn't threaten to close service. The most that could have been said is that they added a few more buses on 11 and maybe 146. Not like adding 100 buses and 400 part timers.

When they did the Pink Line (then Douglas Blue) construction, that route was already closed on weekends due to the 1997 service cuts and the X21 bus was already there.

Similarly, there are no job fairs for the current North Red project.

Did people that live near the pink line have job fairs?

Did people that live near the pink line have job fairs?

I said no, because the line was already closed during construction. The main construction mode was to build concrete pillars under the existing tracks, then knock out a stretch of structure over the weekend and install the new track panels. Look at chicago-l.org.

And, if you have to ask--there weren't job fairs when the 3 L bridges were replaced in Evanston--for the same reason.

Did the CTA bring job fairs to the southside when the Brown Line Expansion project was underway?

The Brown Line was not shut down at any time during its rebuilding! Some stations were closed for rebuild but it had no affect to service.

The Pink Line was a new service start up line, not a shut down! Whats your angle???

Actually, it was a rebuilding of the 100 year old Douglas Park branch, as I indicated above. The only "new service" was that they fixed the Paulina Connector and routed it via it, but technically that wasn't new either, since they did similar when the Eisenhower Expressway was being built and Douglas lost its connection with the former Garfield route.

I'm sure that whatever angle he has has to do with that the north and west siders had their chance, except that none of those lines were shut down with complete bustitution. However, the only thing even remotely analogous to this situation was the Green Line shutdown of around 1995. While there was bus substitution, it was nowhere near what this project supposedly is going to be.

I dont believe that this statement of CTA job fairs being held only on the South Side is pushing it. This isnt the first time that CTA does this. They have done this quite a few times in the past, I just dont think its fair! CTA should hold its job fairs in downtown or have job fairs on the south side but also on the north, NW side, SW sides. All citizens of this city should have easy access to these jobs, not just one area of Chicago! Just suppose this situation was the other way around! CTA or any other agency where they may have many job openings holding a recruitment fair, but theyre all on the North side on the NW side of Chicago! There would be such outrage from residents on the south side. At the forefront of course would be media hound, Jesse Jackson! Sorry, but Im just stating my opinions on this because I dont think the CTA is being fair about this!

And I still give the same reply while casting aside the shots at political figures whom have no part in this process since this is not a political forum. If anybody outside the south side is so interested in getting hired then they should know how and be willing to navigate their way south to get the same consideration in that same stroke that folks on here have yammered about the folks living south should be willing and know how to navigate other modes of transit while the Dan Ryan is shutdown for five months.

And I still give the same reply while casting aside the shots at political figures whom have no part in this process since this is not a political forum. If anybody outside the south side is so interested in getting hired then they should know how and be willing to navigate their way south to get the same consideration in that same stroke that folks on here have yammered about the folks living south should be willing and know how to navigate other modes of transit while the Dan Ryan is shutdown for five months.

I agree to the extent that if someone has a CDL and getting a job is that hard, they will find a way.

• 3 weeks later...