3200-series - Updates

sw4400

12 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Somebody got a lot of explaining to do!!! xD

image.jpeg

After thinking about it, my first guess was that the LED run number boxes are still set independently of the roll signs, just like the traditional run number boxes. That possibly means that the LED run number boxes were still displaying the previous run number, or the run number they were set to when the rehabbed cars were leading the train.

Was the train actually performing run 428?

27 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

After thinking about it, my first guess was that the LED run number boxes are still set independently of the roll signs, just like the traditional run number boxes. That possibly means that the LED run number boxes were still displaying the previous run number, or the run number they were set to when the rehabbed cars were leading the train.

That train was indeed running 428.

8 hours ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

The other thing I thought of later was that the operator set it on the first trip, then changed ends at Kimball for the second.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

The other thing I thought of later was that the operator set it on the first trip, then changed ends at Kimball for the second.

I had similar thoughts as well, until garmon757 confirmed it was the correct run number for the train at the moment...

9 hours ago, garmon757 said:

35 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

I had similar thoughts as well, until garmon757 confirmed it was the correct run number for the train at the moment...

That doesn't necessarily negate that. The run number is an operator's pick, not a train number like on Metra.

36 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That doesn't necessarily negate that. The run number is an operator's pick, not a train number like on Metra.

True. Like garmon757, I'm still wondering how the system works with rehabbed and non rehabbed cars.

Either way, I forgot the original point/idea I was trying to make. Carry on!

12 minutes ago, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

True. Like garmon757, I'm still wondering how the system works with rehabbed and non rehabbed cars.

The real question is what punches in the run number. The specs were quite clear that the two knobs that control the roll destination signs and the same wiring control the controller for the digital destination signs.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

The real question is what punches in the run number. The specs were quite clear that the two knobs that control the roll destination signs and the same wiring control the controller for the digital destination signs.

They have to punch in a run number for the announcements anyways; it's probably from that box. Maybe there's a communication line down the train on the 3200s already that they're able to use for the run number. Or...maybe it's WiFi, lol. The 5000s use a combination of WiFi and Ethernet.

13 hours ago, garmon757 said:

I take it that many posters never paid attention to run displays at the rear end of CTA trains until the LEDs appeared on 3200 series railcars. So many knew nothing of rules that date back to the 1990s about run displays at the end of CTA trains. There is one!

I stayed out of the debate because a certain poster was in it and it does me no good to participate when my contributions are not read.  

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, joechicago said:

Those maps are pretty useless and inconviently located

I've never actually seen one in person despite the fact that I used to ride the 5000s all the time. I never sat in the middle of the car. They should have modified the map to make it more rectangular and placed it above one doorway, with the other side still having the individual line map.

The electronic map displays were not included in the rehab specifications, just the LED destination and "run display" signs!

Interesting note: The roof boards on 3444 were not removed, so either this just a car that was retrofitted with the LED installments or it was fully rehabbed and the roof boards were left intact! This could possibly mean that when the 3200s finally retire, there will be a "little" something special about the railcars.

48 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

The electronic map displays were not included in the rehab specifications, just the LED destination and "run display" signs!

Interesting note: The roof boards on 3444 were not removed, so either this just a car that was retrofitted with the LED installments or it was fully rehabbed and the roof boards were left intact! This could possibly mean that when the 3200s finally retire, there will be a "little" something special about the railcars.

I thought the ones with roof boards had some special architecture in the roof to support them. It's probably not possible to remove the boards without compromising the structural integrity of the cars that have them.

3 hours ago, briman94 said:

I thought the ones with roof boards had some special architecture in the roof to support them. It's probably not possible to remove the boards without compromising the structural integrity of the cars that have them.

The architecture is probably stronger, but yanking off the "boards" will probably make the roofs leak.

Sweet! Just found 3401 on my way home. Smells all nice and new inside, a bit like the 5700s hopefully still do. The lights inside are pretty cool...they're very rounded and contemporary-looking, unlike the 5000s and older cars that have boxy fixtures. Picture:

lxHXK.jpg

I can't really notice a difference in ride quality because there are 6 other non-rehabbed cars and the couplers are all jerky, but the A/C is very quiet and the ride while coasting is smooth at least.

Another interesting note, the motors themselves sound like tiny jet turbines. They make a bit of a high-pitched whine or whir when the train speeds up.

• Upvote 3

On 11/23/2015, 11:59:45, MTRSP1900-CTA3200 said:

Either way, I forgot the original point/idea I was trying to make. Carry on!

I was realizing last night...is there an alternating-current power line that runs the length of the train? They could send the run number signal over that. It's possible to send low-voltage digital signals over high-voltage AC lines; you can get internet in your house that works that way. They might be able to communicate over that line if there is one which would pass through the un-rehabbed cars unchanged.