Pulse (Milwaukee Avenue Route)

Tcmetro

According to the pulse website Its part of vision 2020 something more than express buses.  

But Pace has said that everything it has done for the past 15  years is part of that.Read the Vision 2020 page.*

The rest of you should read the Pulse page. That link (or a reference to the icon) has been posted here before.

_________

*In that the illustration on the homepage is a green CNG Compobus, you know it is not new.

• 4 weeks later...

They had in the NW side press an article saying they want to remove Foremost Liquors (Central/Milwaukee NB stop far side) Milwaukee Avenue driveway for that stop. Also they are doing like CTA and making the curbs bus floor height so wheelchairs can roll on at the Pulse stops. (sounds like a bad idea because there still would be a gap without a ramp.) They are going to have heated shelters too. They might have to station a guard at the Central one or it will become a homeless haven. Still undecided is whether the #85 NB stop at Milwaukee is going to be on Central versus milwaukee. They claim traffic can't make a right turn there. What i would do is remove the stop from central for the central service, put a far side foster stop and just make foster and central one stop. That could be done for the SB #270's too. Service levels for the Pulse seem to mirror existing service levels for the #270. Local #270 hasn't been decided, but may prove to be the more controversial move they make.  (Probably half frequency if that)  

.... Local #270 hasn't been decided, but may prove to be the more controversial move they make.  (Probably half frequency if that)  

The materials for the meeting in Niles said once every half hour (remember the prior discussion about all Glenbrook 270 trips would be retained, but not all 270s would be Glenbrooks). These materials seem more ambiguous. Was there anything in what you have that indicates that somehow Pace has changed its position?

BTW, I found the Nadig article here.

Edited by Busjack

The materials for the meeting in Niles said once every half hour (remember the prior discussion about all Glenbrook 270 trips would be retained, but not all 270s would be Glenbrooks). These materials seem more ambiguous. Was there anything in what you have that indicates that somehow Pace has changed its position?

Yeah, most likely all #270 locals will be the Glenbrook trips. When I mentioned half the frequency if that, I mean't in relation to current service levels or future Pulse 270 levels as they are going to mirror each other. But if it is just Glenbrook trips, that's one bus an hour, maybe not as bad in the rush, might be 30 minutes. Bottom line, it sounds to me like it's every third bus will be a local, but will the Pulse bus run together with the local, as the 30 minute bus would be the time slot for both buses? I don't know what happens at night when service is 30 minutes or 60 minutes, they have the last 4 sunday runs every 60 or they used to. They might have to restrict Pulse service to Midday only on Weekends if it runs on weekends at all. Or maybe after 8 PM on weekdays. Then you have the #272/#270 interlines. I don't think they would run a Pulse branded bus up to Vernon Hills. 

Edited by BusHunter

Yeah, most likely all #270 locals will be the Glenbrook trips. When I mentioned half the frequency if that, I mean't in relation to current service levels or future Pulse 270 levels as they are going to mirror each other. But if it is just Glenbrook trips, that's one bus an hour, maybe not as bad in the rush, might be 30 minutes. Bottom line, it sounds to me like it's every third bus will be a local, but will the Pulse bus run together with the local, as the 30 minute bus would be the time slot for both buses? I don't know what happens at night when service is 30 minutes or 60 minutes, they have the last 4 sunday runs every 60 or they used to. They might have to restrict Pulse service to Midday only on Weekends if it runs on weekends at all. Or maybe after 8 PM on weekdays. Then you have the #272/#270 interlines. I don't think they would run a Pulse branded bus up to Vernon Hills. 

The prior discussion was that the locals would run every 30 minutes. Hence, other than rush hour, only half the locals would go to Glenbrook, and none of the locals on Sunday. The current materials say that Pulse only runs to Golf Mill and there will be other Pace service past there, so, no, it isn't running to Hawthorne.

Reading the Nadig article, the only possible change from what I was told at Niles is that a public hearing would be needed to do what I suggested, which was to get rid of 270 entirely, while the Nadig article gives the impression that a public hearing would be needed to do anything to 270. Of course, that planner turned out full of beans about implementation of the Niles Free Bus modernization being put off until after Pulse. However, it is clear in any event from the statements about the percentage of current riders now using stops that will become Pulse stations, Pulse is not going to become the slave of 270. It will run at the hours and frequencies stated in the Niles meeting materials.

• 5 months later...
2 hours ago, jajuan said:

Pace now has a virtual ride tour of the Milwaukee Pulse Line. 

If it goes 100 feet in the air at 70 mph, I'm not going to have any problem going to either Shop and Save.B| Maybe the consultant could have modeled it at ground level.

2 minutes ago, Busjack said:

If it goes 100 feet in the air at 70 mph, I'm not going to have any problem going to either Shop and Save.B| Maybe the consultant could have modeled it at ground level.

Ha ha. I was thinking that same thing. Is it modeling a hovercraft or a suburban BRT style bus service?:P

• Upvote 1

• 3 months later...
9 minutes ago, west towns said:

Has anyone heard anything new on milwaukee?  It seems to have gone into a black hole

Wonder if the state budget issue has anything to do with it

1. It is scheduled for 2017.

2. It is CMAQ money.

3. If you insist on bringing up the state budget bugaboo (irrelevant here, based on 2), a capital bill was passed and signed this week.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
3 hours ago, west towns said:

Its close for this year with construction going till november. How long is it going to take to pour concrete and put up a shelter?

This isn't just that (basically because Niles already has bus shelters). Probably comparable to 100th and Paxon, they have to make sure there are adequate clearances, electric connections for the signs on the pylons, flat boarding, etc. There is also the state highway responsibility of getting the TSP on the traffic signals.

At about :26:30 of the Board Meeting Video, a statement was made "by the end of the year." TJ Ross said they still have to acquire property, and each stop is different.

Kind of interesting, they talk about Pulse Milwaukee today on the latest news letter on the Pace front page of it's site and reveal it's status and the status of the buses. They say the buses have interior tv screens, usb chargers, and a wifi hotspot (the last is nothing new as all Pace Axess have this) now get this, they state some are in service, (no kidding #6510 and #6511) but they say they are for training the operators on the new equipment. (don't quite get why they need training, they don't know how to make a station stop?) Perhaps the training is in part for use on transit signal priority as I believe these have that too. In the article which I'm linking to, they make it sound like all buses will be out to train shortly, so it sounds like we'll be seeing them on #270 before too long. (at least they are not sitting in a lot, which is a waste, someone is using their noodle at least)

They go on to state construction is starting on Pulse Milwaukee as they have finalized all plans on construction. They are in the build stage now. They claim Dempster Pulse in in the wings also with a 2018 startup. (with what newer Pulse buses?) and also they claim they have 11 express routes (expressway routes) and 24 rapid transit bus routes planned. (really!!) Man Pace is going to have some real good service soon, maybe the CTA execs need to pay them a visit (LOL!!, just kidding) but maybe I'm not!! Here's that link:

http://pacebus.com/sub/news_events/Pace_2017.asp#Pulse_Rapid_Transit_Service

You are reading way too much into it.

Clicking through ultimately gets one to the Winter 2016-2017 Pulse Newsletter.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They say the buses have interior tv screens

No, what you linked said "Modern vehicles with USB charging ports, interior digital video screens and free customer Wi-Fi have already been delivered." The newsletters says: "and digital information signs with audio/visual stop announcements to help passengers reach their destinations." Maybe that's a flat screen like what was supposed to be on J14. Nothing about watching Maury on the way to Golf Mill. TransitTV probably is not coming back, either.

They go on to state construction is starting on Pulse Milwaukee as they have finalized all plans on construction.

No, it says "Pace will begin the bidding process for construction in early 2017." That's consistent with what I said that it just appeared on the Active/In Process Bids page. They can't start construction until the bidding process is completed and a contract is awarded. "Construction is planned for summer 2017 and the Milwaukee Line will begin service by the end of 2017."

They claim Dempster Pulse in in the wings also with a 2018 startup.

Definitely not of service.  What you linked said "Pending approval of construction funding, it is anticipated that this line will go into service in 2019." The newsletter said: "In 2017 and 2018, Pace will conduct a federally mandated review of the potential environmental impacts of the Dempster Line. As part of this process, Pace will evaluate the project’s anticipated impact on air quality, noise, vibration, and ecological, archaeological, and historic resources. ... Though the schedule for the Dempster Line is pending grant funding and is subject to change, construction is currently anticipated to take place in 2018-2019 with service launching in 2019."

Again this is consistent with CMAP having put off the application until Milwaukee proves itself.

As far as the 24 lines, that's nothing new as far as what Pace has said, but note again all the contingencies.

13 hours ago, Busjack said:

You are reading way too much into it.

Clicking through ultimately gets one to the Winter 2016-2017 Pulse Newsletter.

No, what you linked said "Modern vehicles with USB charging ports, interior digital video screens and free customer Wi-Fi have already been delivered." The newsletters says: "and digital information signs with audio/visual stop announcements to help passengers reach their destinations." Maybe that's a flat screen like what was supposed to be on J14. Nothing about watching Maury on the way to Golf Mill. TransitTV probably is not coming back, either.

No, it says "Pace will begin the bidding process for construction in early 2017." That's consistent with what I said that it just appeared on the Active/In Process Bids page. They can't start construction until the bidding process is completed and a contract is awarded. "Construction is planned for summer 2017 and the Milwaukee Line will begin service by the end of 2017."

Definitely not of service.  What you linked said "Pending approval of construction funding, it is anticipated that this line will go into service in 2019." The newsletter said: "In 2017 and 2018, Pace will conduct a federally mandated review of the potential environmental impacts of the Dempster Line. As part of this process, Pace will evaluate the project’s anticipated impact on air quality, noise, vibration, and ecological, archaeological, and historic resources. ... Though the schedule for the Dempster Line is pending grant funding and is subject to change, construction is currently anticipated to take place in 2018-2019 with service launching in 2019."

Again this is consistent with CMAP having put off the application until Milwaukee proves itself.

As far as the 24 lines, that's nothing new as far as what Pace has said, but note again all the contingencies.

Well they claim there will be digital screens counting down the bus times in the shelters. I don't know why they mention video screens on the buses because video is video not a scroll sign which is visual. What we really need to do is track down #6510 and see what is in these buses to know for sure, but soon we'll get that chance when they train on local routes.

As far as construction yes that is true and the more detailed answer. Bottom line is it's coming soon finally.

I don't know why but what I read makes it sound like Dempster Pulse is an active project, although in the planning stage. Why else would they refer to the Pulse project as having 2 lines.

One thing stands out to me also, if the training buses will be entering service, then possibly the days of Orions at NW may be over or at least on fumes.

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I don't know why but what I read makes it sound like Dempster Pulse is an active project, although in the planning stage. Why else would they refer to the Pulse project as having 2 lines.

Yes, and at the moment that's all it is. It is about as active as the Red Line South, but other than paying consultants, that hasn't started either. Anyway, the claim was 2019, not as you said 2018.

• 4 months later...
On 8/17/2017 at 11:29 AM, Pace831 said:

The logo is just below the word "shoulder". If you look closely you can see it partially behind the fence bar. There are no other markings on the side other than the white stripe and fleet number.

DSCF2279.thumb.JPG.15bcfe5faa45c860e68051c9de56e443.JPG

Some musing  here. The logo here is similar to the placement on the trolleys (but one would not have expected the big logo on a trolley). While  the Pulse buses will get the full wrap, will the wrap be cut to  show the small logos near the front door?

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to mention this yesterday and totally forgot. According to the Nadig Northwest Side Press (Aug 24th edition) Pulse is slated to get started with construction early next month on Milwaukee. Path Construction is awarded the construction contract. Here's the link

http://nadignewspapers.com/2017/08/25/work-on-pulse-bus-line-stations-may-begin-soon/