Pulse (Milwaukee Avenue Route)

Tcmetro

I've been using the Pulse Milwaukee a few times lately.  Bu like the frequency of the service.   I love the speed of the route from Jefferson Park to Golf Mill.  I don't mind the purple interior lighting.  I like the TV monitors showing the next station. 

My only complaint is the full body wrap.  I get the Pulse wrap, but I'm sure the word PULSE can fit on the body as well as above the windows.  The window wrappings are not only ugly and unnecessary,  it makes it very difficult to see outside from inside the bus.  Fortunately my travel doesn't require me to see any visible cuts as to when I need to get off.  I hope they consider these things when they decide to start Pulse Dempster.

To be honest I think New Flyers would look better on Pulse routes.  Pace should order 20 more New Flyers and put them in Pulse service.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I've been using the Pulse Milwaukee a few times lately.  Bu like the frequency of the service.   I love the speed of the route from Jefferson Park to Golf Mill.  I don't mind the purple interior lighting.  I like the TV monitors showing the next station. 

My only complaint is the full body wrap.  I get the Pulse wrap, but I'm sure the word PULSE can fit on the body as well as above the windows.  The window wrappings are not only ugly and unnecessary,  it makes it very difficult to see outside from inside the bus.  Fortunately my travel doesn't require me to see any visible cuts as to when I need to get off.  I hope they consider these things when they decide to start Pulse Dempster.

To be honest I think New Flyers would look better on Pulse routes.  Pace should order 20 more New Flyers and put them in Pulse service.

Slightly related, I always wondered what the point of wrapping buses in game day schemes was for if they weren't going to use those buses for games. Half the Pace buses out there when I was at soldier field last month were pulse buses. I'm sure that purple lighting was a welcome comfort after a home loss and a traffic filled ride home. ?

• 1 year later...

On Sunday, I went out here and got some photographs of both Pulse routes. I wound up at Chasers bar & grill, which seemingly is open until 4:00 am. So I have more images of Milwaukee Pulse than Dempster Pulse (but I do have the other). Here are those:

Yes, it is nearly impossible to get a photograph of anything outside the bus through the Pulse wrap [c.v.]. However, on my return trip, the bus in Pulse service (6432) was not wrapped in Pulse purple. 

That is a tantalizing poster advert for Pulse service. ?

chasers-02.jpg

pace270-094(6564).jpg

pace270-096(6564).jpg

pace270-097(6564).jpg

pace270-098(6564).jpg

pace270-100.jpg

pace270-101(6566).jpg

pace270-102(6566).jpg

pace270-105(6432).jpg

• 2 months later...
On 9/6/2023 at 3:14 PM, pudgym29 said:

On Sunday, I went out here and got some photographs of both Pulse routes. I wound up at Chasers bar & grill, which seemingly is open until 4:00 am. So I have more images of Milwaukee Pulse than Dempster Pulse (but I do have the other). Here are those:

Yes, it is nearly impossible to get a photograph of anything outside the bus through the Pulse wrap [c.v.]. However, on my return trip, the bus in Pulse service (6432) was not wrapped in Pulse purple. 

That is a tantalizing poster advert for Pulse service. ?

chasers-02.jpg

pace270-094(6564).jpg

pace270-096(6564).jpg

pace270-097(6564).jpg

pace270-098(6564).jpg

pace270-100.jpg

pace270-101(6566).jpg

pace270-102(6566).jpg

pace270-105(6432).jpg

the A1 message is because only the first batch of pulse buses 6510 though 22 has a diffrent type of headsign, so the original pulse headsign  that the later wrapped buses have cant read the file, we end up using diffrent codes for them but have to do so manually, and some ops dont remember to change them. for milwaukee, we have the normal 1000 and 1001 with the fancy signs, and 1002 and 1003 for the less fancy.  for dempster pulse, 1010 and 1011 is fance, and 1012 and 1013 for less fancy. 

will also say that I dont like the older lighting cause the rearview mirror ends up getting really dark midday. the normal white lighting is much better for this. 

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, OneofthewillsNW said:

the A1 message is because only the first batch of pulse buses 6510 though 22 has a diffrent type of headsign, so the original pulse headsign  that the later wrapped buses have cant read the file, we end up using diffrent codes for them but have to do so manually, and some ops dont remember to change them. for milwaukee, we have the normal 1000 and 1001 with the fancy signs, and 1002 and 1003 for the less fancy.  for dempster pulse, 1010 and 1011 is fance, and 1012 and 1013 for less fancy. 

will also say that I dont like the older lighting cause the rearview mirror ends up getting really dark midday. the normal white lighting is much better for this. 

Seems a bit easier to remember than CTA. If I'm not mistaken the codes contain part of the route number right? Milwaukee is "route 100" Dempster is "route 101?"

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Seems a bit easier to remember than CTA. If I'm not mistaken the codes contain part of the route number right? Milwaukee is "route 100" Dempster is "route 101?"

first three digits are the route number with 100 for milwaukee and 101 for dempster. last digit is the headsign destination.

some like 290 have up to like 296  and I think 250 has a few extra too like an extra code for when your passing des plains east bound to just say "to davis" also the school trip headsigns are thier. outside of that, 70 for not in service and 80 for to garage.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here is a previously unmentioned aspect of Pace bus service:

A week ago, when we had that one Wednesday when the temperature unexpectedly rose to 62°F; I adjusted my schedule to go out somewhere. That turned out to be The Garage Bar and Sandwiches on north Milwaukee Ave.

This meant a ride on Pace Pulse Milwaukee Avenue. {Devon station}. At Jefferson Park, I grabbed a photo of the scheduled bus, which was pretending to be not in service [c.v.], and upon boarding, detected a distinct farebox I had no recollection of viewing prior to then, on Pace #6521. 😘

It is a Genfare 'fast fare' farebox.

pace270-113(6521).jpg

pace270-114(6521)-farebox.jpg

Hopefully, I will have my camera on me when I do encounter an Authority bus {from Chicago Garage} with that new farebox. 😬

Edited by pudgym29
misidentified farebox.
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

Here is a previously unmentioned aspect of Pace bus service:

A week ago, when we had that one Wednesday when the temperature unexpectedly rose to 62°F; I adjusted my schedule to go out somewhere. That turned out to be The Garage Bar and Sandwiches on north Milwaukee Ave.

This meant a ride on Pace Pulse Milwaukee Avenue. {Devon station}. At Jefferson Park, I grabbed a photo of the scheduled bus, which was pretending to be not in service [c.v.], and upon boarding, detected the new farebox being installed on C.T.A. vehicles on Pace #6521. 😘

pace270-113(6521).jpg

pace270-114(6521)-farebox.jpg

Where do you tap the Ventra Card on these boxes?

15 minutes ago, strictures said:

Where do you tap the Ventra Card on these boxes?

You don't. The one pictured on the linked SPX page has a symbol for a chip card, but the Pace one does not. I'm sure the Cubic readers are still there.