RTA Governance

As for Pace, I could see Pace split in two, with the "line service" being combined with CTA and the train feeders becoming a branch operation of Metra. The two operations really have little in common. But the main reason it can never happen is that Pace drivers are paid substantially less than CTA, and each garage has its own union local (with only a couple of exceptions), so they can't even have "system picks", much less unification of any sort.

If you aren't going to argue for a unified governance model for the region, yeah, it makes a "whole lot of sense" to abolish the only governing board that seems to do a competent job of running its operation.

Does one really want to see a CTA Press Release starting with MAYOR RAHM EMANUEL announces bus service changes for Oak Park? Or Elgin? Or Metra trying to run Dial A Ride or BOS?

It is one thing to say that "regional planners" should stop the current method of encroach and then retreat. It is something else to recommend that boards that are incompetent to supervise their own operations be given more responsibility.

BTW, speaking of encroach and retreat, there is a reason why there are topics here. Use the MultiQuote button if you have to.

• 2 years later...

So RTA is pressuring Carter to come up with a budget along with a fare hike or be doomed!

The letter is in the second link. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-met-cta-fares-rta-20171114-story.html

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/wisniewski/ct-rta-cta-letter-20171114-htmlstory.html

• 7 months later...
On 11/21/2013 at 10:34 PM, mkohut said:

RTA (and the rest of the sales tax collecting entities, such as Toni Preckwinkle) just got another windfall/what they thought was due. The Supreme Court just overruled the cases that said that Internet merchants were not required to collect use taxes if they don't have a physical presence in the state (Forbes).

Like the Hartney Fuel Oil case, I bet this stops a lot of bellyaching by the budgeting government units for at least the next two minutes.

Of course, the Quill case didn't mean much to us with respect to Quill, which has a physical presence on Pace 626.

On 6/21/2018 at 1:56 PM, Busjack said:

Tribune says Illinois already has laws in place, and start paying Oct. 1.

I was just going to say, I thought it was already Illinois law that sales tax be charged on purchases made by Illinois residents. For the past few years, I've been paying sales taxes on every online purchase I've made. 

9 minutes ago, jajuan said:

I was just going to say, I thought it was already Illinois law that sales tax be charged on purchases made by Illinois residents. For the past few years, I've been paying sales taxes on every online purchase I've made. 

The U.S. Supreme Court law was that if they had a physical presence in the state, you had  to pay. Obviously, Amazon's warehouses  on Pace routes 360 and 361 are physical presences in Illinois. As I noted above, the Quill case did no good in Illinois.

What this affects is stuff like independent  merchants on the Amazon marketplace (such as when I  got a battery ordered on amazon.com in an  Ebay envelope). It also affects all the merchandise sold  on TV subchannels that said NJ and Calif. add sales tax.

However, since most major online sellers have local fulfillment facilities, some analysts say this won't generate as much money as thought. 

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

The U.S. Supreme Court law was that if they had a physical presence in the state, you had  to pay. Obviously, Amazon's warehouses  on Pace routes 360 and 361 are physical presences in Illinois. As I noted above, the Quill case did no good in Illinois.

What this affects is stuff like independent  merchants on the Amazon marketplace (such as when I  got a battery ordered on amazon.com in an  Ebay envelope). It also affects all the merchandise sold  on TV subchannels that said NJ and Calif. add sales tax.

However, since most major online sellers have local fulfillment facilities, some analysts say this won't generate as much money as thought. 

Pretty much my point as well. Not much changes really, so it doesn't seem like they will get much more money from this decision.