Spring Picks 2015 (March 22nd, 2015)

Juniorz

So, do routes move garages at this time or no? Every route that runs regular artics that isn't a special service (i.e. 192, etc) is on here, except 143 and 148, who don't run artics as much anymore

Not necessarily. Sometimes a pick change brings nothing more than a tweak to route hours and headways or a route extension or reduction if warranted. Of course there are the possible changes in bus fleet assignments among the garages. Garage changes in the actual routes are much more rare in comparison. And I would not read too much in many of the artic routes being on the list. The artic routes have been on pick change lists for adjustments in schedule many times prior to this without it meaning there was a change coming in that route's assigned garage or the buses used for that route.

Wow ridership is going to plummet on that day as everyone's going to wonder where the buses are. Talk about a confusing jumble. At least the #85A and #226 are on the same side but they should have kept them together. I wonder where does the #92 go when ART starts?

Wow ridership is going to plummet on that day as everyone's going to wonder where the buses are. Talk about a confusing jumble. At least the #85A and #226 are on the same side but they should have kept them together. I wonder where does the #92 go when ART starts?

Not without proper wayfinding, especially if Pace is letting their customers know NOW

Not without proper wayfinding, especially if Pace is letting their customers know NOW

And to add to MetroShadow's point, it's not like Jefferson Park is all that huge that it takes rocket science to get if the buses aren't on one side of the terminal then try checking the other side for them before hitting the panic button that the buses aren't there. Yes I'm giving passengers the benefit of the doubt that they know how to think logically.

And to add to MetroShadow's point, it's not like Jefferson Park is all that huge that it takes rocket science to get if the buses aren't on one side of the terminal then try checking the other side for them before hitting the panic button that the buses aren't there. Yes I'm giving passengers the benefit of the doubt that they know how to think logically.

I was just thinking by the way they changed some of the routes, if you were not really paying attention or you were an immigrant that doesn't read or speak good english you are going to get lost. Check this out, the old #81W bay does not go west but east but is still numbered the #81, just missing the W. I think the #81W does the opposite if it's in the third bay it's going west not east. The North Central pulls up to the sb Central's bay with a bus that only has one difference the "A" Probably the passengers are going to drive the operators nutty with all their confusing questions when they get lost and there is no emergency transfer once you paid your fare, it's paid. A good week to work south of that mess!! :lol:

I was just thinking by the way they changed some of the routes, if you were not really paying attention or you were an immigrant that doesn't read or speak good english you are going to get lost. Check this out, the old #81W bay does not go west but east but is still numbered the #81, just missing the W. I think the #81W does the opposite if it's in the third bay it's going west not east. The North Central pulls up to the sb Central's bay with a bus that only has one difference the "A" Probably the passengers are going to drive the operators nutty with all their confusing questions when they get lost and there is no emergency transfer once you paid your fare, it's paid. A good week to work south of that mess!! :lol:

If that's the case, the person is either going to have to hail a cab driven by one of their countrymen, or find the Gale Street Inn and have some drinks. If someone is so illiterate so as to not figure out "81W" or Mr. CTA saying "Route 81W to Cumberland Blue Line" what do you expect them to do, pitch a tent in the middle of the walkway until going back downtown the next day?

Relevant to this topic, the CTA Alert for the Jefferson Park new boarding positions is up.

aiyiyi, I was at Jeff Pk tonight and guess what they did? They changed the overhead signs to reflect what bus goes to what bay, but they never changed any of the bus stop signs. (Doh!!) All the public information signs are still in the pre March 22nd bus slots, so the #270 is stopping at an #88 sign. My bus was coming a SB Central, so I was waiting at the shelter and from that vantage point you cannot see where the bus is going. I had to zigzag out to look at the overhead signs to see where to go. So if your at Jeff Pk and see a bunch of people zigzagging like they are drunk, don't say I didn't warn you. :P I took some pictures. I don't know if they came out maybe I'll upload them in a few minutes. My driver on the #85 had to call over some guys who were waiting for a #85A, they would be waiting until tomorrow over there. :lol:

I was expecting to see some fold up signs like they use for bus shuttles to direct the confused but there is nothing here. This is going to really be something tomorrow.

Ok I left these high res, so you can see more of the image.

post-304-0-64565400-1427078998_thumb.png

post-304-0-38338000-1427079022_thumb.png

post-304-0-45282300-1427079046_thumb.png

aiyiyi, I was at Jeff Pk tonight and guess what they did? They changed the overhead signs to reflect what bus goes to what bay, but they never changed any of the bus stop signs. (Doh!!) All the public information signs are still in the pre March 22nd bus slots, so the #270 is stopping at an #88 sign. My bus was coming a SB Central, so I was waiting at the shelter and from that vantage point you cannot see where the bus is going. I had to zigzag out to look at the overhead signs to see where to go. So if your at Jeff Pk and see a bunch of people zigzagging like they are drunk, don't say I didn't warn you. :P I took some pictures. I don't know if they came out maybe I'll upload them in a few minutes. My driver on the #85 had to call over some guys who were waiting for a #85A, they would be waiting until tomorrow over there. :lol:

I was expecting to see some fold up signs like they use for bus shuttles to direct the confused but there is nothing here. This is going to really be something tomorrow.

Ok I left these high res, so you can see more of the image.

attachicon.gifjeff pk north terminal realignment first day.png

attachicon.gifjeff pk south terminal bus realignment.png

attachicon.gifwhen a 68 is not a 68.png

Nice Axess! Good pics!

I got to see what the #270's are doing for an extended layover at Jeff Pk today. I saw one tonight, (#6422) facing south in the lane that they park the extended layover CTA buses in over by the ex sb #85 bay. Question is then what does the CTA buses do for extended layovers? They do have a double lane there, as there is no bus serving the ex sb #85 bay. I suppose they could use both lanes to park buses. :huh:

I got to see what the #270's are doing for an extended layover at Jeff Pk today. I saw one tonight, (#6422) facing south in the lane that they park the extended layover CTA buses in over by the ex sb #85 bay. Question is then what does the CTA buses do for extended layovers? They do have a double lane there, as there is no bus serving the ex sb #85 bay. I suppose they could use both lanes to park buses. :huh:

What they are up to is not "extended layover". After the AM rush, a couple of buses that are supposed to pull in are parked at JP instead so they can be used to swap out any defectives or have a driver leave on time when the run he is to relive is late getting there. Then that bus takes the spot until it is needed. As for defectives, a pull-in is told to leave their bus and take the bad one in instead. In addition, the one in the south terminal in the corner by the L entrance is the "driver's room" (which is now becoming a problem with 81, 91, 56 occupying the first three spots, it gets a bit crowded in that corner!)

• 2 weeks later...