Purple Line Express Subway Run

briman94

(or the Peanut Butter Jelly Special as Garmon calls it)

As I'm sure we're all aware, the Purple Line express will be making exactly one run through the State Street Subway tomorrow today (Friday, 6/5/2015), running from Fullerton to North/Clybourn and proceeding all the way to Roosevelt before turning around and making the trip in reverse. A few of us are planning on taking pictures at Harrison and Lake. I figured it'd be a good idea to post a thread where we can talk about where we'll be taking photos and to share the photos after the event.

Some things to look out for are firstly any Purple Line sign in the subway. That might never happen again in our lifetimes, unless the Evanston Express Extended continues beyond the pilot and they do a weeknight reroute of the elevated lines through the subway! Something else to look for would be the southbound Purple Line trains possibly using a red sign with "Roosevelt" on it. I don't believe that's been used on the 5000s yet, or at least not often. Bonus points if you manage to catch 3379-3380 with that sign as well.

And, even more bonus points if you manage to get a picture of both the Brown and Purple lines together in one shot!

I'll be working until 4pm and I'll stay downtown until probably 15 minutes before the run at which point I'll go to Jackson and take a northbound to Lake. I'll probably be taking pictures just south of Lake. If somebody could get pictures at Harrison, that'd also be awesome because of how well lit that station is now.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 2

(or the Peanut Butter Jelly Special as Garmon calls it)

As I'm sure we're all aware, the Purple Line express will be making exactly one run through the State Street Subway tomorrow today (Friday, 6/5/2015), running from Fullerton to North/Clybourn and proceeding all the way to Roosevelt before turning around and making the trip in reverse. A few of us are planning on taking pictures at Harrison and Lake. I figured it'd be a good idea to post a thread where we can talk about where we'll be taking photos and to share the photos after the event.

Some things to look out for are firstly any Purple Line sign in the subway. That might never happen again in our lifetimes, unless the Evanston Express Extended continues beyond the pilot and they do a weeknight reroute of the elevated lines through the subway! Something else to look for would be the southbound Purple Line trains possibly using a red sign with "Roosevelt" on it. I don't believe that's been used on the 5000s yet, or at least not often. Bonus points if you manage to catch 3379-3380 with that sign as well.

And, even more bonus points if you manage to get a picture of both the Brown and Purple lines together in one shot!

I'll be working until 4pm and I'll stay downtown until probably 15 minutes before the run at which point I'll go to Jackson and take a northbound to Lake. I'll probably be taking pictures just south of Lake. If somebody could get pictures at Harrison, that'd also be awesome because of how well lit that station is now.

I haven't seen the run in person but i can tell you from experience that the 5000's have used a Red "Roosevelt" sign for the couple runs that short turned there during the Dan Ryan rebuild. 5000s were used exclusively for those runs because the 2600's didnthave a Roosevelt reading for their roller curtains. However there are 3200's that have the Roosevelt sign and they get switched around for times where the Brown Line has been sent through the subway. Also believe it or not the 5000's had a green Roosevelt sign for the AM rush hour runs that short turned at Roosevelt to make room for the Red Line running to Ashland/63rd

It was a success! I took Purple Line Run 521 from Harrison to Roosevelt - something I never thought I'd ever do. Almost got a picture of a red "Roosevelt" LED sign on 3379-3380 but my camera crashed right as I was taking the picture, of course...

Anyways, here's a massive photo dump. I took multiples of some of the pictures at different exposures using HDR+, which got a super clear shot of the LED signs and then I combined them in Photoshop to even out the brightness even more.

Waiting for the train...

Harrison_Panorama.thumb.jpg.8d161f72f9da

Approaching Harrison with a Brown Line to Kimball on the other track...

Purple_Brown_Roosevelt.thumb.jpg.d0caf75

Here you can see the Brown Line from inside the Purple Line....at Harrison?!

Purple_Brown_Roosevelt_Inside.thumb.jpg.

Here it is after finishing its run at Roosevelt.

5433_Purple_Loop_Roosevelt.thumb.jpg.545

And I managed to get 3379-3380 on their way back through with a Kimball sign at Roosevelt, so at least I got picture of them!

3379_Kimball_Roosevelt.thumb.jpg.0b96489

I got to meet juniorz at Roosevelt too!

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 3

I haven't seen the run in person but i can tell you from experience that the 5000's have used a Red "Roosevelt" sign for the couple runs that short turned there during the Dan Ryan rebuild. 5000s were used exclusively for those runs because the 2600's didnthave a Roosevelt reading for their roller curtains. However there are 3200's that have the Roosevelt sign and they get switched around for times where the Brown Line has been sent through the subway. Also believe it or not the 5000's had a green Roosevelt sign for the AM rush hour runs that short turned at Roosevelt to make room for the Red Line running to Ashland/63rd

​I've actually seen the Green "Roosevelt" sign before, as well as a Green "Loop" sign.

Nice photos briman94! 

​I've actually seen the Green "Roosevelt" sign before, as well as a Green "Loop" sign.

​As have I, and I have been on a Green Line Loop train during the Harrison Curve reconstruction back in the early 2000s. Boy did I enjoy the extra Harlem bound trains when I was going home from UIC during the Red Line South reconstruction!

I haven't seen the run in person but i can tell you from experience that the 5000's have used a Red "Roosevelt" sign for the couple runs that short turned there during the Dan Ryan rebuild. 5000s were used exclusively for those runs because the 2600's didnthave a Roosevelt reading for their roller curtains.

​At least they used to, but that might have been a couple of rolls back. It depends what was put on 900 rolls procured when the Red 63/Ashland signs were added,

​At least they used to, but that might have been a couple of rolls back. It depends what was put on 900 rolls procured when the Red 63/Ashland signs were added,

I think last time I seen that was around the time they still had Ford City on the curtains

So for those of who are unaware. o.O:P why did they do this?

​Ooh, pick me! Pick me!

The CTA has been closing the Ravenswood Connector each weekend since April 10th so that they can rehab the track between Armitage and Merchandise Mart. This will continue through the fall, except on weekends when there is a big event happening in the city such as Lollapalooza. The CTA also just launched a pilot program to run an extra late-night Purple Line Express train during weekdays. It arrives downtown after 8pm...meaning after the Ravenswood Connector is closed. This weekend is the only weekend where the late-night run will line up with a closure of the Connector, meaning they had to run the Purple Line through the subway: something that has never been done before in CTA history (to my knowledge)

• Upvote 2

​Ooh, pick me! Pick me!

The CTA has been closing the Ravenswood Connector each weekend since April 10th so that they can rehab the track between Armitage and Merchandise Mart. This will continue through the fall, except on weekends when there is a big event happening in the city such as Lollapalooza. The CTA also just launched a pilot program to run an extra late-night Purple Line Express train during weekdays. It arrives downtown after 8pm...meaning after the Ravenswood Connector is closed. This weekend is the only weekend where the late-night run will line up with a closure of the Connector, meaning they had to run the Purple Line through the subway: something that has never been done before in CTA history (to my knowledge)

​You figured this out all on your own!! o.O You're as bad as me with the rehab buses!! :P But why would this be the only weekend that this is happening? There is going to be no more Ravenswood Connector closures? They are always doing some type of construction. I'd be surprised if this never happens again.

• Upvote 1

​Ooh, pick me! Pick me!

The CTA has been closing the Ravenswood Connector each weekend since April 10th so that they can rehab the track between Armitage and Merchandise Mart. This will continue through the fall, except on weekends when there is a big event happening in the city such as Lollapalooza. The CTA also just launched a pilot program to run an extra late-night Purple Line Express train during weekdays. It arrives downtown after 8pm...meaning after the Ravenswood Connector is closed. ...

​But until 30 minutes ago, you didn't say which run:o:/-_-.

The reroute probably also messes up the passenger count.

This is our Purple Line Express pilot train Run 521 Linden-bound at Jackson. This is the only time during the pilot that the Purple Line Express will be rerouted to the Subway. 

During the Two Wells Street Bridge closure's in 2013, all Purple Line Express service was annulled. 

IMG_4680.JPG

Edited by Juniorz
  • Upvote 1

I want to say that back in January when there was a bunch of switching issues in the Loop, Purple Line rerouted into the subway during the morning rush.

EDIT: Yup, not going crazy this time: https://twitter.com/cta/status/559719589714878464 "Also, Orange Line trains are rerouted via the Outer Loop (Brown Line) side and Purple Line Express trains operate via Red Line subway."

Edited by verive.m

I want to say that back in January when there was a bunch of switching issues in the Loop, Purple Line rerouted into the subway during the morning rush.

EDIT: Yup, not going crazy this time: https://twitter.com/cta/status/559719589714878464 "Also, Orange Line trains are rerouted via the Outer Loop (Brown Line) side and Purple Line Express trains operate via Red Line subway."

​Interesting, I don't remember that! I sure wasn't prepared to take pictures that day :P

What if I told you all that I've spotted a Purple Line train on the wrong tracks. It may sound crazy but this literally happened in 1997 (yes, I won't forget that day because I got in trouble (long story) xD). I was with my mom, step-dad, and my siblings on the Orange Line heading back to Clark/Lake to transfer to the Green Line but all of a sudden, before our train made the left turn towards Harold Washington Library, I've spotted a 6-car Purple Line train on the southbound tracks the leads to Roosevelt. I'm questioning myself figuring out how the hell that happened! It had to be the switchmen fault. Otherwise, it would've made the right turn at the junction. So therefore guys, going through the subway isn't the only time that the Purple Line made an irregular journey! xD:P

Edited by garmon757
  • Upvote 1

While it doesn't happen often, the Purple Line has found its way into the subway on occasion in the past.  There has to be something major preventing trains from entering/going around the loop in the middle of rush hour (but without enough advance notice for them to just cut the Purple Line at Howard and run it only as a shuttle, so some expresses would already be on their way).

I want to say it happened a few years ago, but off the top of my head I can't remember.

• Upvote 1

What if I told you all that I've spotted a Purple Line train on the wrong tracks. It may sound crazy but this literally happened in 1997 (yes, I won't forget that day because I got in trouble (long story) xD). I was with my mom, step-dad, and my siblings on the Orange Line heading back to Clark/Lake to transfer to the Green Line but all of a sudden, before our train made the left turn towards Harold Washington Library, I've spotted a 6-car Purple Line train on the southbound tracks the leads to Roosevelt. I'm questioning myself figuring out how the hell that happened! It had to be the switchmen fault. Otherwise, it would've made the right turn at the junction. So therefore guys, going through the subway isn't the only time that the Purple Line made an irregular journey! xD:P

​Wow...and the driver didn't see that the signal or the track itself was wrong?!