Proposed New Train Tracker

sw4400

Saw this news article and thought I'd check it out.... I like the layout of the tracker this gentleman proposes.... what do you all think? Do you think the CTA should look into this new Train Tracker program and will it work out in the long run?

The guy seems consumed with what is essentially a display question. My impression is that the data are already there and is displayed.  The web version certainly demonstrates that. IMO, if you are on the platform, all you need is the next train for each line. It doesn't even look like he differentiates by color between Cottage Grove and Ashland-63, which to me would seem more important.

train tracker.jpg

train tracker 1.jpg

I really like his idea. I understand the issue completely; especially when I used to get on at Armitage, sometimes I couldn't see the right direction when I was tapping in so I didn't know whether I should take a train to the Loop or go north to Fullerton and transfer to the red line there. His idea makes a lot of sense and is actually quite intuitive. It's also interesting that he got feedback from DePaul's HCI group, as I have a friend from school studying with the group.

I really like his idea. I understand the issue completely; especially when I used to get on at Armitage, sometimes I couldn't see the right direction when I was tapping in so I didn't know whether I should take a train to the Loop or go north to Fullerton and transfer to the red line there. His idea makes a lot of sense and is actually quite intuitive. It's also interesting that he got feedback from DePaul's HCI group, as I have a friend from school studying with the group.

In that all the references are "Improved digital signage" I don't think he is referring to what you are referring, unless you are relying on a sign in the fare collection area instead of on the platform, and still that would have nothing to do with "tapping."

The BusTracker api is out there, and while I don't know if the TrainTracker one is, clearly any developer can develop any app with the api.

Edited by Busjack

While I think the UI/UX intent is there, it's not necessarily clear when it comes to *which* platform and *what* trains are available (i.e. "Kimball" or "Midway" platforms could be utilized as "Outer Loop" and "Inner Loop.")

The sample I posted from the website, above, makes that distinction.

In that all the references are "Improved digital signage" I don't think he is referring to what you are referring, unless you are relying on a sign in the fare collection area instead of on the platform, and still that would have nothing to do with "tapping."

The BusTracker api is out there, and while I don't know if the TrainTracker one is, clearly any developer can develop any app with the api.

I mean the screens like the ones hanging in the fare collection area at Armitage; the ones in the video on the page. When I go through and tap my Ventra card, I never have the time to wait for it to cycle through all the destinations, so his solution would be really nice.

If it AIN'T broken, don't fix it. The developer's version is actually more complicated than the one CTA currently displays. Could the CTA version use a little tweaking, sure, but overall it's a straightforward appoarch that works.

Sorry developer, but on this issue, it's a resounding NO (also the developer didn't even get the color palette's right for this experiment and the CTA allows the public and DELEVOPERS to use their specify color palette's LEGALLY!)

I like his idea of improving the rectangular Train Tracker signs, but I have a feeling he has a ways to go.

I'm not sure why the guy is placing inner and outer loop platform trains on the same screen. If the Loop stations have separate rectangular signs on each platform, why not just have them display destinations of trains that will actually stop at the platforms? I know there are physical signs that say which train stops at which platform, but if you're a tourist who's just going off of the signs, you could get confused. And Busjack does have a good point: the Green Line doesn't have different colors.

I'm also concerned that while he's showing more information, it could just be too much info at his current setup.

If it AIN'T broken, don't fix it...

The 5000s aren't broken, but they need to be improved too.

...The developer's version is actually more complicated than the one CTA currently displays. Could the CTA version use a little tweaking, sure, but overall it's a straightforward appoarch that works...

That doesn't mean that the developer can't change it. Also, if the CTA version could use a little tweaking, why can't this developer save the CTA some time and try making it better himself?

...Sorry developer, but on this issue, it's a resounding NO...

Only that it isn't a resounding no. Briman94 has said that he likes where this project could go, and quite honestly if the developer keeps working on improving his project and doesn't slack off, I will like it too. I'm just a little concerned about the current project state, that's all.

I mean the screens like the ones hanging in the fare collection area at Armitage; the ones in the video on the page. When I go through and tap my Ventra card, I never have the time to wait for it to cycle through all the destinations, so his solution would be really nice.

I honestly didn't even look at those signs when I was paying. My train could already be arriving at the platform, and I'm definitely not waiting for the next one over a sign...

I like his idea of improving the rectangular Train Tracker signs, but I have a feeling he has a ways to go.

I'm not sure why the guy is placing inner and outer loop platform trains on the same screen. If the Loop stations have separate rectangular signs on each platform, why not just have them display destinations of trains that will actually stop at the platforms? I know there are physical signs that say which train stops at which platform, but if you're a tourist who's just going off of the signs, you could get confused. And Busjack does have a good point: the Green Line doesn't have different colors.

I'm also concerned that while he's showing more information, it could just be too much info at his current setup.

The 5000s aren't broken, but they need to be improved too.

That doesn't mean that the developer can't change it. Also, if the CTA version could use a little tweaking, why can't this developer save the CTA some time and try making it better himself?

Only that it isn't a resounding no. Briman94 has said that he likes where this project could go, and quite honestly if the developer keeps working on improving his project and doesn't slack off, I will like it too. I'm just a little concerned about the current project state, that's all.

I honestly didn't even look at those signs when I was paying. My train could already be arriving at the platform, and I'm definitely not waiting for the next one over a sign...

Well, specifically when I was getting on at Armitage before I moved, I would either take the Brown Line north to Fullerton and the Red Line south, or I would just take the Brown Line south, depending on which was arriving first. Being able to see both directions at once plus followers would be nice.

If it AIN'T broken, don't fix it. The developer's version is actually more complicated than the one CTA currently displays. Could the CTA version use a little tweaking, sure, but overall it's a straightforward appoarch that works.

Sorry developer, but on this issue, it's a resounding NO (also the developer didn't even get the color palette's right for this experiment and the CTA allows the public and DELEVOPERS to use their specify color palette's LEGALLY!)

On this one I tend to agree with Juniorz that information overload may be a bad thing.

Reminds me of a complaint I lodged with McDonald's last week that their video menu board transitions so quickly that if you want something other than the 12 standard combos, it flashes by so quickly that you have to stand there until it comes back. In this case it was for the 3 Sirloin Burgers, and when I figured out which one I wanted, they didn't have any. I got an autotext response to the complaint, so I guess we know where the CTA Customer Service reps of 10 years ago are now working.B| There was something similar at a former Polish crepe place in Golf Mill, and there the counter attendant had to wait for the price of whatever I ordered to show up.

...Reminds me of a complaint I lodged with McDonald's last week that their video menu board transitions so quickly that if you want something other than the 12 standard combos, it flashes by so quickly that you have to stand there until it comes back. In this case it was for the 3 Sirloin Burgers, and when I figured out which one I wanted, they didn't have any...

Yeah, you and I both are not into the quick info method that seems to be populating screens nowadays. Just let us read what we want...

...I got an autotext response to the complaint, so I guess we know where the CTA Customer Service reps of 10 years ago are now working.B| ...

You found them!

• 5 months later...

Holy cow, they are actually hooking up the train tracker screens on the platforms that have been sitting on the Orange and Blue lines for two years!! I thought I was trippin' when I saw that Halsted and Ashland on the Orange line has working screens on the platform. Then today I see Montrose and Irving Pk Blue line has working signs on the platform too. Wowee!! xD