Yellow Line Reopening

garmon757

2490 got a bit tired and had to be retired early :( It kept acting like it had hit a track trip, and eventually the driver had to keep it in ATC bypass to get it to move at all. It didn't make another run once it got back to Howard after that... 5519-5520 came in and took its place.

Now, 5714 is a different story:

oZcxUqy.jpg

Given that this was the first time it was ever used, I doubt it was mechanical problems that required bypass...I'm not sure why R6.4 wasn't sufficient for travelling through the station.

Edited by briman94
  • Upvote 2

2490 got a bit tired and had to be retired early :( It kept acting like it had hit a track trip, and eventually the driver had to keep it in ATC bypass to get it to move at all. It didn't make another run once it got back to Howard after that... 5519-5520 came in and took its place.

u0h7XaO.jpg

Given that this was the first time it was ever used, I doubt it was mechanical problems that required bypass...I'm not sure why R6.4 wasn't sufficient for travelling through the station.

Makes one wonder how much the schedule was disrupted by the festivities and maybe foreseeable equipment problems, if someone was actually trying to use the Yellow Line to get to work.

u0h7XaO.jpg

The image is missing, but I gather 5713-14 was the set I saw at Skokie shops?

The image is missing, but I gather 5713-14 was the set I saw at Skokie shops?

Fixed the image. I think 5713-14 were held at Skokie Shops until it reopened, so that's probably what you saw there.

Speaking of the shops, I think I saw a couple of 3200s with LED signs sitting at the shops...maybe it's the first set being fully rehabbed?

Fixed the image. I think 5713-14 were held at Skokie Shops until it reopened, so that's probably what you saw there.

Speaking of the shops, I think I saw a couple of 3200s with LED signs sitting at the shops...maybe it's the first set being fully rehabbed?

Actually I saw them at the shops after the ceremony, at about 8:15. It had to have been 5713-14 because the other 5000s on the line today didn't have the "Welcome back" signs in the front window. Also, the picture of them at Howard with "Not in Service" signs was taken before the ceremony at about 7:15. They waited in Howard yard until they were ready for the ceremonial trip.

• Upvote 2

Makes one wonder how much the schedule was disrupted by the festivities and maybe foreseeable equipment problems, if someone was actually trying to use the Yellow Line to get to work.

While the ceremonial trip was boarding, they announced "This is a private charter - a train to Howard will be arriving shortly", but some people decided to get on anyway. Imagine their surprise when the train turned around at Howard without stopping!

Actually I saw them at the shops after the ceremony, at about 8:15. It had to have been 5713-14 because the other 5000s on the line today didn't have the "Welcome back" signs in the front window. Also, the picture of them at Howard with "Not in Service" signs was taken before the ceremony at about 7:15. They waited in Howard yard until they were ready for the ceremonial trip.

I saw a Brown Line turning north at Lake/Wells today about 10:40 AM, with at least the last 4 cars having LED signs. All were 3400s, but I didn't get the specific numbers.

I missed the ceremony this morning. I took a gamble that the #2400's would stay out for the morning shift but I guess not. So i took a quick tour of the embankment, skokie shops and a ride on #5713-14 which had just pulled out of Howard yard for it's first pm trip ever. (this was around 1:45PM) Wow did you guys see how big the embankment is now, it's like twice the regular size in width. Skokie Shops seems full of #2600's, but I did see something strange. A #2200 married pair by the shop doors!! Did they move the locker room cars at 61st cause that's the only set of #2200's left on CTA property? Other than that seems like the same old stuff. Skokie had warning signs on all the crossings warning people of the crossings now in use. Ridership was very light and the parking lot was lucky if it was half full. I snapped two pictures of #5713-14 below.

cta_5713-14_the_whole_married_pair.thumb

cta_5714_first_day_in_service.thumb.PNG.

I was noticing also on my Purple line express ride yesterday, ridership is low there too. I guess there's only so many slow zones riders can stand. My train was late and it still had seats at Belmont NB. I've been noticing the embankment north of lawrence has been getting better and I was mostly wanting to check out the slow zones. Up to Granville wasn't bad, they must be at 35 mph slow zone now. We gained 4 minutes on the red line but the rest was 15 mph slow zones still and the red line caught back up. Probably everyone else is seeing that the purple line is no faster than the red and most of the ridership is for points north of howard. If they can get the tracks back to 55 mph, they might actually be able to gain 15-20 minutes on a red line. That would be a major accomplishment.

I saw also they renewed the yellow line elevated structure over McCormick (ties and plates and maybe track) so they doubled up on some projects. That's smart. They are doing the same on the elevated structure (track 1) south of Wilson on the red and it's starting to look real good. The only big section missing is at Sheridan station itself and part of the south to east turn just south of Irving Pk. They must have been doing some metalwork over there today there was smoke coming from the rails.

Edited by BusHunter
  • Upvote 5

They must of took off all the ceremonial decals! Hopefully, they will be in revenue service during the weekend, would like to get them in regular service form. Also, if the 2200s had graffiti on them, then yes they were from the 61st yard! Wonder what they will do with those?

Edited by Juniorz

Some fantastic shots from this special event and once in a lifetime moment for me!

image.jpeg

Damn at first I thought that was Captain Cupcake behind you or King Ding Dong. I was like aw man!! xDBut it was just the Dunkin' Man. 9_9 It would have been cool if they had a Skokie Swift mascot up there like LE Jack or Hodar. They could have called him Mr Swift and put on a racy costume to symbolize his swiftness. :P BTW, if you are lost and you don't know who Captain Cupcake is let me enlighten you!!

http://erikagardner.com/2012/01/17/a-world-without-twinkies/

• Upvote 1

Damn at first I thought that was Captain Cupcake behind you or King Ding Dong. I was like aw man!! xDBut it was just the Dunkin' Man. 9_9 It would have been cool if they had a Skokie Swift mascot up there like LE Jack or Hodar. They could have called him Mr Swift and put on a racy costume to symbolize his swiftness. :P BTW, if you are lost and you don't know who Captain Cupcake is let me enlighten you!!

http://erikagardner.com/2012/01/17/a-world-without-twinkies/

Now that would be pure genius!!! xD

• Kevin unpinned this topic