Spring Pick 2017

renardo870

Rumor has it that effective 4/2/17, 98th St Yard will temporarily close due to construction of the 95th St Station and Red South equipment will be stored at 63rd/Ashland Yard and restore some Red trains via Green from Howard  to 63rd/Ashland as well as to 95th St. Certain weekend closures of 95th with trains and buses going to 87th St. Could anyone shed some light into this?

• Upvote 6

32 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So these are in service not running light?

Good question. as @renardo870 only indicated that access to the yard or past 87th was blocked, not that the whole Dan Ryan segment would be closed as it was a couple of years ago, although he also mentioned restoring some Red Line-Ashland trips. I bet not many..

Plus you would have to wonder about the storage capabilities. Does the green line have the storage capacity to coexist with the red line in the same yard. Will they possibly share fleets and if not how will the green line be able to store all its equipment in harlem yard? Harlem yard only has the storage capacity of 100.

6 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Plus you would have to wonder about the storage capabilities. Does the green line have the storage capacity to coexist with the red line in the same yard. Will they possibly share fleets and if not how will the green line be able to store all its equipment in harlem yard? Harlem yard only has the storage capacity of 100.

There's always 61st yard, if space is an issue, even if it administratively run out of some other yard. I doubt that all of the 98th Yard staff is going to be furloughed.

13 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Think that question was answered in 2013 with the reconstruction project, hence making the storage issue nonexistent 

2 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Headed for Ashland/63rd with RED ROLLSIGNS. Photo location: 59th Interlocking on Alley "L". Added details: Monday through Friday rush hours only, starting in April. More details coming, "film at 22:00."

P1120017.JPG

Which brings up the question of signage for the Ashland trips.   They could use the Green Line signage or they could make signage with red lettering on a White background.   I don't think using the red Ashland/63 signage is a good idea. 

Also,  is it possible that all 800 runs will run to 95th with all of the 900 runs starting and ending at Ashland with any middle trips going from Howard to 95th? 

31 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Which brings up the question of signage for the Ashland trips.   They could use the Green Line signage or they could make signage with red lettering on a White background.   I don't think using the red Ashland/63 signage is a good idea. 

Since (despite what someone said) they are programmable they can be whatever is programmed, but since last time they were white on a red background,* I wouldn't assume anything else, except maybe because the 63rds may be only yard trips. Clearly Howard=63rd signs were not green the last time.

*Certainly not an issue this time that some of the cars were 2600s and needed new roll signs.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Probably if using passengers they would need to change the signs or they'll have to add red line signs at all the south side stops.

Except King and Cottage Grave

The question is how this change affects South Side Green Line service?   Will some Green Line trains from Harlem end at Roosevelt or circle the Loop with thru trips only going to Cottage Grove?  EVEN with continued Red Line to 95th,  would the Red service on the SMS be high enough to warrant a change in regular Green Line service? 

And also you got to wonder how this hurts dan ryan service if some of the trains are going via green line south.

I don't really see the need for so many green lines to Ashland/63rd in the rush. They could do a few loop trains but that hurts the elevated loop ridership as no one will be waiting for the few trains that show up on an opposing track. So that may be a no go!!

Like Juniorz said it will probably be the same as 2013, but I would have to wonder also about slow zones in the Roosevelt junction area of the state street subway. Seems my experience is they stop there waiting on the main (ryan) so there might be a few delays. Dont know if they have a tower there or not. But it might be happening if this indeed happens. 

34 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

And also you got to wonder how this hurts dan ryan service if some of the trains are going via green line south.

I don't really see the need for so many green lines to Ashland/63rd in the rush. They could do a few loop trains but that hurts the elevated loop ridership as no one will be waiting for the few trains that show up on an opposing track. So that may be a no go!!

Like Juniorz said it will probably be the same as 2013, but I would have to wonder also about slow zones in the Roosevelt junction area of the state street subway. Seems my experience is they stop there waiting on the main (ryan) so there might be a few delays. Dont know if they have a tower there or not. But it might be happening if this indeed happens. 

Like a stated earlier,  I really only imagine the 900 runs starting and ending at Ashland.   If some of those  .  Runs are split shifts, those would be those rush trips.   Any full runs would probably have one 95th trip in the middle.   I think that all of the 800 runs will go to 95th.   I don't imagine Red South being severely impacted. 

Because.Red south trains will invade Green Line South territory with a higher frequency during rush hour,  CTA may opt for restricting Green Line service on the SSM, particularly to 63rd and Ashland. 

Now no one said how long 98th Yard would be closed.   It's possible that they could run all weekend service out of Howard Yard but more than likely not. 

Based on David Harrison"s post,  this is only during rush periods Monday through Friday. 

Knowing how cta likes to do things out of the ordinary, they will probably split the run numbers similarly to what they did with the Green Line back in 1994.  The 900s will still be on the south end, but they'll split them with the lower 900s based out of 95th and 950s and higher based out of Ashland/63.  As far as yard space goes, they'll probably run a total of 8 to 14 rush hour Red Line runs to Ashland/63 with a little more than half of those getting laid up.  So, you're talking roughly 100 cars- give or take a few.  Howard yard holds around 200 Red Line cars.  Occasionally, they still send 8 to 16 cars to Linden for nightly cleaning.  Plus, I have a feeling they will lay up 8 to 16 cars on the Red Line South on the 63rd Street middle track. 

3 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Why do you think there will be weekend shuttle buses between 87th and 95th. The next phase of construction will not hamper weekend service levels. Weekend Red line schedules can be handled with one yard track. The rumor that 98th St. yard would be closed is false. The next phase hampered  the weekday service because of only one yard track access. 

DH

The initial poster said that "Certain weekend closures of 95th with trains and buses running to 87th."  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Here are the run by numbers...

AM SB 820, 821, 918, 919, 808, 824, 825, 920, 810, 826, 811, 914, 813, 814.

AM NB 820, (821, 918DH), 919, 808DH, 824, 825, (920, 810DH), 826, 811DH, 914, (813, 814DH),

PM SB 812, (916, 917DH), 815, 922DH,  817, (924, 816DH), 818, 925DH, 819, 820DH, 821, 822DH.

PM NB 916, 917, 912, 922, 815, 924, 816, 817, 925, 818, 820, 819, 822, 921.

DH

Times?

5 hours ago, chicagopcclcar said:

Sorry, those details were not correct. I don't know the source of that. I've tried to post factual details. 98th St. yard will remain open 24 hrs. All Red line trains inservice to 95th St. will operate all the way to the terminal at 95th. Fourteen trips will be diverted to Ashland/63. This happens only on the rush hours, Monday through Friday. Lay-up Red line trains at Ashland/63  will only happen during the mid-day. No Red line trains will be yarded overnight. April 03, 2017 is the date. I like calling this 2017 Englewood "A"....destination Ashland/63rd. I admit, in the months coming,  weekend curtailments might happen, but that would not be from the single yard track....construction would need the trains out of the way. 

DH

100_0683.JPG

Thanks for the clarification. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...