MRChiCity

PACE supervisors

7 posts in this topic

Good afternoon, 

I have never seen a road supervisor with PACE expect once at Davis street. I always see road supervisors with the CTA and the occasional trainmaster/supervisors with Metra and Union Pacific out in the field. How come you almost never see PACE division supervisors out in the field? Thanks 

3 hours ago, MRChiCity said:

Good afternoon, 

I have never seen a road supervisor with PACE expect once at Davis street. I always see road supervisors with the CTA and the occasional trainmaster/supervisors with Metra and Union Pacific out in the field. How come you almost never see PACE division supervisors out in the field? Thanks 

Each division has a Safety Supervisor and staff who make an appearance usually at a restructuring (such as staff at Golf Mill when there was the Niles Free Bus f-up) to give out schedules to potential passengers and see if things are working.

I suppose you could go to downtown Des Plaines and see if there is a supervisor in the middle of the flooding.

However, in general, why would Pace need street supervisors? The buses generally on half hour or hourly headways, and if they go off schedule, the TransitMaster reports it, and they have ITTF radios. Someone on the street isn't going to do anything to restore service.

For that matter, why should CTA still have street supervisors if the Clever Devices Computer Aided Dispatch is working as represented? May be an anachronism.

Or in the Waukegan/Gurnee area which also got hit hard.  Also I have noticed that PACE operators call in to the division when ever they come across a unexpected road closer and they tend to get instructions right away. While on the subject how this be handled for contract operated routes? I think the PACE talk groups on STARCOM21 are only for the operated divisions.  Unless the contractors have there own radio systems? 

16 minutes ago, MRChiCity said:

I think the PACE talk groups on STARCOM21 are only for the operated divisions.

Wrong. They are on all Pace fixed route buses. Someone published a list of ids (current one is here; although not completely accurate), and the first 2 divisions converted were Fox Valley and Naperville. Again, if they were not connected, Pace could not swap buses (such as from First Student to Fox Valley), nor would contractor routes show up on WebWatch.

There appears to be a different radio system on paratransit vehicles, which may explain why routes such as 511, 611, 668 and 669 don't show up on WebWatch, and why Pace keeps saying it has to centralize paratransit dispatch. However, he unknowingly has some calls that are community vehicles.

52 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Each division has a Safety Supervisor and staff who make an appearance usually at a restructuring (such as staff at Golf Mill when there was the Niles Free Bus f-up) to give out schedules to potential passengers and see if things are working.

I suppose you could go to downtown Des Plaines and see if there is a supervisor in the middle of the flooding.

However, in general, why would Pace need street supervisors? The buses generally on half hour or hourly headways, and if they go off schedule, the TransitMaster reports it, and they have ITTF radios. Someone on the street isn't going to do anything to restore service.

For that matter, why should CTA still have street supervisors if the Clever Devices Computer Aided Dispatch is working as represented? May be an anachronism.

CTA don't have street supervisors any more. (pretty much) What used to be point supervisors now are only at really big transit hubs like Jeff PK or 95th. Gone are the many at Central/Addison or Belmont/Central etc. The computer has eliminated that position basically. All that's left are mobile cars in any great number. That is the street supervisor nowadays.

As far as flooding is concerned, River Grove flooded again as River road is basically a River south of Irving Pk. Schiller Pk has it closed with cops cars sb. This puts all the River Rd traffic on Irving Pk which is basically bumper to bumper River rd to Cumberland eb. (even today, a saturday it was like this) I was on a #326 yesterday when the operator told me he would be turning eb at River Rd and going back to Rosemont blue line. So I walked from River Rd to Cumberland. i was basically able to walk as fast as the traffic (maybe 20 minutes to transverse) Only thing I can be po'ed about besides having to walk, was the fact that with all these computers no information was passed to the rider that this was happening. I could have easily caught a #303 and rode down Irving and walked, I let two of them pass me. The point I'm making is where is all the information at? Imagine the riders east of cumberland when they didn't even see a bus!! I suppose you could say well the webwatch would show you the bus was off route but this was a ghost bus, so it's a double failure.

BTW, FYI, Cumberland is a mess around Irving too so, if you were wondering where your #331 was that's where he was. The river is supposed to go down so maybe Monday will be better. We can only hope!! 9_9

I rode in a Pace supervisor's van once when he told a driver to short turn the bus I was on to get it back on schedule, and I was the only passenger going all the way to the end of the route. Another time he had to come yell at a passenger who wouldn't pay full fare. I believe they also check for passengers waiting at stops that are bypassed due to emergency detours.