What to Do With Surplus Artics

Anthony Devera

20 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

4:00 PM Weekdays artics on routes like 9, 30, 24, 49, 56, 62, 92, 93, 126, 206. the 52 usally gets 1 artic on weekdays  

• PM Rush means 9 and 49 aren't getting any artics.
  • The 30 might get one for a school trip, that's about it.
  • Just because the 56 or 62 might get crowded, doesn't mean it needs artics. 
  • 92, 93 and 126 definitely aren't getting artics on a regular
  • 28 & 52 usually see about 1-3 4000s ever since about 2 & half weeks ago
  • Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

PM Rush means 9 and 49 aren't getting any artics

At least at one time, there were some for Lane Tech.

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

The way it looked on Bus Tracker, the morning one is interlined with 147. There were next stop times for stops in Evanston, and then Devon/Sheridan.

58 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:
  • Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

I think he was saying around 4pm he sees artics on these routes.  He's spotting school runs

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

At least at one time, there were some for Lane Tech.

The way it looked on Bus Tracker, the morning one is interlined with 147. There were next stop times for stops in Evanston, and then Devon/Sheridan.

When I looked at the schedules, I thought the layover time was too short and thought it was 206 - 22 and not 147 - 206 - 147. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

I think he was saying around 4pm he sees artics on these routes.  He's spotting school runs

I totally missed your previous post or else I wouldn't have said anything, my bad

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

It's possible the 49 may use an artic or two for Lane Tech school trips.

The 62 artic trip is operated by K and serves Curie High School. 

The 126 could possibly use artics serving Whitney Young High School. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's possible the 49 may use an artic or two for Lane Tech school trips.

The 62 artic trip is operated by K and serves Curie High School. 

The 126 could possibly use artics serving Whitney Young High School. 

Those are south shops for 126

3 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

They Need To Add Artics On The 68 for school trips from Taft High School

I don't know if  artics would be necessary.   Since the 68 terminates at Jefferson Park,  I think it might be more efficient to have a a tripper that can interline with another route out of Jefferson Park or can deadhead  from Jefferson Park  to one of F's east west routes.   That's  better than deadheading  an artic from P to  Taft to do a tripper to Jefferson Park, then  deadheading on the parking lot called the Kennedy all the way  downtown. 

Yes I have seen the  crush load on the 68 from Taft, but the logistics don't  favor sending an artic there.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if  artics would be necessary.   Since the 68 terminates at Jefferson Park,  I think it might be more efficient to have a a tripper that can interline with another route out of Jefferson Park or can deadhead  from Jefferson Park  to one of F's east west routes.   That's  better than deadheading  an artic from P to  Taft to do a tripper to Jefferson Park, then  deadheading on the parking lot called the Kennedy all the way  downtown. 

Yes I have seen the  crush load on the 68 from Taft, but the logistics don't  favor sending an artic there.

It could go from Taft to Jeff park and then deadhead to probably like Howard red line and start a route or start on the 56 and go downtown and start at union on the 151 or something along those lines

2 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

It could go from Taft to Jeff park and then deadhead to probably like Howard red line and start a route or start on the 56 and go downtown and start at union on the 151 or something along those lines

You could do a lot of things, but it doesn't  mean it makes sense to do it just to cover one school tripper with an artic.  Those school trippers with artics end their routes somewhat close to downtown so it is a short deadhead to start their assigned route.  That wouldn't be the case in your scenario.   You also have to factor in driver hours of pay, fuel, and vehicle utilization.  The artics are primarily for LSD routes.

The only way your scenario works is if the same artic used for your Taft tripper is used on the current artic tripper on the 56, assuming time allows it to be effectively used  on both.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. 

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

They Need To Add Artics On The 68 for school trips from Taft High School

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

You could do a lot of things, but it doesn't  mean it makes sense to do it just to cover one school tripper with an artic.  Those school trippers with artics end their routes somewhat close to downtown so it is a short deadhead to start their assigned route.  That wouldn't be the case in your scenario.   You also have to factor in driver hours of pay, fuel, and vehicle utilization.  The artics are primarily for LSD routes.

The only way your scenario works is if the same artic used for your Taft tripper is used on the current artic tripper on the 56, assuming time allows it to be effectively used  on both.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. 

That's really the key point here. There are 19 (6, 12, J14, 22, 26, 28, 52, 82, 125, 128, 134, 135, 136, 143, 146, 147, 148, 151, 156, 192) regular service routes that use consistently use artics. School trips & special service aside (now 17), 82% of these routes either utilize or closely border LSD. What's left is the 12 (widespread use only on weekends, sees more shoeboxes during weekday rush), 52 & 82 (neither of which get that many artics). I think @Busjack was the one who stated that with 100 extra artics, they are running them someplace and it seems for the most part, that they're on LSD routes.

*Open to corrections, my math might be wrong.

1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think @Busjack was the one who stated that with 100 extra artics, they are running them someplace and it seems for the most part, that they're on LSD routes.

I said that only in the sense of some other commenters said "some bus is better than no bus," such as when an Optima showed up  on a heavy route. Here the opposite, but may be equally inappropriate.

I think  @artthouwill summed it up properly. I don't know if ETHS needs artics (and I'm pretty sure that when Evanston officials told Pace that they wanted fewer buses in town, they didn't mean artics), the only reason they are on 206 is that they interline with 22 and 147 at Howard.

• Upvote 1