Jump to content
Anthony Devera

What to Do With Surplus Artics

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Welp.  4046 is on 39 Pershing for some reason on a sunday

That weekend pilot performed better than expected, eh?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

hopefully we will see more artics on routes there not usually on tomorrow

Just giving it a cursory glance, it seems like the usual players (LSD routes,12, 22, 82, 125, 151, 156)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

4:00 PM Weekdays artics on routes like 9, 30, 24, 49, 56, 62, 92, 93, 126, 206. the 52 usally gets 1 artic on weekdays  

All school runs although you sure you mean 29 instead of 24?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, XE NewFlyer said:

4:00 PM Weekdays artics on routes like 9, 30, 24, 49, 56, 62, 92, 93, 126, 206. the 52 usally gets 1 artic on weekdays  

  • PM Rush means 9 and 49 aren't getting any artics.
  • The 30 might get one for a school trip, that's about it.
  • Just because the 56 or 62 might get crowded, doesn't mean it needs artics. 
  • 92, 93 and 126 definitely aren't getting artics on a regular
  • 28 & 52 usually see about 1-3 4000s ever since about 2 & half weeks ago
  • Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

PM Rush means 9 and 49 aren't getting any artics

At least at one time, there were some for Lane Tech.

24 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

 

The way it looked on Bus Tracker, the morning one is interlined with 147. There were next stop times for stops in Evanston, and then Devon/Sheridan.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:
  • PM Rush means 9 and 49 aren't getting any artics.
  • The 30 might get one for a school trip, that's about it.
  • Just because the 56 or 62 might get crowded, doesn't mean it needs artics. 
  • 92, 93 and 126 definitely aren't getting artics on a regular
  • 28 & 52 usually see about 1-3 4000s ever since about 2 & half weeks ago
  • Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

I think he was saying around 4pm he sees artics on these routes.  He's spotting school runs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Busjack said:

At least at one time, there were some for Lane Tech.

 

The way it looked on Bus Tracker, the morning one is interlined with 147. There were next stop times for stops in Evanston, and then Devon/Sheridan.

When I looked at the schedules, I thought the layover time was too short and thought it was 206 - 22 and not 147 - 206 - 147. Thanks for clearing that up.

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

I think he was saying around 4pm he sees artics on these routes.  He's spotting school runs

I totally missed your previous post or else I wouldn't have said anything, my bad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:
  • PM Rush means 9 and 49 aren't getting any artics.
  • The 30 might get one for a school trip, that's about it.
  • Just because the 56 or 62 might get crowded, doesn't mean it needs artics. 
  • 92, 93 and 126 definitely aren't getting artics on a regular
  • 28 & 52 usually see about 1-3 4000s ever since about 2 & half weeks ago
  • Pretty sure the 206 is interlined with the 22 so that it can use an artic for school trips, but that's about it.

It's possible the 49 may use an artic or two for Lane Tech school trips.

The 62 artic trip is operated by K and serves Curie High School. 

The 126 could possibly use artics serving Whitney Young High School. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's possible the 49 may use an artic or two for Lane Tech school trips.

The 62 artic trip is operated by K and serves Curie High School. 

The 126 could possibly use artics serving Whitney Young High School. 

Those are south shops for 126

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2018 at 2:15 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

That weekend pilot performed better than expected, eh?

I don't usually come here for laughs, but this was the funniest thing I read all day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

They Need To Add Artics On The 68 for school trips from Taft High School

I don't know if  artics would be necessary.   Since the 68 terminates at Jefferson Park,  I think it might be more efficient to have a a tripper that can interline with another route out of Jefferson Park or can deadhead  from Jefferson Park  to one of F's east west routes.   That's  better than deadheading  an artic from P to  Taft to do a tripper to Jefferson Park, then  deadheading on the parking lot called the Kennedy all the way  downtown. 

Yes I have seen the  crush load on the 68 from Taft, but the logistics don't  favor sending an artic there.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know if  artics would be necessary.   Since the 68 terminates at Jefferson Park,  I think it might be more efficient to have a a tripper that can interline with another route out of Jefferson Park or can deadhead  from Jefferson Park  to one of F's east west routes.   That's  better than deadheading  an artic from P to  Taft to do a tripper to Jefferson Park, then  deadheading on the parking lot called the Kennedy all the way  downtown. 

Yes I have seen the  crush load on the 68 from Taft, but the logistics don't  favor sending an artic there.

It could go from Taft to Jeff park and then deadhead to probably like Howard red line and start a route or start on the 56 and go downtown and start at union on the 151 or something along those lines

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

It could go from Taft to Jeff park and then deadhead to probably like Howard red line and start a route or start on the 56 and go downtown and start at union on the 151 or something along those lines

You could do a lot of things, but it doesn't  mean it makes sense to do it just to cover one school tripper with an artic.  Those school trippers with artics end their routes somewhat close to downtown so it is a short deadhead to start their assigned route.  That wouldn't be the case in your scenario.   You also have to factor in driver hours of pay, fuel, and vehicle utilization.  The artics are primarily for LSD routes.

The only way your scenario works is if the same artic used for your Taft tripper is used on the current artic tripper on the 56, assuming time allows it to be effectively used  on both.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

They Need To Add Artics On The 68 for school trips from Taft High School

 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

You could do a lot of things, but it doesn't  mean it makes sense to do it just to cover one school tripper with an artic.  Those school trippers with artics end their routes somewhat close to downtown so it is a short deadhead to start their assigned route.  That wouldn't be the case in your scenario.   You also have to factor in driver hours of pay, fuel, and vehicle utilization.  The artics are primarily for LSD routes.

The only way your scenario works is if the same artic used for your Taft tripper is used on the current artic tripper on the 56, assuming time allows it to be effectively used  on both.  Otherwise, it doesn't make sense. 

That's really the key point here. There are 19 (6, 12, J14, 22, 26, 28, 52, 82, 125, 128, 134, 135, 136, 143, 146, 147, 148, 151, 156, 192) regular service routes that use consistently use artics. School trips & special service aside (now 17), 82% of these routes either utilize or closely border LSD. What's left is the 12 (widespread use only on weekends, sees more shoeboxes during weekday rush), 52 & 82 (neither of which get that many artics). I think @Busjack was the one who stated that with 100 extra artics, they are running them someplace and it seems for the most part, that they're on LSD routes.

 

*Open to corrections, my math might be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I think @Busjack was the one who stated that with 100 extra artics, they are running them someplace and it seems for the most part, that they're on LSD routes.

I said that only in the sense of some other commenters said "some bus is better than no bus," such as when an Optima showed up  on a heavy route. Here the opposite, but may be equally inappropriate.

I think  @artthouwill summed it up properly. I don't know if ETHS needs artics (and I'm pretty sure that when Evanston officials told Pace that they wanted fewer buses in town, they didn't mean artics), the only reason they are on 206 is that they interline with 22 and 147 at Howard.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...