Return of Route 145

XE NewFlyer

57 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

i saw a D60LFR that said it was running the 145 is it possible the 145 is back or might be comming back soon

Nope.  Just a wrong destination sign.  Perhaps that was supposed to be a 146 to Grace and Lake Shore and someone input 145 to the same destination that it once had.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Nope.  Just a wrong destination sign.  Perhaps that was supposed to be a 146 to Grace and Lake Shore and someone input 145 to the same destination that it once had.

If the 145 was coming back, the CTA would have put an alert about it on their site

21 minutes ago, XE NewFlyer said:

this brings me to the question why were the 145 and 144 discontinued

Ridership along Wilson was very low.  The 148 was rerouted to cover the 144 between Berwyn and Lawrence,and already covered the 145/148 portion south of Wilson.  The proximity of Ckarendon to Marine Drive  made the 144 expendable to eliminate duplication.  The 146 covers Inner Lake Shore  Drive between Belmont and Irving Park.   Eliminating the  145 eliminates duplication of the 146.

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Next question is why in the heck is it still in the sign program? Strange I've never seen this sign and I'm always around LSD.

As demonstrated in the discussion of the new 95, CTA doesn't do a thorough job of cleaning out the sign program.

However, unless that is like 95, with the wrong sign in the slot, the next question is why the gps selected the wrong sign, instead of the usual one for 146. 

Or @XE NewFlyer misread the sign.

5 minutes ago, Busjack said:

As demonstrated in the discussion of the new 95, CTA doesn't do a thorough job of cleaning out the sign program.

However, unless that is like 95, with the wrong sign in the slot, the next question is why the gps selected the wrong sign, instead of the usual one for 146. 

Or @XE NewFlyer misread the sign.

well it would be a few years of sign programs. Can 95 say that?

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

well it would be a few years of sign programs. Can 95 say that?

That wasn't the issue. The issue was that the 95 slot was still being occupied by 90N, which had been dead for several years.

I think some part of the code gets missed when cleaning them out because I still see a few 14 Jeffery Express signs here and there along with an occasional X4 or X3 here and there.  If it was the famous 145 EXPRESS to Grace/Lake Shore it could be a 145 code for that run left where the 146 short turns which some interline with 148 just like the old 145/148 interline. Makes me wonder if some 148s come with a ravenswood sign slipping through here and there

Speaking of eliminating and returning bus routes, do you think the 143 Stockton/ Michigan Express should be cut, and riders just the 151 Sheridan. The 143 only runs express from Fullerton to Michigan and Delaware. Usually during rush hour in the morning and evening LSD gets so backed up that traffic is almost stand still. From what I see the 151 Sheridan moves faster than the LSD traffic during rush hour. I just always felt that the 143 was useless, cta was so quick to cut the 145 but the 143s still running. If I had the authority in cta, I would axe the 143 and have people use the 151 Sheridan. By the time you get to Fullerton you’re already 3/4 the way to Michigan Ave. why not just stick it out on the 151? 

@Tcmetro the 134 is usally faster than the 156 because it has to go on wacker bus those 134's are packed and there are SO MANY OF THEM its crazy, so as long as the ridership is good they wont get rid of the whole route @Manny018 the 143 usally is faster it may seem slower but stockton slows the 151's down however is a 151 is due and the next 143 is in ten minutes unless there is no traffic on LSD then the 151 would be the better option and like i said with the 134 the 143 has ridership so they will keep it and the 143 picks up slack on the 151 so stockton is not full of buses

On 8/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, Manny018 said:

Speaking of eliminating and returning bus routes, do you think the 143 Stockton/ Michigan Express should be cut, and riders just the 151 Sheridan. The 143 only runs express from Fullerton to Michigan and Delaware. Usually during rush hour in the morning and evening LSD gets so backed up that traffic is almost stand still. From what I see the 151 Sheridan moves faster than the LSD traffic during rush hour. I just always felt that the 143 was useless, cta was so quick to cut the 145 but the 143s still running. If I had the authority in cta, I would axe the 143 and have people use the 151 Sheridan. By the time you get to Fullerton you’re already 3/4 the way to Michigan Ave. why not just stick it out on the 151? 

Before the 143 came into being,  the 151s and the 156s were usually full by Fullerton and packed like sardines by North Avenue,  which is in part why the 134 and the 143 were created.. This works very well and not only should it stay in place, it will stay in place.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/31/2018 at 5:17 PM, artthouwill said:

Ridership along Wilson was very low.  The 148 was rerouted to cover the 144 between Berwyn and Lawrence,and already covered the 145/148 portion south of Wilson.  The proximity of Ckarendon to Marine Drive  made the 144 expendable to eliminate duplication.  The 146 covers Inner Lake Shore  Drive between Belmont and Irving Park.   Eliminating the  145 eliminates duplication of the 146.

I take note that you mention streamlining service duplication as the reason for the 144's demise, which actually is what CTA should have given and not that BS low ridership explanation because those 1000s that mostly ran on the route were far from empty. Same for the 145 as a whole. I'd lean more towards the service duplication reasoning (for peak hour service anyway) on the Wilson portion of 145/148 as many 40 foot standard buses that found themselves in service along side the artics on the route that I observed on the Wilson portion going NB for example still were standing room only as far as up the route as Wilson/Ashland more often than CTA wanted to admit. At that point WB 78 buses still used Clarendon to get to Wilson instead operating on Broadway to do so as done today.