Sign in to follow this  
MetroShadow

News: Metra to explore buying 200+ cars

1 hour ago, MetroShadow said:

Metra goes back to the drawing board and plans to order 200+ railcars. 

/the question is will they explore another design beyond the legacy ones?

We'll see.  Even if they only modify the current design similar to the South shore Highliners, that would be an improvement.   Metra should"ve adopted that for the ME if for no other reason than the old Highliners proved the faster boarding that the first new set of Highliners couldn't. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, artthouwill said:

We'll see.  Even if they only modify the current design similar to the South shore Highliners, that would be an improvement.   Metra should"ve adopted that for the ME if for no other reason than the old Highliners proved the faster boarding that the first new set of Highliners couldn't. 

How was the design modified?

20 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

Metra goes back to the drawing board and plans to order 200+ railcars. 

/the question is will they explore another design beyond the legacy ones?

Yes.

From the Metra site:

"Metra issues RFP for new railcars that allows for alternative designs

Metra today issued a request for proposals (RFP) for at least 200 new railcars, and it is allowing manufacturers to propose alternative car designs that may address Metra’s needs better than the bi-level gallery cars that have been used in Chicago for nearly 70 years.

One important consideration will be to increase seating capacity. Since yard space and platform length currently limit the number and length of trains that can operate, increasing the seating capacity is a relatively fast and efficient way to meet increased ridership demand within our physical confines.

In addition, the interior design of the seats, aisles, stairwells and doors must create the most efficient passenger flow possible. The seats must have arm rests and cup holders, and manufacturers have the option of proposing features such as USB ports, foot rests and tray tables with the seats. Heated floors also can be proposed as an option.

The new cars also must include bike racks for two to five bikes, a camera/DVR system for the passenger area and LED lighting. Onboard Wi-Fi may be proposed as an option; but if the proposal does not include Wi-Fi, there must be provisions for it to be added later.

Some alternative car designs now available have lower, platform-level boarding that could benefit ADA customers and families with strollers when boarding and detraining. Others have different side-loading door configurations that could potentially decrease the time it takes passengers to board and exit the train, which could also speed train trips."

• Thanks 3

I hope Metra will put up a poll before final designs are decided on. Like on the latest cars I think the seats could be better. Most of the time i feel like I am sitting on top of the seat instead of in it. I am comparing this to the seats on the 7200 cars with the squared red seats... those are the best!! That’s just my wishful thinking 🤔 

If they could just get rid of the whole "gallery" aspect, that'd be great. I love sitting on the top level of cars, but not Metra's. Outlets are also a must, part of the reason I love taking the ME.

43 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

If they could just get rid of the whole "gallery" aspect, that'd be great. I love sitting on the top level of cars, but not Metra's. Outlets are also a must, part of the reason I love taking the ME.

The other lines have electric outlets you just need to find the cars that look like the ME. A lot of diesel lines have new and old cars mixed