How COVID-19 affects transit

19 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Kind of nuts the #8 is not really experiencing crowding issues on the south side. Maybe on the north side? 

I forgot theres some construction on cottage  at 61st which is like driving an artic at the cta roadeo. I know I drove my bus through there, not fun. I used to do alot of university of chicago charters. Cottage is a pretty wide street. If anything I would think the problems would be on 79th. Kind of weird I havent been to 95th since all this virus stuff got started wonder how they are doing 95th is a busy street. 

The 8 is busier on the north end.   That's why  some SB buses short turn at Root.  Seemingly that is an odd place to short turn buses for a garage that's located 1/2 mile from the south end of the route.  Also some buses are laid up midday at Division just east of Halsted ,(I forget the name of the street they are parked on). I suppose some of those drivers do lunch reliefs and run the short turns before or after their lunch breaks.

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 8 is busier on the north end.   That's why  some SB buses short turn at Root.  Seemingly that is an odd place to short turn buses for a garage that's located 1/2 mile from the south end of the route.  Also some buses are laid up midday at Division just east of Halsted ,(I forget the name of the street they are parked on). I suppose some of those drivers do lunch reliefs and run the short turns before or after their lunch breaks.

I think the street is Burling 

21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

J thought Burling was 700W.  The street I'm referring to is literally just feet east of Halsted.  Think of New St just east of Columbus between Illinois and North Water.  The street I that close to Halsted and is seemingly very short.

I went by it about 3 weeks ago and noticed the street name but dang I forgot it. My info came from a street map and it appears that Burling is immediately east of Halsted and its short.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

I went by it about 3 weeks ago and noticed the street name but dang I forgot it. My info came from a street map and it appears that Burling is immediately east of Halsted and its short.

I did a Google search which provided a picture .  There was a bus parked on that short street which Google identifies as Burling.  Immediately to the west on Division is a traffic light.  After zooming in on the sign attached to the traffic signal on the northwest corner, the sign indeed says Halsted.  I know further north Burling is further east and not that close to Halsted.  Thanks.

Pace hasn't posted anything to the website, but they seem to have implemented rear door boarding, except on the buses with only 1 door. I've seen the 349, 352, 353, 379 & 381 over the last three days and no one has boarded through the front. Additionally, I've only seen 1 bus with the seats marked as no one being allowed to sit.

22 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

@NewFlyerMCI I can attest that the #290 has rear door boarding.

At least I don't have to pull the doors open like on the CTA ?.

Might just be the operator. West is letting you in at the front. See if more are doing this if so. It may be a nw rule or the system has started something new.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Might just be the operator. West is letting you in at the front. See if more are doing this if so. It may be a nw rule or the system has started something new.

It does depend on the operator, though most operators are boarding passengers at the rear.  I've only had one operator ar West board passengers at the front since Pace stopped collecting fares. 

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It does depend on the operator, though most operators are boarding passengers at the rear.  I've only had one operator ar West board passengers at the front since Pace stopped collecting fares. 

So far I've only interacted with routes from the CNG garage (South?) and whatever garage hosts the Midway routes (Southwest?). In total, I've been on the 349, 352, 353, 379, 381, 384, 385 & 390. I've yet to board through the front on any of the routes, except the 384, cause I caught a 30ft. Additionally, I've only seen the South buses with the restricted seating notices and what-not, although only 1 recently (the 349)

Metra to reduce HC, SWS and NCS schedules May 4

On the Heritage Corridor and North Central Service, the schedule will be temporarily reduced to one inbound trip in the morning and one outbound trip in the evening. On the SouthWest Service, there temporarily will be two inbound trips in the morning and two outbound trips in the evening.

4 minutes ago, Smolensk said:

Makes sense.  In the case of NCS,I hope  CN doesn't try to pull a fast one and increase its freight operations.   When things return to normal and Metra tries to restore normal service,  will CN block Metra?  Unlike UP and BNSF, CN hasn't been cooperative with Metra. 

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm surprised they haven't just cut service all together on the HC

I'm not.   People in Joliet,  Lockport,  Romeoville,  Lemont, and Summit use the service,  even if it's a few.  With the exception of Romeoville and Joliet there's no real alternative. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not.   People in Joliet,  Lockport,  Romeoville,  Lemont, and Summit use the service,  even if it's a few.  With the exception of Romeoville and Joliet there's no real alternative. 

Everything but Lockport and Lemont has alternative service close by or at the station and ridership was never that high in the first place. It's not like people are walking to the stations. How long is a typical HC consist anyway? I can't imagine they're running more than 2-3 cars during the pandemic

58 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Everything but Lockport and Lemont has alternative service close by or at the station and ridership was never that high in the first place. It's not like people are walking to the stations. How long is a typical HC consist anyway? I can't imagine they're running more than 2-3 cars during the pandemic

Consists are 3 cars.  

Romeoville and Summit have Pace or CTA, but neither service is really close to the train stations.  

8 hours ago, geneking7320 said:

Rant >

There was a artic [vehicle number between 4000 and 4150] working the J14 this week. The driver could unlock the rear doors but not open them. Boarding was dependent

upon a passenger opening them for you. Bummer!

End of rant.

Mechanism to open them must be broken, I feel for you

Pace temporary service cuts effective May 18:

Pulse Milwaukee Line: Weekday peak frequency reduced to 15 minutes

241: Service suspended

302: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule

311: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule

314: Weekday peak frequency reduced to 60 minutes

319: Trips between Wolf/North and Bensenville eliminated

320: Service suspended

327: Service suspended

332: One weekday afternoon round trip eliminated

355: Service suspended

356: Several trips eliminated

357: Several trips eliminated

372: Service suspended

379: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule, except FedEx trips which will not change

383: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule

384: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule

386: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule

504: Weekday frequency reduced to 60 minutes

507: Weekday frequency reduced to 60 minutes

561: Weekday frequency reduced

564: Weekday service operates on Saturday schedule

566: Service suspended

569: Several trips eliminated

573: Service suspended

604: Weekday peak frequency reduced

608: Service suspended

610: Service suspended

616: Service suspended

696: Service suspended

757: Service suspended

850: Most trips replaced by 850/851/855 combination trips operating every 30 minutes

851: Most trips replaced by 850/851/855 combination trips operating every 30 minutes

855: Most trips replaced by 850/851/855 combination trips operating every 30 minutes

877: Service suspended

888: Service suspended

• 1 month later...