CTA Budget 2021

artthouwill

On 10/27/2020 at 2:53 AM, MetroShadow said:

A chunk of the Pace service is peak period service, including the low ridership feeders. Take them out, and about 50% of the ridership is majority legacy services (Pulse, 208, 250, 270, 290, 301, 311, 318, 349, 350, 352, 353, 565, 606, etc).

The exurbans aren't as heavy as the aforementioned but provide some essential connections (272, 554) and (after rewriting the title VI plan) can't be evaluated or suspended for the reasons that legacy routes (apples to cantaloupe).

Express routes is something you can take it or leave it (608, 610, 616 needs employer generators to work, whereas 606 is an core route and the rest of I-90 is supported by grants). I-94 and I-294 expresses are cut for the same reason but maybe they'll return as needed (626 is a legacy connector).

Comparing Pace to CTA isn't a fair nor equitable approach. Density and the dynamics of the inner and outer suburbs vary wildly and the services are far different. 

May you explain this?

On 10/16/2020 at 3:52 PM, artthouwill said:

Considering how Pace has cuts in service for its 2021 budget, I wonder what CTA will actually propose.

This is what I would propose 

Reduce Red Line owl service frequency from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.

Eliminate Blue Line owl service.

Eliminate bus routes 1, 11,18,24,30,31,37,43,4448,54A,55A,85A,96,100,124,134,143,165.

ELIMINATE the downtown service on the 28.

Eliminate service east of the Garfield Red Line on route 59, if bot the entire route.

Please leave the 28 alone :(

• Haha 1

On 11/1/2020 at 7:19 AM, NewFlyerMCI said:

May you explain this?

Exurbans are basically the satellite cities (Waukegan, Joliet, Aurora, and Elgin). These are areas where (1) services are different than the core routes (270, 290, 318, etc), and (2) each satellite city should be evaluated individually (meaning Heritage should be evaluated by itself; River, North, etc.).

From an equity lens, I should not cut service entirely from the exurbans because they don't have the same ridership as the core network. That doesn't mean that a route should be eliminated, but they should be right-sized and trips (or days) could be cut. 

On 10/31/2020 at 5:22 PM, Tcmetro said:

I checked through some more timetables on IRM-CTA and saw that the 1, 2, X9, J14, X49, and 65 also got some frequency cuts this summer/fall.  

I'm wondering how IRM has the inside scoop on what really goes on at the garages and how runs are distributed. The only thing that has been cut to the best of my knowledge are the school runs for obvious reasons. The timetables haven't been changed at our garage however the the missing runs from call offs and operators going in the sick book have shot up drastically so the intervals/timetables of runs become misleading. CTA is hiring and spitting out new operators and retraining previous ones as fast as they can to fill those missing gaps of the operators that are missing currently. I would love to get some links to this data IRM has put out there because from what I'm seeing on the front lines doesn't suffice with your past few statements. You can't cut what hasn't been there to fill it to begin with if that makes sense. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm wondering how IRM has the inside scoop on what really goes on at the garages and how runs are distributed. The only thing that has been cut to the best of my knowledge are the school runs for obvious reasons. The timetables haven't been changed at our garage however the the missing runs from call offs and operators going in the sick book have shot up drastically so the intervals/timetables of runs become misleading. CTA is hiring and spitting out new operators and retraining previous ones as fast as they can to fill those missing gaps of the operators that are missing currently. I would love to get some links to this data IRM has put out there because from what I'm seeing on the front lines doesn't suffice with your past few statements. You can't cut what hasn't been there to fill it to begin with if that makes sense. 

I'm just looking at their archive of public timetables. A lot of the cuts only amount to a few runs for most routes. It's things like going from an 8 min headway to 10, or 10 to 12 or 15. Everything I've noticed is at peak as well, no changes off-peak. 

Also, like you've mentioned school trips not running, a lot of those have been removed from the recent versions of the timetables. 

I see what you mean about the runs that aren't being filled. I'm just comparing the schedules between the two. Interesting that the public bus timetables are being updated but the rail ones haven't. 

Good to hear new operators are being hired. 

Here's the link to the timetables:

http://irm-cta.org/TT/TT.html

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

I am curious myself where this schedule is found on the IRM home page.

Hi all, 

I'm a reporter with WBEZ, and we are updating the following story about what it's like to be a CTA rail operator to include what it's like working during the pandemic. Is anyone here a rail operator and interested in talking about your experiences? If so, send me a message! Thanks. 
 https://www.wbez.org/stories/doors-closing-life-as-a-cta-rail-operator/9229e464-fc0a-4ca5-9a50-7235c94c92fe