8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

I saw 8707 at 77th yesterday. I wonder when or if any of these new Novas will make their way to 74th Garage or even North Park eventually. I’ve been an operator for 12yrs now and the Flyers were at least 6 when I started lol. They’re starting to really show their age now and I know they’ll be gone after while 😞. So I’m sure NP will have to get some Novas too.

On 6/27/2024 at 10:21 PM, YoungBusLover said:

#8696 entered service out of FG this afternoon.

Somewhere @BusHunter is smiling with all of the newest Novas at Forest Glen and the Blue line 7000s.   With about 250 yet to be delivered   North Park has ONE new Nova and 74th has NONE with 77th having less than 30.  So four garages dominate having the new Novas with three of those garages serving Mayor Brandon Johnson's West Side. ( K routes don't quite run near his house like C and to a lesser extent F).  I guess South Siders protested too much about the migrants .

• Haha 1

On 6/28/2024 at 9:42 PM, artthouwill said:

Somewhere @BusHunter is smiling with all of the newest Novas at Forest Glen and the Blue line 7000s.   With about 250 yet to be delivered   North Park has ONE new Nova and 74th has NONE with 77th having less than 30.  So four garages dominate having the new Novas with three of those garages serving Mayor Brandon Johnson's West Side. ( K routes don't quite run near his house like C and to a lesser extent F).  I guess South Siders protested too much about the migrants .

I'm happy 77th hardly has any, I can't stand those shop queens at all that we have. Always in the shop hardly on the road being productive.

6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I'm happy 77th hardly has any, I can't stand those shop queens at all that we have. Always in the shop hardly on the road being productive.

Is that to say the 8350s are high maintenance? Have any in revenue 8350s needed to go to SS for major work yet? 

11 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

4 hours ago, Javi75 said:

Is that to say the 8350s are high maintenance? Have any in revenue 8350s needed to go to SS for major work yet? 

From my perspective K and C haven't had any problems and today 103rd Novas were out in Force .  Maybe 77th drivers are rough on the  buses  compared with the other garages.  Or 77th operators  could be prima donnas?

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

From my perspective K and C haven't had any problems and today 103rd Novas were out in Force .  Maybe 77th drivers are rough on the  buses  compared with the other garages.  Or 77th operators  could be prima donnas?

77th has prematurely worn out every bus it's had or swapped them out since the 1970s New Looks.

• Confused 1

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's hard to wear out buses that barely have 20k +miles on them to begin with. They get withheld from service for ticky tack defects like fareboxes, signage, rear interlocks, A/C, suspension, rear exhaust, and this the most interesting one of them all, transmissions not properly going/out of gear. The only #8350 that has run consistently is #8405 which I hardly ever see in the shops. The other 23 minus #8419 - #8422 are constantly in the shops with prevost techs and regular garage techs. 

12 hours ago, Busjack said:

77th has prematurely worn out every bus it's had or swapped them out since the 1970s New Looks.

I won't argue with that statement because that is very true. Our 7900s are worn out. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8669, #8704 and #8710 have entered service out of FG.

I didn’t FG was going to get anymore 8350s than what they had, their 1000s must really be falling apart. I thought 7 or k would’ve gotten more before FG did. I’m fine with it considering that the 80 Irving Park is the closest route to me. 

7 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

I didn’t FG was going to get anymore 8350s than what they had, their 1000s must really be falling apart. I thought 7 or k would’ve gotten more before FG did. I’m fine with it considering that the 80 Irving Park is the closest route to me. 

1596 1700 1735 1046 1039 1448 1035 1068 1391 1592 1043 1392 1076 1618 1653 1512 1660 1070 and 1064 have not been in service since 6/27/24 or earlier

1 minute ago, Javi75 said:

I know FG and 103rd were the first two garages to get 8350s, but FG started to lose some to C, then saw a chunk of its 82xx to K while receiving New Flyers in return.   

Like I mentioned before,  FG has two routes that serve Mayor Brandon Johnson's West Side neighborhood ( 85 and 91) along with C routes.  C has the most 8350s of any garage. 

While FG is getting a lot of these new buses now, it remains to be seen how many actually stay there.  NP has ONE  new Nova, 74th doesn't have any, and 77th has less than 30. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I know FG and 103rd were the first two garages to get 8350s, but FG started to lose some to C, then saw a chunk of its 82xx to K while receiving New Flyers in return.   

Like I mentioned before,  FG has two routes that serve Mayor Brandon Johnson's West Side neighborhood ( 85 and 91) along with C routes.  C has the most 8350s of any garage. 

While FG is getting a lot of these new buses now, it remains to be seen how many actually stay there.  NP has ONE  new Nova, 74th doesn't have any, and 77th has less than 30. 

I was thinking the majority are at C because of it being the other garage than K having the most downtown routes. K is covered with 7900s, how much pull does a mayor have in bus garage assignments? From the sounds of it Brandon Johnson doesn’t really think anything of CTA. It’s not a political priority for him. 

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

I was thinking the majority are at C because of it being the other garage than K having the most downtown routes. K is covered with 7900s, how much pull does a mayor have in bus garage assignments? From the sounds of it Brandon Johnson doesn’t really think anything of CTA. It’s not a political priority for him. 

Brandon Johnson doesn't think much....

But he attempted to get Dorval Carter removed as CTA President before reversing course.

He also complained about the unequal service that the Forest Park Blue Line branch was receiving compared to the O'Hare branch.  Everyone except him realizes that the passenger loads on the O'Hare branch far exceeds thei loads on the Forest Park branch. 

K has both 82xx ( from the 7900s) and new 8350s.