8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

37 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

8600 has already entered service

I'm aware of that but it's back at SS in our bays receiving HVAC work on it. Surprisingly quite a few of Cs buses are in our maintenance bay this week. A  few #600s and #8100s I saw back there last night.

1 hour ago, Elkmn said:

oh yeah, i meant 74th, but where the heck did "6" come from?

74th replaced 69th St garage on 6/18/1995. 69th St garaged opened as a Chicago City Railway streetcar barn in 1908.

When 69th closed the "6" code was transferred to 74th St.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elkmn said:

oh yeah, i meant 74th, but where the heck did "6" come from?

3 minutes ago, busfan2847 said:

74th replaced 69th St garage on 6/18/1995....

When 69th closed the "6" code was transferred to 74th St.

And, of course, 7 was already taken by 77th.

On 4/12/2024 at 9:29 PM, Elkmn said:

yeesh, finally. maybe 4 or P will get them (one could hope).

You don't have to hope. 74th and NP are both likely to get something eventually even if it's not as fast as you like. They operators at those two have to be properly trained before we see new buses going to either garage. In the meantime, we'll see new buses continue to hit service at C, 7 if the noticeable increases I saw in buses out there means anything, and perhaps K if they're to get more than what they received so far before new bus sightings fell off to being only from C.

On 3/28/2024 at 8:33 PM, Run312 said:

Upper management only wants newer equipment (Nova 8343+ and up) running on the 56 because it’s a heavy ridership route and it passes Cta headquarters. The flyers are assigned primarily on Central, Belmont, Austin, Diversey and sometimes Lawrence. You will never see a flyer on Milwaukee unless P is asssiting and filling a run you may even see artic once a blue moon filling a run.

On 4/3/2024 at 11:01 PM, Run312 said:

Cta management wants the new nova’s on east and west routes that run into downtown. The flyers are always relegated to feeder routes or small trips. I’m surprised Chicago isn’t all nova yet 

Outside it already being pointed out that K doesn't have its east west downtown routes operated solely by Novas, 8350s or otherwise, the thought that they're making 8350s deployment decisions out of a desire to put a good face in front of the media as others have inferred and piggybacked from your posts is meaningless in the grand scheme. For one very few news stories related to the CTA are videoed from outside CTA headquarters. Also the local media has a knack for using recycled and rehashed footage that has older buses in the shot as well as buses that display long dead routes or route segments in their destination signs. That putting forth a good face routine only works when they're putting out their own press releases on the CTA website or doing a photo op that doesn't require a specific bus in question to be moving or in service. Outside what you may have noted with the 56 in particular being primarily 8350s and a sprinkling of 7900s, 8350s are assigned pretty much by what bus is ready and available as grouped together by garage management and supervisors no different than the other bus models and model years. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

You don't have to hope.

good. I'm tired of hoping. 

any progress with the LFSe? seems like a lost cause at this point, it's not like nova will be able to make CTA a new batch of buses before they leave america. 

18 hours ago, Elkmn said:

good. I'm tired of hoping. 

any progress with the LFSe? seems like a lost cause at this point, it's not like nova will be able to make CTA a new batch of buses before they leave america. 

Just be patient. Nova Bus has more than CTA to fill orders for. And there is no evidence that the LFSe is actually a thing with CTA because as @Busjack noted a number of times there was never a bid put out as far as CTA's solicitation records show and no record of a contract awarded. And if that in fact is still the case, which I've heard no mention otherwise, it's never going to be a CTA LFSe with Nova leaving the US market to concentrate on Canada and this current 8350s contract being the last one CTA ever does with Nova. Your only hope in that case is some possibility a small number of LFSe buses are an addendum to the 8350s order similar to how the hybrid NF 800s and 900s were for the 1000s order. But again like with a solicitation for bids separately for an LFSe order, there's no record or announcement of that being the case as far as I know.

On 4/13/2024 at 9:12 AM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Also 8596 is at NP for driver training

Previously, 8596 was at Kedzie. Will 8596 return to Kedzie at some point, or is 8596 being assigned to North Park long term (in other words, will 8596 return to service being assigned to North Park after driver training at North Park is over)?