8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

9 hours ago, Rhys Pate said:

There are also smaller numbers of carbon steel-frame 1000s at F and at K.

It would make sense for P to be the highest priority instead of the lowest priority because P has so many of the carbon steel-frame 1000s. P also has a lot of 4000s, which have the same problem as the carbon steel-frame 1000s. I am thinking that the CTA will have to assign Novas to P (new 8350s and/or reassigning 7900s). The CTA may do that and assign more stainless steel-frame 1000s to P.

Just want to point one thing out, since 2007 NFI has used carbon steel frames. Which would include the #1630 - #2029 Option 3/4, #4000s and #4300s which are currently undergoing rehabs dating back to last year. As far as NP/C/K are concerned NP was taken care of with getting a boatload of equipment from 74th, 77th, 103rd, and K over the last 8 - 10 months. They're fine for the time being, C and K are the top priorities since they've had the most issues as of late dating back to last year. K resolved there issues in part by getting FGs younger #7900s for its aging #1600s adding on to that comes the #8350s to balance out whatever else was lost to SS over the past year or two. C on the other hand is in a odd place due to the #600s being defunct for various reasons in 2023 which are now lingering into 2024, added with that is there #19/2000s starting to show there age with rust, mileage and other issues. The nod was given to C to receive whatever NP/K didn't get during the Summer/Fall picks which is what we're seeing currently now added with a few new editions that recently got newer fareboxes and software aka #1106, #1301 and #8411. Now the focus really is on getting this last batch of #85/8600s shipped out to these two garages so the focus can be put back on the Artics down at SS. Eventually if and when the next batch of #8350s start arriving the focus will shift a bit towards other ventures within the system. #4300, #600s, Updated fareboxes and clever devices then #1000s.

40 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Just want to point one thing out, since 2007 NFI has used carbon steel frames. Which would include the #1630 - #2029 Option 3/4, #4000s and #4300s which are currently undergoing rehabs dating back to last year. As far as NP/C/K are concerned NP was taken care of with getting a boatload of equipment from 74th, 77th, 103rd, and K over the last 8 - 10 months. They're fine for the time being, C and K are the top priorities since they've had the most issues as of late dating back to last year. K resolved there issues in part by getting FGs younger #7900s for its aging #1600s adding on to that comes the #8350s to balance out whatever else was lost to SS over the past year or two. C on the other hand is in a odd place due to the #600s being defunct for various reasons in 2023 which are now lingering into 2024, added with that is there #19/2000s starting to show there age with rust, mileage and other issues. The nod was given to C to receive whatever NP/K didn't get during the Summer/Fall picks which is what we're seeing currently now added with a few new editions that recently got newer fareboxes and software aka #1106, #1301 and #8411. Now the focus really is on getting this last batch of #85/8600s shipped out to these two garages so the focus can be put back on the Artics down at SS. Eventually if and when the next batch of #8350s start arriving the focus will shift a bit towards other ventures within the system. #4300, #600s, Updated fareboxes and clever devices then #1000s.

What is with NP not getting 7900s or 8350s, the 6400s worked out there a few times. They’re the only non Nova garage, is it just the garages preference or 567 just doesn’t want them there? Also how do the 8350s drive compared to 7900s, I’ve heard about the 7900s having that jerking motion. 

14 minutes ago, Javi75 said:

What is with NP not getting 7900s or 8350s, the 6400s worked out there a few times. They’re the only non Nova garage, is it just the garages preference or 567 just doesn’t want them there? Also how do the 8350s drive compared to 7900s, I’ve heard about the 7900s having that jerking motion. 

Dating back on History NP received those #6400s based off of bloat from Archer when it closed, Also when the #7500s were abruptly taken out of service and most recently just getting the remaining ones post pandemic getting used for PM service from FG. Word around the system was NP Management did not want those #6400s there at all and swiftly sent them back over to FG first chance they got. In regards to the #7900s and #8350s I wish I had the answer to that. My only guess would be that NP historically has been a Artic dominant garage and the need for them based off the history of that particular garage just hasn't been a priority since the year 2000. Other series of bus minus the #7300s/ #7500s have faired well up there. In due time once there is less #1000s in service I'm sure they'll get some up there but there just doesn't seem to be a demand from NP management or 567 to send them Novas let alone brand new ones at this time.

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It's unfortunate that these buses are arriving in a random order.  I would have loved seeing which south side garages was next in line to get the new buses.

Yeah it really is to be quite honest. I think we won't see any movement towards the Southside again until K and C gets to about 50 LFSs a piece.

15 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yeah it really is to be quite honest. I think we won't see any movement towards the Southside again until K and C gets to about 50 LFSs a piece.

I know.  Had they been delivered in order or close to it, 8650 could be the benchmark as both C and K should have had at least 50 each.  I guess we will soon see.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I know.  Had they been delivered in order or close to it, 8650 could be the benchmark as both C and K should have had at least 50 each.  I guess we will soon see.

It's a bit lopsided right now since C has 61 which seems to be growing and K has about 33 currently. Hopefully by the Spring pick K will have close to 50. 

On 2/10/2024 at 1:04 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Now this is really odd, I finally found #8614 but now I'm just at a lost for words with the next 3 I found. #868×, #8682 & and #8683 are at SS. 

I'm not surprised.   Like I said before, hikers will pick the buses they can get out the quickest.  If the newest bus is in the front,  that's what they will take. Vthey won't walk to the back of the lit or the end of a lot if there's a bus closer to them where they can drive out.  Unless they are told to specifically take a particular bus, they will opt for the nearest one. 

• Upvote 1

On 2/11/2024 at 6:28 PM, Mr.cta85 said:

8700’s better come to 74th or I’m flipping tables lol.

You all can have them. 😅 On another note I saw what appears to be #8658 at SS this afternoon along with another #86xx. They're really getting setup quickly I just don't understand why they're not getting prepped with newer fareboxes off the jump so far. 

2 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I'm not surprised.   Like I said before, hikers will pick the buses they can get out the quickest.  If the newest bus is in the front,  that's what they will take. Vthey won't walk to the back of the lit or the end of a lot if there's a bus closer to them where they can drive out.  Unless they are told to specifically take a particular bus, they will opt for the nearest one. 

Well tell them to get #8605 next trip out West haha 😅.

• Haha 2

12 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

I just don't understand why they're not getting prepped with newer fareboxes off the jump so far.

One would think, but I guess they aren't the 100 slated for the test phase.

• Upvote 1

On 2/12/2024 at 10:27 AM, Busjack said:

One would think, but I guess they aren't the 100 slated for the test phase.

That and they aren't slated for Chicago, which is the garage I saw one of the local news stories reporting as being where the first tests are centered.

28 minutes ago, jajuan said:

That and they aren't slated for Chicago, which is the garage I saw one of the local news stories reporting as being where the first tests are centered.

From the drivers' reports, it's not determined which around the 8600s are going to K or C, although the former 103rd 1000s are going to C.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

From the drivers' reports, it's not determined which around the 8600s are going to K or C, although the former 103rd 1000s are going to C.

From what I've been seeing almsot every 1000 from 103rd that has popped up so far at C has the new fareboxes installed. The #8600s deliveries at this point may start pivoting back to the Southside because if I'm not mistaken K and C are just about at a surplus of equipment. 

27 minutes ago, Busjack said:

It is rather interesting though that older model buses are helping start off the test over sticking new fareboxes in the new buses as the get delivered and prepped for service and using those.