8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

I see that a number of the 8350s have a feature I never noticed until encountering and riding the higher numbered ones assigned to K. When the buses make a full turn or make any other turning motion such as pulling over to or away from the curb, sensors on the bus detect parked vehicles or other obstructions near the curb and trigger a "Caution. Bus is approaching" warning. 

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

I see that a number of the 8350s have a feature I never noticed until encountering and riding the higher numbered ones assigned to K. When the buses make a full turn or make any other turning motion such as pulling over to or away from the curb, sensors on the bus detect parked vehicles or other obstructions near the curb and trigger a "Caution. Bus is approaching" warning. 

Mobileye apparently is part of the 8350s spec.  See discussion about here.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jajuan said:

A number of Pace buses sound the alert "Caution, the bus is "turning" for at least a year.

On 12/12/2023 at 6:47 AM, strictures said:

A number of Pace buses sound the alert "Caution, the bus is "turning" for at least a year.

In the case of CTA though, the alert says "Bus is approaching". I thought it said "Bus is turning" like on the Pace ENCs, but when I listened a little closer I realized it was saying "approaching" instead of "turning".

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

In the case of CTA though, the alert says "Bus is approaching". I thought it said "Bus is turning" like on the Pace ENCs, but when I listened a little closer I realized it was saying "approaching" instead of "turning".

I'm sure it depends on where the bus is and what it is doing. When I heard "Bus is turning," it was [in the days of] Shuttle Bugs turning into the Lake-Cook bus terminal. I have a bit of an idea, but don't know what sets off a "Bus is approaching" alert. Might be similar to the cross-pedestrian warning on a car. Also, I'm not sure what system CTA has, but they appear configurable.

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

I'm sure it depends on where the bus is and what it is doing. When I heard "Bus is turning," it was [in the days of] Shuttle Bugs turning into the Lake-Cook bus terminal. I have a bit of an idea, but don't know what sets off a "Bus is approaching" alert. Might be similar to the cross-pedestrian warning on a car. Also, I'm not sure what system CTA has, but they appear configurable.

Might possibly function similar to the sensor that warns a car driver that's reversing that something is behind it and beeps? 

On 12/15/2023 at 12:28 PM, Busjack said:

At the Belmont Blue Line “L” stop, the announcement is heard when a westbound bus makes the 90° turn from southbound to westbound for the stop.

37 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

#8600 and #8603 have been delivered to SS. I'm surprised that they popped up before the Holidays, I was convinced there would be no more deliveries until Jan 2024 

One has to figure that deliveries may have been delayed by 2 blizzards in upstate NY, both in the North Country and Western NY.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...