8350-series Nova LFS - Updates

WCR

What are the delivery speeds of 8350s compared to the 7900s and 1000s? Are the 8350s having a faster or slower rollout than the 7900s? Could CTA pick up all options before Nova shuts down production in the US? 

9 hours ago, Javi75 said:

What are the delivery speeds of 8350s compared to the 7900s and 1000s? Are the 8350s having a faster or slower rollout than the 7900s? Could CTA pick up all options before Nova shuts down production in the US? 

If you read in the proper topic or above--CTA picked up all the options. The remaining about  250 buses should show up by this time next year.

A search of this topic shows that someone named @Javi75asked the same question and got the same answer on Jan. 18. So, why ask again?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

If you read in the proper topic or above--CTA picked up all the options. The remaining about  250 buses should show up by this time next year.

A search of this topic shows that someone named @Javi75asked the same question and got the same answer on Jan. 18. So, why ask again?

My bad I forgot that I asked before, on a side note do you think C would be the first garage to completely replace all of its 1000s with the 8350s? There’s a lot to still come so it will be interesting to see the moves. 

1 hour ago, Javi75 said:

My bad I forgot that I asked before, on a side note do you think C would be the first garage to completely replace all of its 1000s with the 8350s? There’s a lot to still come so it will be interesting to see the moves. 

I don't think any garage will, and especially not C if it is supposed to get electric buses, although it seems to have trouble keeping them on the street. Indications are that each garage will end up with about 150 Novas and 65 1000s. more or less, such as depending on how many artics and how many buses are OOS.  In that 74th only has 8000s (and maybe 8200s), it's probably due for some 8350s, too, but has been pointed out, the drivers need training.

On 12/11/2023 at 7:04 PM, jajuan said:

I see that a number of the 8350s have a feature I never noticed until encountering and riding the higher numbered ones assigned to K. When the buses make a full turn or make any other turning motion such as pulling over to or away from the curb, sensors on the bus detect parked vehicles or other obstructions near the curb and trigger a "Caution. Bus is approaching" warning. 

Cta is trying something to maybe update the flyers with that same system. Flyer 1606 at FG has that announcement when turning the wheel. 

9 hours ago, Run312 said:

Cta is trying something to maybe update the flyers with that same system. Flyer 1606 at FG has that announcement when turning the wheel. 

I guess it makes sense from the standpoint they'd eventually want the system to be universal and not just on the newest portion of the fleet. Besides when all 8350s that CTA authorizes for delivery get here they're only going to take up about a third of the fleet. 

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Brandon Johnson hogging a lot if new buses for his West Side neighborhoods.

Cta management wants the new nova’s on east and west routes that run into downtown. The flyers are always relegated to feeder routes or small trips. I’m surprised Chicago isn’t all nova yet 

8 minutes ago, Run312 said:

Cta management wants the new nova’s on east and west routes that run into downtown. The flyers are always relegated to feeder routes or small trips. I’m surprised Chicago isn’t all nova yet 

I think 8350s just aren't high capacity enough for the 66. I remember being on a weekday midday trip on a 1930-2029 and the bus was at capacity, so I wouldn't expect the novas to be able to handle that load.

10 hours ago, Run312 said:

Since when NP (other than 96 and 201) has mostly feeders or short routes? 151 or 155, and its share of 49 certainly aren't.

9 hours ago, Elkmn said:

I think 8350s just aren't high capacity enough for the 66. I remember being on a weekday midday trip on a 1930-2029 and the bus was at capacity, so I wouldn't expect the novas to be able to handle that load.

66 had artics, and except for a few trippers from K, had them pulled. 66 is supposed to have BEBs and now has 3 out of the 17 buses on 66.

My only conclusion is either CTA can't run its equipment or doesn't know what it wants to run.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

Since when NP (other than 96 and 201) has mostly feeders or short routes? 151 or 155, and its share of 49 certainly aren't.

North Park's heaviest routes outside of midday Clark runs and 36 are artics with NP having majority of the restyled ones/ a lot of higher numbered 4000s. I just check maths22 and 151 looks like they're going back to all artics with a few stray 40fts. The rest of the 40ft work is 11, rush hour 49,  50, 96, 97, 155 and 201 so we're talking majority trippers and short routes on that note. And since 22 is running 40fts midday you don't have them working as hard as the Artics during rush. NP is probably gonna get just enough novas to handle 22, 36 if you factor in your prediction of every garage keeping 65 flyers. 50 may not be short but seems like a light route for flyers and 65 would probably cover that route and the short routes they do have which only use like 2-4 buses each  🤷

14 hours ago, Run312 said:

66 is supposed to have BEBs and now has 3 out of the 17 buses on 66.

My only conclusion is either CTA can't run its equipment or doesn't know what it wants to run.

Maths shows 3 electrics as @Busjack said and a heavier amount of novas compared to flyers on 20 and 66 so it looks like they do want the newer equipment on east-west downtown routes like @Run312 

14 hours ago, Elkmn said:

66 had artics, and except for a few trippers from K, had them pulled. 

66 had a few frequency increases after artics were pulled before the COVID crisis which makes up for lack of higher capacity buses

15 hours ago, Run312 said:

My point is that the West side garages  are the only garages that fit that description.   K has the 12, 7, 124, and 126.  Maybe the 60 should be included  

C has the 157, 124, 20, 65, 66, and maybe the 70 and 72.  

F has the 56

103rd has the 28 and 7 has the 1, but those are primarily north south routes  that run East West  in downtown.  The south side garages generally run north south downtown, so while that plan works perfectly for the West side garages and the 56 ( F's only downtown route), it doesn't make sense overall.   But there's still another 300 to be delivered and all of them can't go to K and C.  And they all can't go downtown. 

16 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

My point is that the West side garages  are the only garages that fit that description.   K has the 12, 7, 124, and 126.  Maybe the 60 should be included  

C has the 157, 124, 20, 65, 66, and maybe the 70 and 72.  

F has the 56

103rd has the 28 and 7 has the 1, but those are primarily north south routes  that run East West  in downtown.  The south side garages generally run north south downtown, so while that plan works perfectly for the West side garages and the 56 ( F's only downtown route), it doesn't make sense overall.   But there's still another 300 to be delivered and all of them can't go to K and C.  And they all can't go downtown. 

Let's not leave out the J14 out of 103rd operating WB on Madison and EB on Washington in the Loop.