2022 Spring Pick

YoungBusLover

So with the Spring Pick of 2022 looming towards a projected start date of March 27/28th I recently got a good look at 77th's run guides and a few things jumped out to me as far as the major trunk routes are concerned. Last Trips on 79th will now start terminating at Ashland Instead of the usual Western-Red Line configuration weekdays only, the weekends remain untouched. I only saw a few Western-Red line trips still on there. Certain trips on Halsted will now begin short turning at Root during peak hours which is a major plus in my eyes with all the gaps I've seen during the current extended fall pick. School runs got a little bit of a nerf with more Part-timers transitioning over to Full-time. Cottage Grove is what really jumps out to me due to the fact that our relief point was finally moved away from 79th & Cottage Grove to now 71st and Cottage Grove. Complaints about Safety played a huge role in finally getting that done.  Outside of that nothing else really jumped out to me that would pose as a surprise. 

4 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So with the Spring Pick of 2022 looming towards a projected start date of March 27/28th I recently got a good look at 77th's run guides and a few things jumped out to me as far as the major trunk routes are concerned. Last Trips on 79th will now start terminating at Ashland Instead of the usual Western-Red Line configuration. I only saw a few Western-Red line trips still on there. Certain trips on Halsted will now begin short turning at Root during peak hours which is a major plus in my eyes with all the gaps I've seen during the current extended fall pick. School runs got a little bit of a nerf with more Part-timers transitioning over to Full-time. Cottage Grove is what really jumps out to me due to the fact that our relief point was finally moved away from 79th & Cottage Grove to now 71st and Cottage Grove. Complaints about Safety played a huge role in finally getting that done.  Outside of that nothing else really jumped out to me that would pose as a surprise. 

I thought Halsted already did root short turns

4 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I thought Halsted already did root short turns

During the pandemic they were cut from trips due to low ridership and haven't returned until now due to ridership creeping back up along with many complaints about the large service gaps during the last few months. It has been a handful out there. 

5 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

During the pandemic they were cut from trips due to low ridership and haven't returned until now due to ridership creeping back up along with many complaints about the large service gaps during the last few months. It has been a handful out there. 

Yeah those weren't as noticable as the Lasalle express and Lasalle Local reductions my bad lmao. So as far as 4 reliefs I'm guessing in exchange for reliving in front of the police station you guys are doing a red line/71 or 30 to your relief point? Good move cause 79th was crazy especially since pandemic meant no place to sit inside.

7 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah those weren't as noticable as the Lasalle express and Lasalle Local reductions my bad lmao. So as far as 4 reliefs I'm guessing in exchange for reliving in front of the police station you guys are doing a red line/71 or 30 to your relief point? Good move cause 79th was crazy especially since pandemic meant no place to sit inside.

A good chunk of operators really wanted the relief point at the 95th red line station while others wanted it to be moved either a block further North/South from 79th. It'll be interesting to see what happens but I think the relief point downtown should of been an option since there is a lot more to choose from down there as far as safety is concerned added that you have numerous restaurants and available restrooms. Not that many options at 71st though for a safe lunch break from the elements and or restroom.  Also to your point about the Short turns it wasn't as noticeable until everything began to open back up last year, CTA dropped the ball on that one waiting 6 months to late to reinstate the short turns.

53 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

A good chunk of operators really wanted the relief point at the 95th red line station while others wanted it to be moved either a block further North/South from 79th. It'll be interesting to see what happens but I think the relief point downtown should of been an option since there is a lot more to choose from down there as far as safety is concerned added that you have numerous restaurants and available restrooms. Not that many options at 71st though for a safe lunch break from the elements and or restroom.  Also to your point about the Short turns it wasn't as noticeable until everything began to open back up last year, CTA dropped the ball on that one waiting 6 months to late to reinstate the short turns.

So if they got their way with 95th was red line gonna be a new 4 terminal? I see your point on downtown seeing as when you add a transfer you might as well stay on the train and keep it one ride. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

So with the Spring Pick of 2022 looming towards a projected start date of March 27/28th I recently got a good look at 77th's run guides and a few things jumped out to me as far as the major trunk routes are concerned. Last Trips on 79th will now start terminating at Ashland Instead of the usual Western-Red Line configuration weekdays only, the weekends remain untouched. I only saw a few Western-Red line trips still on there. Certain trips on Halsted will now begin short turning at Root during peak hours which is a major plus in my eyes with all the gaps I've seen during the current extended fall pick. School runs got a little bit of a nerf with more Part-timers transitioning over to Full-time. Cottage Grove is what really jumps out to me due to the fact that our relief point was finally moved away from 79th & Cottage Grove to now 71st and Cottage Grove. Complaints about Safety played a huge role in finally getting that done.  Outside of that nothing else really jumped out to me that would pose as a surprise. 

The 2 things in your post that stood out to me were the 79rh trips terminating at Ashland and the Cottage Grove reliefs moving to 71sr. I an going to assume no routes are changing garages 

For u78th, trips ending at Ashland allows byses to use 76th to deadhead back to the garage instead of running to West and a short trip to Wentworth. This also helps West 79th as those trips in the p.m. rush that would have ended at the Rsd Line now alleviates the crowding on the WB  uses continuing past the Red. 

I would have thought 75th and Cottage Grove would have been a better option because the 75 provides a one SEAT ride from 79th Red Line or 75th and Vincennes to 75th and Cottage Grove.  

So runs on the 8 are going 79th-Root? Or Addison-Root? For either, why Root over Halsted Orange? Or is this for the 43?

I'm glad for the 4 drivers, although I would've picked 87th since there are more places to find a bathroom or something. Still, anything is better than 79th/Cottage, that should've been done years ago

6 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I would have thought 75th and Cottage Grove would have been a better option because the 75 provides a one SEAT ride from 79th Red Line or 75th and Vincennes to 75th and Cottage Grove.  

Might be because 75 is a 74th route, but then again, so is the 67, while the 87 is a 77th route. Now that you say this, I'm surprised it wasn't 76th with the way drivers like to speed their deadheads down the street.

12 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

So if they got their way with 95th was red line gonna be a new 4 terminal? I see your point on downtown seeing as when you add a transfer you might as well stay on the train and keep it one ride. 

I've been saying for years that this is an obvious reason to just move at least the 3, but the 4 as well to 95th. It's not like there's no space, and also facilitates west of 95th transfers. One of the reasons I advocated so strongly for a combined 95 was in part because of this 

How would a relief point downtown worked?

Just now, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've been saying for years that this is an obvious reason to just move at least the 3, but the 4 as well to 95th. It's not like there's no space, and also facilitates west of 95th transfers. One of the reasons I advocated so strongly for a combined 95 was in part because of this 

Same with 35, 39, 43 and 51. Hop on the red line 

7 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I'm surprised it wasn't 76th with the way drivers like to speed their deadheads down the street.

Since we're talking reliefs which require the quickest way without using a bus it would have to be 79th 75th or 71st. What you're thinking about works for drivers that are pulling the buses themselves in Instead of reliefs

Just now, Sam92 said:

Since we're talking reliefs which require the quickest way without using a bus it would have to be 79th 75th or 71st. What you're thinking about works for drivers that are pulling the buses themselves in Instead of reliefs

Ah, I figured some of the ones heading eastbound could've dropped a driver of on their way to South Shore dr

21 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

For u78th, trips ending at Ashland allows byses to use 76th to deadhead back to the garage instead of running to West and a short trip to Wentworth. This also helps West 79th as those trips in the p.m. rush that would have ended at the Rsd Line now alleviates the crowding on the WB  uses continuing past the Red. 

You have a good point but he said last so I'm assuming the late night runs that end at Wentworth although you also have eastbounds that end at red line itself which he could be referring to as well

I thought the spring picks in the night of March 25th 

48 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Yeah if things would of went the other direction just like the 31,43,51 & 87 reliefs would of been made at the 95th Red line terminal. 

44 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The 2 things in your post that stood out to me were the 79rh trips terminating at Ashland and the Cottage Grove reliefs moving to 71sr. I an going to assume no routes are changing garages 

I'm still surprised by this move but not entirely though. A good portion of people are mainly going to Ashland anyway and hardly anyone is going to Ford City since the hours have changed. It does hurt those coming from factory jobs west of Cicero though during the weekdays luckily the weekends have remained the same. I already know a lot of operators would of probably wanted a relief point at 75th & Cottage but the problem is the intervals of the 75. 

38 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Randolph storage my friend, normally there is a warming bus that sits at Randolph & Columbus until about 3 pm that will accommodate operators on Fall back. That bus normally comes off an early morning run from the 3.

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So runs on the 8 are going 79th-Root? Or Addison-Root? For either, why Root over Halsted Orange? Or is this for the 43?

I'm glad for the 4 drivers, although I would've picked 87th since there are more places to find a bathroom or something. Still, anything is better than 79th/Cottage, that should've been done years ago

Might be because 75 is a 74th route, but then again, so is the 67, while the 87 is a 77th route. Now that you say this, I'm surprised it wasn't 76th with the way drivers like to speed their deadheads down the street.

Just like the old configuration trips from Waveland/Divison will head to Root and reverse back NB. It's only a handful of trips that will do that. Others will start at Randolph and Halsted that will head towards 79th and reverse back NB.