2022 Spring Pick

YoungBusLover

On 3/8/2022 at 1:03 PM, YoungBusLover said:

You're correct.

The other reason is potential liability. If you are riding a bus to the relief point and something happens and you get hurt, the CTA is covered as far as liability, namely workmans comp. You are doing this per official policy. If you drive and get in a wreck, now you are out of policy, so who is responsible? You could sue CTA as you are on the clock, but since you are doing something you are not supposed to, we have a lawsuit here.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, andrethebusman said:

The other reason is potential liability. If you are riding a bus to the relief point and something happens and you get hurt, the CTA is covered as far as liability, namely workmans comp. You are doing this per official policy. If you drive and get in a wreck, now you are out of policy, so who is responsible? You could sue CTA as you are on the clock, but since you are doing something you are not supposed to, we have a lawsuit here.

You nailed it, CTA wants to cover themselves at all cost and doesn't want any unnecessary liabilities to arise in the case of something going wrong with the operator not following policies and protocols.   

In my opinion, they need to bring 85A Sunday service in. I use 85A as my direct link to Niles and to Peterson from Jefferson Park, and now with the fact that I am occupied weekdays and Saturday's, with Sunday being my only free day, 85A doesn't even run. I wish these picks would bring better service for us, like bring 85A to Sunday's so I don't have to take multiple buses to get to those routes (or walk without sidewalks to Peterson)

6 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

In my opinion, they need to bring 85A Sunday service in. I use 85A as my direct link to Niles and to Peterson from Jefferson Park, and now with the fact that I am occupied weekdays and Saturday's, with Sunday being my only free day, 85A doesn't even run. I wish these picks would bring better service for us, like bring 85A to Sunday's so I don't have to take multiple buses to get to those routes (or walk without sidewalks to Peterson)

Doesn't Pace serve North Central to Peterson? Or at least an adjacent street that runs NB to Peterson? The reason why the 85A doesn't run on Sundays is the same as the 31 or 59 not running weekends/Sundays. The ridership isn't there for it to be a sufficient money maker. 

2 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Doesn't Pace serve North Central to Peterson? Or at least an adjacent street that runs NB to Peterson? The reason why the 85A doesn't run on Sundays is the same as the 31 or 59 not running weekends/Sundays. The ridership isn't there for it to be a sufficient money maker. 

no pace buses run on central on weekends the 225/226 are weekdays only 

16 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

As with the 59/61st bus dont run on Sundays didnt know that

I've never understood a bus that runs on Saturdays but not Sundays. Functionally the same day AFAIC.

There being no NB service from Jeff Pk other than Milwaukee & NW Pkwy seems like a glaring error. Not even something minor like extending the 84 or 85, wow. Seems really hard to go north of Foster once you get west of Kimball

37 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've never understood a bus that runs on Saturdays but not Sundays. Functionally the same day ...

Most Pace routes are that way. Only the heavy ridership routes run on Sunday, as most of the demand on other routes dried up on the weekend. 225 has always been to serve the Howard industrial corridor.

On the other hand, the CTA restoration discussions indicate that Saturday and Sunday are about the same. The problem with 85A is that an Optima was overkill, but they didn't run out of FG for very long. Although CTA is not in the On Demand business, it could be argued that a lot of the areaa NW of Jefferson Park could be run on that basis. For instance, CTA gave up on 56A and 90N, as existing Pace service was adequate.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Busjack said:

Most Pace routes are that way. Only the heavy ridership routes run on Sunday, as most of the demand on other routes dried up on the weekend. 225 has always been to serve the Howard industrial corridor.

On the other hand, the CTA restoration discussions indicate that Saturday and Sunday are about the same. The problem with 85A is that an Optima was overkill, but they didn't run out of FG for very long. Although CTA is not in the On Demand business, it could be argued that a lot of the areaa NW of Jefferson Park could be run on that basis. For instance, CTA gave up on 56A and 90N, as existing Pace service was adequate.

You cant say that about the #68 when taft gets out. One day I had the pleasure of coming through there then. Bus gets packed.

47 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

You cant say that about the #68 when taft gets out. One day I had the pleasure of coming through there then. Bus gets packed.

School runs are always exempt, for instance when Pace cut 240 and 241, but not the school runs or the North Shore Coordination Plan  proposed cutting 210 and 421, but adding school trips to other route numbers. But it is hard to argue that that part of Chicago doesn't have suburban characteristics.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

School runs are always exempt, for instance when Pace cut 240 and 241, but not the school runs or the North Shore Coordination Plan  proposed cutting 210 and 421, but adding school trips to other route numbers. But it is hard to argue that that part of Chicago doesn't have suburban characteristics.

#56A would do rather well in the rush cause the #270 ran express up and down milwaukee. The #88 does well in segments. Resurrection hs helped out alot with ridership. You would get heavy pockets at jeff pk and harlem boarding. Why get on at jeff if your on the train and want to go to canfield??? 

You know I cant help but wonder if some routes will be eliminated with RLE. Whats the real question is what do you do with #34. That has good ridership. Do you still go to 95th or run the #29 further south?

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

#56A would do rather well in the rush cause the #270 ran express up and down milwaukee. The #88 does well in segments. Resurrection hs helped out alot with ridership. You would get heavy pockets at jeff pk and harlem boarding. Why get on at jeff if your on the train and want to go to canfield??? 

You know I cant help but wonder if some routes will be eliminated with RLE. Whats the real question is what do you do with #34. That has good ridership. Do you still go to 95th or run the #29 further south?

34 still remains as a local just like 29 and possibly extended on the south end to the station since part of the extension is further west. Making 29 go further would kill performance. 112 and 108 go bye bye, with the west end of 112 merged with 111. 352 is questionable since the reports said that it would be sent to 115th while other place routes to 130th but pace wants to make it a pulse route now. 119 becomes a 119 119th ending at 115th. This is all based on what I remember from a report on the rle page 

• Upvote 4

On 3/7/2022 at 2:00 PM, YoungBusLover said:

So with the Spring Pick of 2022 looming towards a projected start date of March 27/28th I recently got a good look at 77th's run guides and a few things jumped out to me as far as the major trunk routes are concerned. Last Trips on 79th will now start terminating at Ashland Instead of the usual Western-Red Line configuration weekdays only, the weekends remain untouched. I only saw a few Western-Red line trips still on there. Certain trips on Halsted will now begin short turning at Root during peak hours which is a major plus in my eyes with all the gaps I've seen during the current extended fall pick. School runs got a little bit of a nerf with more Part-timers transitioning over to Full-time. Cottage Grove is what really jumps out to me due to the fact that our relief point was finally moved away from 79th & Cottage Grove to now 71st and Cottage Grove. Complaints about Safety played a huge role in finally getting that done.  Outside of that nothing else really jumped out to me that would pose as a surprise. 

Wonder why the new schedules are not posted yet on the CTA web site. Usually under up coming schedule changes.

On 3/15/2022 at 1:00 PM, BusHunter said:

Even with 270X in the early 00's (before North Shore Restructuring in 2004), the 56A just covered the skipped stops that 270X and Pulse is doing now. No use reimagining a defunct route with that much duplicity. It almost assumes that 209 and 88 won't be merged due to separate markets and directions; 68 and 88 are fine as coverage routes from the Jeff.

Prediction (Re: Red Line South) - The crosstown routes will probably see the most changes along with the 34, which would be retained anyway.

On 3/15/2022 at 11:59 AM, Busjack said:

When 240 and 241 were "adjusted" to peak hours only, it was to make sure some of the seniors during the shoulder periods in Park Ridge and the students at Maine East/South, Res, and Notre Dame had transit to get from some of the North Shore. Same with the result of the North Shore phase 1 - the suburban high schools found a value to use Pace Buses for whatever student demand is coming from respective areas.

88 fills in some of the NW Side demand (even for Taft) with the students.

Suffice to say, most of the NW Side routes (and the Midway ones) would be better candidates for on-demand, only if the passenger cost per hour could be covered effectively. 

On 3/15/2022 at 11:03 AM, BusHunter said:

Riding a short bus on the 68 is just asking for it (I think those and the 91 trips were always 40')