Better Streets For Buses

Mr.NewFlyer1051

4 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

CTA tweeted this this morning on their twitter i find it really interesting to read about

https://betterstreetsforbuses.com

it's interesting. but the only question is if CDOT is going to do something this time. The corridors are basically the same backbone network,  and there was the prior wrangling over how hard it is to install TSP in Chicago with all the obsolete wiring. A few bump outs aren't going to accomplish much.

• 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Related, Lightfoot now wants an ordinance called "Smart Streets" to use CTA bus cameras and other cameras to ticket cars that block bus lanes, bike lanes. crosswalks or loading zones (Sun-Times).

That a be a good idea cause the city going to get alot of tickets due to their law breaking officers parking in bus stop zones on 63rd & cottage on Harrison & kedize & all over the city even crook County gone get tickets due to their gangmembers parking in the bus stop zone at their post on chicago & loreal 

48 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

That a be a good idea cause the city going to get alot of tickets due to their law breaking officers parking in bus stop zones on 63rd & cottage on Harrison & kedize & all over the city even crook County gone get tickets due to their gangmembers parking in the bus stop zone at their post on chicago & loreal 

There was a reference in the article to

Christina Whitehouse, founder of the advocacy group Bike Lane Uprising, said ... "City officials and employees are the “most egregious” offenders.."

However, since the ticket would go to the owner rather than the unknown driver, the city would be ticketing itself, unless it also implemented a disciplinary system.

• 10 months later...
5 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Maybe CTA will consider these important corridors to add service to.

In that some corridors appear to be defined by bus routes (i.e, North DLSD includes Marine Dr. and Inner LSD, S. Michigan includes Indiana), and the routes on those corridors are indicated (including Pace 352 and 381, which Pace plans to make Pulse), this seems more an effort to get existing buses through more efficiently.

Back to the issue of artics, I don't see how bump-outs help them, at least on leaving the bus.

On the "lot lot of these treatments are already being considered in most CDOT projects" point, it noted "queue jump lanes on Clark Street to be installed as part of other streetscape improvements; and bus boarding islands along Milwaukee Avenue and Laramie Avenue."

5 hours ago, Busjack said:

CTA Press Release pointing to the Better Streets for Buses website. Basically, though, it is a toolbox of known treatments, and certain corridors get priority consideration.

18 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

We'll see if anything actually comes of this. A lot of these treatments are already being considered in most CDOT projects. Can't imagine this results in anything material like BRT. Maybe CTA will consider these important corridors to add service to.

8 minutes ago, Busjack said:

In that some corridors appear to be defined by bus routes (i.e, North DLSD includes Marine Dr. and Inner LSD, S. Michigan includes Indiana), and the routes on those corridors are indicated (including Pace 352 and 381, which Pace plans to make Pulse), this seems more an effort to get existing buses through more efficiently.

Back to the issue of artics, I don't see how bump-outs help them, at least on leaving the bus.

On the "lot lot of these treatments are already being considered in most CDOT projects" point, it noted "queue jump lanes on Clark Street to be installed as part of other streetscape improvements; and bus boarding islands along Milwaukee Avenue and Laramie Avenue."

Well the work that's already been done on 79th does seem to help at the dan Ryan. Chicago I need to sit downtown more and observe before I speak on the improvements between Michigan and Ogden. Milwaukee's boarding islands seem like straight overkill because there's no lane for traffic to pass. So one bus with a long dwell Is basically holding up every bus behind it. I can see bump outs working on maybe western and south Halsted seeing as they are multi lane stretches. Personally on all the narrower streets I would focus on putting queue jumps where ever they make sense and calling it a day. You can't do anything else on these stretches without holding up the street which could potentially lead to impatient drivers (and accidents resulting from the road rage and rushing to get around). 

34 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

We've an update here (including the document enclosed).. Very few mentions of Pulse, and BRT seems to be downplayed for "further discussion"

I got a "AccessDeniedRequest has expired" message.

It's not surprising that Pulse isn't mentioned, as it is a Pace project, but at least CTA and CDOT are cooperating on Halsted and 95th.