Possible Weird Bus Sightings

jesi2282

This might be in the wrong spot but last night [1/27/08] I saw what appeared to be a 40 foot NABI high floor northbound on Lake Shore Dr around Monroe. The bus was white and didn't have any lettering on it that I could see. I was driving so I couldn't get a second look. Anyone have any ideas whose bus it was?

I have the answer, sort of. This bus is running Northwestern campus shuttles. I saw the bus at Hollywood and Lake Shore, then spent the better part of the next 3 miles trying to catch up with it. It is too new to be an old Pace Ikarus. The back window has the same design as the old Flyers and it has newer Alcoa wheels (unlike the Ikarus) and the destination sign is much wider and taller than those on the Ikaraus buses.

Funny thing about this, I saw the same bus 3 times today, once headed downtown midday, then when I was headed up to Evanston tonight, it was headed southbound on Sheridan at Loyola, and finally it was parked on a street in downtown Evanston around 10pm. I had noticed the operator stenciled on the side, but travelling at 40+ MPH I couldn't write it down and after awhile couldn't remember the carrier name. I did see a MCI type coach from the same carrier later on headed southward this evening...so whoever the carrier is that is doing the Northwestern Shuttles (in place of Pace 426) that is who owns the bus (or buses). Definitely a high floor bus !!!!!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the answer, sort of. This bus is running Northwestern campus shuttles. ... The back window has the same design as the old Flyers and it has newer Alcoa wheels (unlike the Ikarus) and the destination sign is much wider and taller than those on the Ikaraus buses.

.... I had noticed the operator stenciled on the side, but travelling at 40+ MPH I couldn't write it down and after awhile couldn't remember the carrier name. ...

The quick Google found the announcement on the Northwestern U. site, which says "Shuttle America (formerly Royal American)." Another find from The Daily Northwestern of 9/24/07 indicates that "students can expect a new fleet of buses early next year."

Looking at Royal American's site, it looks like they are one of the surviving parts of Van der Aa (Vancom, later Laidlaw, now First, would be another), and Van der Aa still owns it. Another part of the site indicates that they acquired Robinson Coach, and are maintaining Robinson's garage in Evanston, so that would explain how a Lansing company can serve NU.

See also this Northwestern Press Release indicating that NU didn't like that the Pace bus would stop anywhere. That certainly wasn't the impression given by the 426 schedule. Also, the Daily Northwestern indicated that the private shuttle costs more. This reinforces what was said about this and the 154--they may be technically public routes, but it is questionable whether the taxpayers should be subsidizing what appears to the public to be charter operations.

As far as it looking like an Ikarus, basically an Ikarus looked like most European buses of the time. I thought the Ikarus buses were Neoplans without logos, but the rears are different. Also, it would be unusual for one of those buses not to have the air conditioner vents on the back.

There is also a misrepresentation on its Motor Coach page "PREVOST is the "Mercedes Benz" of highway motorcoaches." Nope, Setra is. That is like saying that the Lexus 450 is the Cadillac of SUVs.

As far as it looking like an Ikarus, basically an Ikarus looked like most European buses of the time. I thought the Ikarus buses were Neoplans without logos, but the rears are different. Also, it would be unusual for one of those buses not to have the air conditioner vents on the back.

There were definitely no a/c vents on the back...it was a window. Also, the front looked like an Ikarus/NABI. The side passenger windows actually looked like Orion I windows. From an appearance standard, it is a good looking bus. If I see this thing today going downtown and I can get my camera phone poised I'll take a snap, as long as I don't send the truck into a tree while I am doing it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have the answer, sort of. This bus is running Northwestern campus shuttles. I saw the bus at Hollywood and Lake Shore, then spent the better part of the next 3 miles trying to catch up with it. It is too new to be an old Pace Ikarus. The back window has the same design as the old Flyers and it has newer Alcoa wheels (unlike the Ikarus) and the destination sign is much wider and taller than those on the Ikaraus buses.

Funny thing about this, I saw the same bus 3 times today, once headed downtown midday, then when I was headed up to Evanston tonight, it was headed southbound on Sheridan at Loyola, and finally it was parked on a street in downtown Evanston around 10pm. I had noticed the operator stenciled on the side, but travelling at 40+ MPH I couldn't write it down and after awhile couldn't remember the carrier name. I did see a MCI type coach from the same carrier later on headed southward this evening...so whoever the carrier is that is doing the Northwestern Shuttles (in place of Pace 426) that is who owns the bus (or buses). Definitely a high floor bus !!!!!

I saw both buses that have been mentioned to have been seen on the downtown Northwestern U shuttles. The southbound 147 I was on was behind the Shuttle America bus and the all white bus with no lettering that looked like a NABI was going northbound on Sheridan passing Bryn Mawr. It did have a green digital destination sign. It read "NORTHWESTERN".

I saw one of those white NABIs the other day. Electronic destination sign read to "OLGILVIE" (sic) station. I've also seen some white school-bus-type shuttle bus with a sign (not electronic) that said to "OLGILVIE" station.

I've seen them parked at the Loyola campus at Sheridan and Devon. There are a few of the schoolbuses, and at least two of the NABIs.

There were definitely no a/c vents on the back...it was a window. Also, the front looked like an Ikarus/NABI. The side passenger windows actually looked like Orion I windows. From an appearance standard, it is a good looking bus. If I see this thing today going downtown and I can get my camera phone poised I'll take a snap, as long as I don't send the truck into a tree while I am doing it.

I got a couple of pics of one of these buses today. Sorry about the quality, I did it while doing 45 on the Outer Drive, and couldn't get the front. But I did get both sides and the back.

post-17-1202797613_thumb.jpgpost-17-1202797623_thumb.jpg

Another thing I also noticed over the past few days, is that there is an air vent inside of the back window...you cannot see out the back window from the inside.

Too bad you didn't get the front. Talk about generic bus! The only real indication of its origin might be the bump out at the top of the rear, but most NABIs have them only around the route number. Definitely a transit bus, though, and not their custom schoolbus.

Too bad you didn't get the front. Talk about generic bus! The only real indication of its origin might be the bump out at the top of the rear, but most NABIs have them only around the route number. Definitely a transit bus, though, and not their custom schoolbus.

I was on the 11 Lincoln/Sedgwick yesterday, and I saw the front. Couldn't get a picture because my iPhone was out of battery, but I saw the NABI sign. There are two, and they are definitely NABIs.

Google Images would confirm that. See this image including the rear of an AC Transit bus; this one of a front.

The pic you show is a low floor. These buses are definitely high floor. The front really looks like an old Ikarus, but the destination sign is a tad larger...not quite as large as the one in your pic demo. Also, I was looking for a NABI plate, front or back, but there was none. I tried to take a pic over my shoulder while I was driving (not too bright), but it just didn't work.

What's really annoying is when you're expecting a NABI on the 156, and a 5300 shows up. Not that I dislike 5300s, but I expect to be moving more quickly than a 5300 can acually run.

Also Kedzie apparently only assigns NABIs to the 151 on Saturdays. Today, all the Kedzie 151s I saw were New Flyers. Mostly 800s/900s, but a few 1000s.

What's really annoying is when you're expecting a NABI on the 156, and a 5300 shows up. Not that I dislike 5300s, but I expect to be moving more quickly than a 5300 can acually run.

Ha Ha, I love 5300s but its pretty hilarious for 5300s operating on 156. One time about few weeks ago I've spotted 4700s operating #156 at Belmont/Halsted.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw one of those white NABIs the other day. Electronic destination sign read to "OLGILVIE" (sic) station. I've also seen some white school-bus-type shuttle bus with a sign (not electronic) that said to "OLGILVIE" station.

These buses are being painted now. They are showing the company name on them (Free Enterprise System), and some now look a little like the Seattle color scheme with brown and yellow/gold striping on them.

These buses are being painted now. They are showing the company name on them (Free Enterprise System), and some now look a little like the Seattle color scheme with brown and yellow/gold striping on them.

I saw one with Free Enterprise System on it this Wednesday.

I thought that company was located somewhere in Kentucky.

Chicago would be a long way from home...