Possible Weird Bus Sightings

jesi2282

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does Anyone know if there is gonna be any weird sightings on route #72 or any other routes this weekend due to the Air & Water Show?

I'm not sure if you can make any predictions BEFORE the event happens, but I truely don't expect any changes. Just more 72's and 151's, and their garages can sure handle the crowd.

I would think so. Look for NABI's on Route 29. Look for additional 124's. If there were Archer buses operating on 66 for Tall Ships, look for a lot of similar operations on 65 and 66. And with the geniuses who put buses in service, look for no Artics on the 151 (ha ha....only kidding). I am sure there will be additional Kedzie Artics on the 151. Which brings a question to mind....why not Artics on the 124 for big events like this. I guess that would make too much sense.

• 4 months later...

Yesterday, on my way to Union Station in the AM rush hour, I noticed several Archer Novas on the 135 route. They were Archer Novas with a run number beginning with "1".

Actually, 135 is run out of North Park (the run number should begin with "P") -- but the "1" as the first character in the run number signifies a run from the 103rd Garage. Thus, the Novas are likely fill-ins.

Yesterday, on my way to Union Station in the AM rush hour, I noticed several Archer Novas on the 135 route. They were Archer Novas with a run number beginning with "1".

Especially odd, since if really on 135, that would be a North Park run (see the post on Garage Assignments).

But I just found it weird (and worse, confusing) that a route that far north from a garage would use such buses.

North Park isn't that far north: It's located near Kedzie and Balmoral (about halfway between Foster and Bryn Mawr). In fact, it's actually closer to the north terminal of route 135 than Kedzie Garage is to the south terminal of that same route.

North Park isn't that far north:  It's located near Kedzie and Balmoral (about halfway between Foster and Bryn Mawr). In fact, it's actually closer to the north terminal of route 135 than Kedzie Garage is to the south terminal of that same route.

You missed the point. The reference was to an Archer bus with a 103 run number on a North Park route. No one would be questioning if the normal sequence of a 7600 with a P tag was seen running on 135.

My reference to whether it really was a 135 was that 121 and 123 run out of Union Station from 103rd, which might explain the run number, but it isn't too likely that a 103 bus would run up to Montrose. But again, with the "real men of genius" in charge...

This evening around 5:00pm I saw a Novabus #66xx on route 62 southbound at State and Van Buren (I was on the Library platform awaiting the Purple Line train). What makes this Nova weird was that the front doors were white. The rest of the bus appeared to be the as delivered livery.

I consider it to be an improvement.

Gene

That particular Nova was transfered to Archer garage from Chicago. There are a few subtle differences between Novas delivered to Chicago garage and Archer. The font for the bus number and placement inside is different for some reason.

That door is a strange sight. I also happened to see and ride the bus today. It looks like a quickly done repair job.

• 2 weeks later...

Last Tuesday, I saw 1218 eastbound on Roosevelt heading toward Ashland to possibly begin a run as a northbound X9 Ashland Express. It had that designation on its destination sign and run number of K297. And before anyone says it probably had the wrong sign it wasn't taking any passenger on Roosevelt.

Last Tuesday, I saw 1218 eastbound on Roosevelt heading toward Ashland to possibly begin a run as a northbound X9 Ashland Express. It had that designation on its destination sign and run number of K297. And before anyone says it probably had the wrong sign it wasn't taking any passenger on Roosevelt.
You may have explained the sporadic sightings of other Kedzie buses on Ashland mentioned in And the next garage to get New Flyers is, among other places. Especially since they don't seem to want to give 74th more buses.

I don't know if this is "weird" but recently I've noticed an Archer Garage Nova [run # Annn] doing a #151 Sheridan northbound at Jackson and State headed to Clark and Devon. This is in the morning roughly between 6:40am and 6:55am. I know about "K" buses going to Belmont during the day but I wasn't aware of this. I saw this today and twice previously within the last 2 weeks.

That particular Nova was transfered to Archer garage from Chicago. There are a few subtle differences between Novas delivered to Chicago garage and Archer. The font for the bus number and placement inside is different for some reason.

That door is a strange sight. I also happened to see and ride the bus today. It looks like a quickly done repair job.

I forgot to mention that on 2/1/07 around 8:00pm or so I rode a 5xxx Flxible westbound on #70 Division and it's front doors were white also. Interesting....

• 3 weeks later...

I have a hypothesis about these crazy Archer runs ending up as 135's:

Bus starts out as a 49 or a 62, travels northbound to destination:

- 62 becomes some form of a northbound run, or deadheads north to Belmont or Montrose.

- 49 travels to Berwyn, then resets to become a 135.

- 49 travels to Berwyn, then resets to become a 135 further north.
Technically, that would be further south, as 135 ends at Wilson.

Does seem like the days of the one garage per route may be ending, especially since with the L construction, they need more buses on the North side.