CTA Bus Vision Project

Tcmetro

12 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I'm not using a garage to dictate a route moreso bringing a useful generator.

They aren't. Population and employment centers are. By that logic, Edgebrook and Norwood Park should have a lot more service, because they are near FG, which, after clearing the land, is holding a lot more buses, It doesn't work that way.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

They aren't. Population and employment centers are. By that logic, Edgebrook and Norwood Park should have a lot more service, because they are near FG, which, after clearing the land, is holding a lot more buses, It doesn't work that way.

I phrased that wrong. I meant easing garage assignments while routing through generators via 31st; I mentioned 77th being used to supply buses cause I forgot 134 and 156 lost enough to cover the 23 which would probably need 8 buses if routed to somewhere useful cause IMD to just west Loop is covered by Pink. I'd say if not via 31st then just restore the whole route since it would help Bridgeport-UIC riders and put them more in the middle of UIC plus walking distance to the IMD. Plus anyone working near Racine in the West loop that lives in Bridgeport now has a closer connection. 

23 Morgan-Racine would be a great bus to bring back. Running from Chicago Blue Line (or maybe the future Fulton Market Metra) through UIC to Pilsen and Bridgeport strikes me as a route that would have decent ridership. Maybe tie it into the 43 on the south end so that it's not too short.

20 minutes ago, Rail Introvert said:

Nobody's gonna agree with this idea, but how about 43 43rd/Racine between Racine/87th & Oakenwald/42nd Place.

I proposed that a while back. Cutting 44 back north of 47th. 

• Upvote 1

I proposed that the 43 43rd should be extended south to 47th/Lake Park to connect with the 2 Hyde Park Express,  6 Jackson Park Express, 28 Stony Island, 47 47th buses and the Metra Electric Kenwood Station.

Also the 28 Stony Island (local) and the 43 43rd should become one route.

6 hours ago, renardo870 said:

I proposed that the 43 43rd should be extended south to 47th/Lake Park to connect with the 2 Hyde Park Express,  6 Jackson Park Express, 28 Stony Island, 47 47th buses and the Metra Electric Kenwood Station.

Also the 28 Stony Island (local) and the 43 43rd should become one route.

You did that before, and didn't justify it. Anyway, for this topic, the suggestions should be limited by those caused by COVID population or employment shifts. Now, if someone is building a hospital at 43rd and Ellis, or an Amazon fulfillment center, that would qualify.

On 7/17/2024 at 1:06 PM, Sam92 said:

IMD to West loop Is probably taken care of by the Pink line

I forgot that Morgan was both a Green and Pink Line station. But on new development, this article mentions not only the 170 N. May-175 N. Racine proposal, but also a proposal at Morgan and Jackson, which is on the same north-south axis, but not served by the Pink Line.

On 7/17/2024 at 11:55 PM, Tcmetro said:

23 Morgan-Racine would be a great bus to bring back. Running from Chicago Blue Line (or maybe the future Fulton Market Metra) through UIC to Pilsen and Bridgeport strikes me as a route that would have decent ridership. Maybe tie it into the 43 on the south end so that it's not too short.

I'm starting to see that, but see above my view of the subsequent 43 discussion. However, the Bridgeport connection could be to the Halsted Orange Line station (apparently would have to use Loomis St. bridge), and for those with garage compulsions, 44 Wallace Racine could be interlined with it (or just extend 44).

Also could interline with the 31 from off of Loomis with this Racine route and lose only about 2 blocks of 31st st running. The few times I've gotten on 31 at the orange line there were less then 5 riders even at pm rush times and I don't imagine a lot of westbound traffic going to the train so losing the orange line terminus wouldn't be a big loss.

2 hours ago, dailycommuter62 said:

Also could interline with the 31 from off of Loomis with this Racine route and lose only about 2 blocks of 31st st running. The few times I've gotten on 31 at the orange line there were less then 5 riders even at pm rush times and I don't imagine a lot of westbound traffic going to the train so losing the orange line terminus wouldn't be a big loss.

No reason why it couldn't double back 2 blocks via Archer.  Station provides a transfer point, driver's rest room, and a connection between the Orange Line, West Loop, and (per @Tcmetro's post) the Blue Line and West Town.

I'd like to see the 55 Garfield change the way it goes through Washington Park & instead of the current route which takes it along Morgan, Rainey & Payne Drives to 55th, instead stay on Morgan to 57th, then on Cottage Grove back to 55th.

The reason is simple, the University of Chicago Hospital is the first or second largest in the city & has exactly one bus route serving it, unlike Northwestern Hospital in Streeterville with a few routes going there.  The one way rush hour only 192 doesn't really count, as it's actually for the employees, not the patients.

Stopping at 57th & Cottage Grove would make it far easier to get to, that waiting for the 4 Cottage Grove at 55th for that short trip to the hospital for the elderly & disabled that go there.  As it currently runs, due to the way Morgan curves through the park, the bus is already at 56th St., so that extra block wouldn't add much to the run times.

1.) They should bring in some OWL service for buses north of Lawrence. I know some people that suggest that the 155 - Devon should offer overnight service along the route. Given it used to have OWL service (like a long time ago), I can see that. But I believe there would be need be enough demand for restoration of OWL service on the 155. Another suggestion was extending service west of Kedzie to as far as Central Ave or Milwaukee Ave but I don’t think there much say and/or need for bus service along Devon past Kedzie.

2.) With the opening of the Peterson/Ridge Metra Station, the 84 - Peterson could possibly be given some extended service hours along Peterson Ave to accommodate commuters to/from the station after the bus route’s current service hours, especially during the mid-late evening hours.

3.) 31 - 31st could be given extended hours on weekdays & perhaps a pilot run for Saturday service. For weekdays, start & end a little earlier & later, like 5:30am-6:00am to 8pm with increased frequency during peak-hours. Saturday service operating from 7am-8am to about 6pm with 30-minute frequency. It would give riders/residents living along 31st Street transit access on Saturdays, like those senior citizens needing to get to the shopping center on 33rd & Rhodes or IIT students with Saturday classes.

4.) 53 - Pulaski could have its northern terminus point adjusted to extend from Pulaski/Peterson to Devon/Kedzie via Pulaski and Devon to Kedzie. Giving a new connection to CTA routes 11, 82, 96 & 155 and Pace route 210.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

I'd like to see the 55 Garfield change the way it goes through Washington Park & instead of the current route which takes it along Morgan, Rainey & Payne Drives to 55th, instead stay on Morgan to 57th, then on Cottage Grove back to 55th.

The reason is simple, the University of Chicago Hospital is the first or second largest in the city & has exactly one bus route serving it, unlike Northwestern Hospital in Streeterville with a few routes going there.  The one way rush hour only 192 doesn't really count, as it's actually for the employees, not the patients.

Stopping at 57th & Cottage Grove would make it far easier to get to, that waiting for the 4 Cottage Grove at 55th for that short trip to the hospital for the elderly & disabled that go there.  As it currently runs, due to the way Morgan curves through the park, the bus is already at 56th St., so that extra block wouldn't add much to the run times.

Maybe bring back the 174, which ran between the University via 57th and the Garfield Red Line station.   In its original iteration it only ran in the evening and was eliminated due to low ridership.   If the University of Chicago is willing to pay for a pilot for daytime service,  CTA might be willing to give it a try. 

The nice thing about the current 55 is the speed of the route from Hyde Park to the Green Line and the Red Line.   Diverting over to 57th and Cottage Grove slowa the route down.  Plus your argument seems hypocritical since you complained about a one block walk on the X4 to the same hospital.   So if one block makes that big enough difference,  then just let the 55 use Cottage Grove between 55th and Midway Plaisance.   Unfortunately this would slow down the route even more.  Maybe passengers can take the 4 for 3 blocks to Garfield like they have been doing and transfer to the 45.  Right now it's better to buy a one day pass if yoy are traveling round trip.  If seniors have the free RTA pass, then it really doesn't matter how many times they transfer. 

10 hours ago, strictures said:

That is a traffic nightmare during certain portions of the day over there by 57th/Cottage Grove, if anything bring back the 170/174 and the very least combine them both while using the routing that you described. 

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

if anything bring back the 170/174 and the very least combine them both while using the routing that you described. 

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Maybe bring back the 174, which ran between the University via 57th and the Garfield Red Line station.   In its original iteration it only ran in the evening and was eliminated due to low ridership.   If the University of Chicago is willing to pay for a pilot for daytime service,  CTA might be willing to give it a try. 

No need for that, as U of C has its shuttle contractor run essentially that route. See the U Go page; Red Line-Arts Block route.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The nice thing about the current 55 is the speed of the route from Hyde Park to the Green Line and the Red Line.   Diverting over to 57th and Cottage Grove slowa the route down.  Plus your argument seems hypocritical since you complained about a one block walk on the X4 to the same hospital.   So if one block makes that big enough difference,  then just let the 55 use Cottage Grove between 55th and Midway Plaisance.   Unfortunately this would slow down the route even more.  Maybe passengers can take the 4 for 3 blocks to Garfield like they have been doing and transfer to the 45.  Right now it's better to buy a one day pass if yoy are traveling round trip.  If seniors have the free RTA pass, then it really doesn't matter how many times they transfer. 

I'm not being hypocritical, I was complaining about having the X4 stop where no one was using that stop, because there was nothing there at 59th & Cottage Grove.  No university or hospital buildings & no connecting E/W bus transfer there!  Everything was & is at 58th St.

27 minutes ago, strictures said:

I'm not being hypocritical, I was complaining about having the X4 stop where no one was using that stop, because there was nothing there at 59th & Cottage Grove.  No university or hospital buildings & no connecting E/W bus transfer there!  Everything was & is at 58th St.

My point is that a one block walk is a one block walk, whether it's from 59th or 57th.   In the case of the Cottage Grove route, it's not like the 4 didn't stop there ( at 58th).  But the X4 does now.

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

My point is that a one block walk is a one block walk, whether it's from 59th or 57th.   In the case of the Cottage Grove route, it's not like the 4 didn't stop there ( at 58th).  But the X4 does now.

I agree with @strictures's point in that the ridership generator is the medical center. People still would have to walk to Maryland or Drexel. There essentially isn't anything at 59th in that the hospitals have moved out of Billlings, Wyler, and Lying-In buildings, and the major bus transfer point is 55th (as well as a transfer point at 61st).

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Rail Introvert said:

How about having either 135 Clarendon/La Salle Express, 148 Clarendon/Michigan Express, or both routes begin/terminate by Lawrence/Ravenswood, serving the Ravenswood Metra Station"

• 145 and 148 used to terminate at Wilson/Ravenswood or Lawrence/Damen until the Crowd Reduction Plan, when all of the legacy Boulevard System routes were taken off Wilson. 156 had been cut back from Wilson/Ravenswood  to Belmont earlier.
  • "[I] in case anybody from the north suburbs work downtown," they can stay on Metra.

My prior point was that if development has moved from LaSalle to Fulton Market, some LaSalle bus route should accordingly be moved. My other suggestion that maybe the 127 Circulator should come back  would better address my second bullet point.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rail Introvert said:

How about having either 135 Clarendon/La Salle Express, 148 Clarendon/Michigan Express, or both routes begin/terminate by Lawrence/Ravenswood, serving the Ravenswood Metra Station in case anybody from the north suburbs work downtown.

The Ravenswood Metra Station, originally the C&NW Ravenswood station was at Wilson until the 1970s or 1980s, when the C&NW moved it to Lawrence, so it would be next to their building at the NE corner of Lawrence & Ravenswood which housed a number of the railway's offices.  That's why those bus routes had their terminals there.

7 hours ago, strictures said:

The Ravenswood Metra Station, originally the C&NW Ravenswood station was at Wilson until the 1970s or 1980s, when the C&NW moved it to Lawrence, so it would be next to their building at the NE corner of Lawrence & Ravenswood which housed a number of the railway's offices.  That's why those bus routes had their terminals there.

Gotcha!