Heritage buses

strictures

Yesterday, Saturday Sept. 7, I was at Clark & Ridge when four old CTA buses went SE on Ridge in the afternoon, around 3 PM.  They were led by #301, a New Look bus, followed by an all white, I think a TMC with "Instruction Bus" on its destination sign, a cream & green much older bus with accordion doors & one more which I didn't get a look at, but also cream & green.  Anyone know where they had been.  All were empty other than the drivers.

And where do they store them?  I remember they used to store them in an old car barn at Sheffield & Wrightwood, but that's long gone.

1 hour ago, strictures said:

Yesterday, Saturday Sept. 7, I was at Clark & Ridge when four old CTA buses went SE on Ridge in the afternoon, around 3 PM.  They were led by #301, a New Look bus, followed by an all white, I think a TMC with "Instruction Bus" on its destination sign, a cream & green much older bus with accordion doors & one more which I didn't get a look at, but also cream & green.  Anyone know where they had been.  All were empty other than the drivers.

And where do they store them?  I remember they used to store them in an old car barn at Sheffield & Wrightwood, but that's long gone.

I don't know where they are stored for a fact, but based on where you saw them,  my first thought was Skokie Shops.   

Perhaps the other two cream and greens were 8499 and 3706?   I have no idea about the RTS.

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I don't know where they are stored for a fact, but based on where you saw them,  my first thought was Skokie Shops.   

Perhaps the other two cream and greens were 8499 and 3706?   I have no idea about the RTS.

all of them were going back to South Shops from Skokie Shops, they were at Skokie Shops for the rebirth of the 2024 CTA Bus Rodeo competition that was held on Saturday September 7th.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, andrethebusman said:

The RTS is TI-1. Has been around for years. Never a passenger bus, has no seats. TI-2 is the 5300 pilot bus. I am surprised TI-1 is still around, after all other RTSs long gone.

Indeed built in 89 and has been kept up well as far as maintenance is concerned. Seeing it moving around the shops was a sight to see for sure though.

20240906_115315.jpg

20240909_115254.jpg

On 9/12/2024 at 4:37 AM, chitowndude84 said:

Interesting the TMC T-1 got the early 2000's refurbs with rear A/C even though never in passenger service??

And is this the ONLY TMC RTS left on CTA property??

It never got the complete rehabbed rear end. The rear window frame is still there but modified to some degree for ventilation I assume. TI-1 is the only active TMC of its model class left in active operation across the country which is a rarity in itself. SS Boneyard has a few TMCs sitting in the boneyard awaiting scrap though. 

20240909_115232.jpg

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It never got the complete rehabbed rear end. The rear window frame is still there but modified to some degree for ventilation I assume. TI-1 is the only active TMC of its model class left in active operation across the country which is a rarity in itself. SS Boneyard has a few TMCs sitting in the boneyard awaiting scrap though. 

It appears to have had the same roof modifications that narrow RTS had back in 2002 when it was rebuilt at south shops as a command bus!

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...