And the next garage to get New Flyers is...

rmadisonwi

Were 4800s(Late 4400s) and retired 4900s TMCs manufactured in 1991?

I'm not sure... This is how I think the TMC's were manufactured... Check sticker located above driver for exact manufacture date.

4400-4402(Late 1989)

4403-4500(Jan-Mar 1990)

4501-4600(Apr-Jun 1990)

4601-4700(Jul-Sept 1990)

4701-4799(Oct-Dec 1990)

4800-4875(Jan-Feb 1991)

4900-4914(Mar 1991, about the time the 3700's were retired)

Only a CTA employee with knowledge of the manufacture date(s) can precisly tell you if what is typed here is true.

1. Other reports indicate that a couple of 4400s were early prototypes.
  2. It appears that manufacture date doesn't correspond with in service date. For instance, the Pace budget states that 31 Eldorados are 2006s and 71 (68 fixed route and 3 paratransit) are 2007s, but the There here thread documents that up to about 2659 were seen in the South Holland yard by mid-December 2006. However, we also know that the Niles ones weren't on the street until June, 2007.
However, please do not construe this to mean that I am arguing with the manufacture date plates. Also, as we all know from more recent deliveries, they weren't all delivered at the same time.

The 900s will probably be a different kind of ride, because they are the kind of hybrids where the diesel engine only charges the batteries, and the drive is all electric. The Allison hybrids, like the 800s, use an electric motor in the transmission (like a hybrid car), and while that probably means that it can start on electricity, you'll probably hear diesel gear shifts. Let us know if you find one and any reactions.

I rode #801 and #809 today on #82 Kimball-Homan, and to be honest, they're not different from the regular New Flyers hardly at all. Altough I heard the diesel gear shifts, they're not different at all besides that.

Anyway, I saw #1136 at Ivring Park/Kimball broken down. Kedzie's New Flyers have better get it together..

I rode #801 and #809 today on #82 Kimball-Homan, and to be honest, they're not different from the regular New Flyers hardly at all. Altough I heard the diesel gear shifts, they're not different at all besides that.

On what basis are you saying that the 800s are not different from the regular New Flyers?

Anyway, I saw #1136 at Ivring Park/Kimball broken down. Kedzie's New Flyers have better get it together..

One bus does not a fleet make.

On what basis are you saying that the 800s are not different from the regular New Flyers?

I'm saying it because I was excepting them to speed faster and look different inside.

One bus does not a fleet make.

I know that, but alot of Kedzie's New Flyers have been in accidents or broken down recently.

How are the New Flyers suppose to get it together? In two cases the bus driver has been attacked causing an accident and this time on the #82 you haven't explained what really happened. There could be a couple of buses breaking down from each garage each day. Not just Kedzie. And yes the 800s are different from the 1000s because they are hybrids and don't run on regular diesel. This is a significant difference.

How are the New Flyers suppose to get it together? In two cases the bus driver has been attacked causing an accident and this time on the #82 you haven't explained what really happened. There could be a couple of buses breaking down from each garage each day. Not just Kedzie. And yes the 800s are different from the 1000s because they are hybrids and don't run on regular diesel. This is a significant difference.

It was only one accident where a driver was attacked. I don't know what happened, I only went past the bus on #809 heading back home and it did have it's engine hood up. I know they're different, it just doesn't seem like it to me. I said the New Flyers should get it together because obiously they've been in too many accidents recently for comfort. Why do I have a feeling the 1000s are going to get retired early?

And yes the 800s are different from the 1000s because they are hybrids and don't run on regular diesel.

They do run on regular diesel.

I said the New Flyers should get it together because obiously they've been in too many accidents recently for comfort.

It is rarely the bus's fault that it gets in an accident. Since New Flyers make up approximately 1/4 of the overall fleet, does it not stand to reason that New Flyers should get involved in 1/4 of the accidents that occur? That said, I doubt you actually have any statistics on how many New Flyers have been involved in accidents, and are merely relying upon the occasional news report of one and jumping to conclusions based on that.

I don't know why you think the 1000s are going to get retired early.

It is rarely the bus's fault that it gets in an accident. Since New Flyers make up approximately 1/4 of the overall fleet, does it not stand to reason that New Flyers should get involved in 1/4 of the accidents that occur? That said, I doubt you actually have any statistics on how many New Flyers have been involved in accidents, and are merely relying upon the occasional news report of one and jumping to conclusions based on that.

No, I don't have statistics because unlike you, I don't work for the CTA and not interested in grabbing statistics, thank you very much. Yes, i'm relying on the news, got a problem with that? Unlike you, those of us who don't work for the CTA have to watch the news, and by the way, I can jump to any conclusions I want to.

I think the New Flyers MIGHT be retired early because like I said, alot of them have been in accidents recently. With that, everybody get off my case. I'm just expressing opinion.

Enough said....

-Timmy

I think the New Flyers MIGHT (you should have read where I said might *rolls eyes*) be retired early because like I said, alot of them have been in accidents recently.

You never mentioned the word "might" in your previous post. You did say "obiously" (sic) the New Flyers were getting into too many accidents.

Anyway, the whole fleet won't be retired just because a few get into accidents. Sure, some of them may encounter an early demise, just as there are already a few Novas, 6000 Flxibles, 5800 New Flyers, NABI artics, etc., off the roster, either permanently, or in long-term repair for major damage. Likewise, even before the 5300 and TMC fleets started getting retired, you still didn't have 100% of those fleets in service, as some had been off the roster for some time anyway.

Accidents will happen. Sometimes those accidents will take a vehicle out of service for a long time (or permanently). It doesn't matter how new or old a bus is. Any vehicle on the street, whether on its first day in service, or on its scheduled retirement date after 12-15 years of service, has the chance to be in an accident. Rarely is an accident (be it a bus, truck, car, motorcycle, etc.) the fault of the vehicle rather than one of the motorists (and when it is the fault of the vehicle, it tends to make major headlines). Just because your car or van or bus is brand new doesn't make the other drivers on the road more careful of what they're doing.

Heck, Vancouver had a couple of brand new New Flyer trolley buses damaged in an accident while being delivered a year ago. I suppose they ought to start scrapping that fleet pretty soon, then, eh?

I think that discussing the retirement of the 1000 New Flyers at this point is really unneeded as only about have of them have been delivered so far. Secondly, whether it be the news, the Internet, or your own experience, they're all good resources to get the current news about the CTA. By the way, all of the bus series do have a few buses put out of service so I agree with rmadisonwi with that.

Fine, fine, i'm wrong. Geez. Hardly any New Flyers have been in accidents anyway, just 3 or 4, big deal. Don't know why I even said anything about that in the first place...

Admitting that you were wrong is ok, but agreeing that we were correct would make a difference. But it doesn't realy doesn't matter now so please don't make a big deal out of nothing. And I guess if you don't know, then no one will ever know why you mentioned anything about this unless you had a strong opinion and evidence to back up your assumption with you did, but then now you just decided to give up with sticking to your opinion.

By the way, does anyone know about how many 4400s North Park still has in service?

Plenty still. I see 4400's and 4500's on #11 quite often during the week. Saturday is usually all 5800's and 1000's, Sunday 5800's, 1000's and 500's, though the occasional TMC is put in the mix.

OT: Aside from the size, does anybody like the Optimas?

North Park has 157 TMCs assigned. Last week, the active TMC roster dipped below the 400 mark.

Speaking of Optimas, three more buses have been transferred to 103rd Garage to accommodate additional service on the U of C routes. North Park now has 9 buses (they had 12), with Forest Glen at 16 and 103rd at 20.

I don't particularly dislike the Optimas. I just dislike finding them on routes that are supposed to get larger buses. The #11 is designated to use Optimas on Sundays, which would concur with your observations.

North Park has 157 TMCs assigned. Last week, the active TMC roster dipped below the 400 mark.

Speaking of Optimas, three more buses have been transferred to 103rd Garage to accommodate additional service on the U of C routes. North Park now has 9 buses (they had 12), with Forest Glen at 16 and 103rd at 20.

I don't particularly dislike the Optimas. I just dislike finding them on routes that are supposed to get larger buses. The #11 is designated to use Optimas on Sundays, which would concur with your observations.

Wow. Still 157 TMCs at North Park. And I was pretty sure they only had about 120. But this is good news, but under the 400 mark with the 4400s is just dissapointing. It seems like they just arrived here not long ago (I'm speaking figuratively here). I do agree, the #11 Lincoln gets about 3 Optimas assigned to it on Sundays. Do you know which three Optimas were transferred to 103rd? The Optimas are good buses for the CTA on its low ridership routes, but of course these Optimas are sometimes misused.

They do run on regular diesel.

Buses arent the cause of accidents, drivers cause accidents.