Sam92 Posted April 11 Report Posted April 11 On 4/11/2026 at 12:38 PM, artthouwill said: Ki think people totally misunderstood my points. 1. We all know that the 10 is primarily for tourists. I don't see how anyone can be confused about adding the word Express to the route name when the MSI (Museum of Science and Industry) and Obama Center is in the name of the route. 2. The Obama Center is across the street from a residential complex and Hyde Park high school. Not that either or both would fill up a bus, but if a 10 is at the library, certainly a student or resident could catch a 10 there as it would be faster than a 6 or 28 going downtown. Even though the 192 is primarily for University of Chicago passengers, a person coming from the 4 /X4 could opt to transfer to the 192 as opposed to the 2 depending on their intended destination. 1. I got your point, I was saying 6 or 28 shouldn't really be impacted since #10 is basically serving the same function just with an extension lol. 2. I know getting on at 56th/Hyde Park used to have pretty long dwell times so I can see some people checking for a #10 and opting for it to avoid that plus be able to get right on the expressway... 3. Also; What 3/4 mile gap is this covering? The board claims there was one but as far as we are all concerned 2,6, 15, 28 and 192 all spread through the area. 1 Quote
Tcmetro Posted April 11 Report Posted April 11 Once I took the #10 southbound around 3 or 4 pm, there were quite a few others on the bus. They all got off at the museum and walked into the neighborhood. There's some stops that are shared with the #6 and it's definitely a faster way downtown, so I'd imagine it will get a bit more use. Honestly, there should be some consideration to extend along Stony Island as a third full-time DLSD express route from the south side. Quote
Busjack Posted April 11 Report Posted April 11 52 minutes ago, Sam92 said: 2. I know getting on at 56th/Hyde Park used to have pretty long dwell times so I can see some people checking for a #10 and opting for it to avoid that plus be able to get right on the expressway... I first thoughtr yhe presentation to the board was going in that direction when the planners mentioned other routes in the area. But if the only posted stops are at the front door of the OPC and MSI, the bus won't stop at 56th and S. Hyde Park. The current scheduke brochure says it exits and enters DLSD at 57th, so it won't even pass that stop. The only value of the MSI bus stop to a commuter is a transfer to or from #55, but even if #10 is theoretically more direct, it will run every 30 minutes, while 6 is every 10-12 and 28 downtown is every 12. Quote
Sam92 Posted April 11 Author Report Posted April 11 1 hour ago, Tcmetro said: Once I took the #10 southbound around 3 or 4 pm, there were quite a few others on the bus. They all got off at the museum and walked into the neighborhood. There's some stops that are shared with the #6 and it's definitely a faster way downtown, so I'd imagine it will get a bit more use. Honestly, there should be some consideration to extend along Stony Island as a third full-time DLSD express route from the south side. IF there was a need for a 3rd full time express using Stony Island just alter #28's downtown routing to be better at doing the job full time; we're only mentioning a few niche riders who might happen to have a secondary shortcut by being in proximity to the new #10 😅 otherwise it's still just an MSI/Obama center bus. Let the regular buses handle that Quote
Elkmn Posted April 12 Report Posted April 12 8 hours ago, artthouwill said: Ki think people totally misunderstood my points. 1. We all know that the 10 is primarily for tourists. I don't see how anyone can be confused about adding the word Express to the route name when the MSI (Museum of Science and Industry) and Obama Center is in the name of the route. 2. The Obama Center is across the street from a residential complex and Hyde Park high school. Not that either or both would fill up a bus, but if a 10 is at the library, certainly a student or resident could catch a 10 there as it would be faster than a 6 or 28 going downtown. Even though the 192 is primarily for University of Chicago passengers, a person coming from the 4 /X4 could opt to transfer to the 192 as opposed to the 2 depending on their intended destination. the 10 could serve as an off-peak 2 replacement, at least for the east side of hyde park! the 10 has a fantastic express section and would make it competitive with the 6. I'm pleased to see the CTA improving service on South DLSD. Quote
YoungBusLover Posted April 13 Report Posted April 13 Well the cat is out of the bag and it looks horrible........ 1 Quote
Busjack Posted April 13 Report Posted April 13 19 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said: Well the cat is out of the bag and it looks horrible... But predictable. Except I would have thought something other than "MSI," and if you captured it in sequence, the Museum first, since it is presumably the first stop. Quote
Sam92 Posted April 13 Author Report Posted April 13 56 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said: Well the cat is out of the bag and it looks horrible........ 33 minutes ago, Busjack said: But predictable. Except I would have thought something other than "MSI," and if you captured it in sequence, the Museum first, since it is presumably the first stop. The could've left the "to" out and did the usual thing of having the route name double as the destination SB. It should be simply #10 MSI/Obama Center (flip) Express SB and the usual #10 to Water Tower nb 1 Quote
YoungBusLover Posted April 13 Report Posted April 13 45 minutes ago, Busjack said: But predictable. Except I would have thought something other than "MSI," and if you captured it in sequence, the Museum first, since it is presumably the first stop. For some odd reason the MSI Exp is the second sequence while 10 to Obama Center is first. Quote
Sam92 Posted April 13 Author Report Posted April 13 9 hours ago, YoungBusLover said: For some odd reason the MSI Exp is the second sequence while 10 to Obama Center is first. I'm sure this'll get an update. I'm pretty sure it was either supposed to say a route name or just say #10 to Obama Pres center/MSI or #10 Obama Pres Ctr/MSI express. (Like the current #10) Sidenote: Direction wise it makes sense to show MSI first but I guess advertising service to the new Obama center is more of a priority 🤷 1 Quote
Busjack Posted April 13 Report Posted April 13 19 hours ago, YoungBusLover said: For some odd reason the MSI Exp is the second sequence while 10 to Obama Center is first. I also suppose that to the person at curbside, which one is first isn't apparent. 1 Quote
jajuan Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 On the #10 extension front, besides Busjack's question of whether more than just the Museum would be chipping in on paying for it, given the expansion to year-round service, I wonder what the service hours would be going forward (I can't see SB service ending a little before 4 weekdays and Sundays and roughly 2:40 on Saturdays as the most recent schedule shows) and whether they'd stick to the roughly half hour headways. But of course my thoughts would possibly be moot if the new Obama Center's hours are close to the Museum's. Edit: I found info from the Obama Foundation of general overall campus hours being 6 a.m. through 9 p.m. daily and museum, library and other key parts having varying closing times between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. depending on the day. Quote
EasyMoney Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 1 hour ago, jajuan said: On the #10 extension front, besides Busjack's question of whether more than just the Museum would be chipping in on paying for it, given the expansion to year-round service, I wonder what the service hours would be going forward (I can't see SB service ending a little before 4 weekdays and Sundays and roughly 2:40 on Saturdays as the most recent schedule shows) and whether they'd stick to the roughly half hour headways. But of course my thoughts would possibly be moot if the new Obama Center's hours are close to the Museum's. Edit: I found info from the Obama Foundation of general overall campus hours being 6 a.m. through 9 p.m. daily and museum, library and other key parts having varying closing times between 5 p.m. and 8 p.m. depending on the day. Speaking on that I heard rumors that we are having a emergency system pick because of the 10 is getting year round service and kedzie doesn’t have enough operators to cover that Quote
Sam92 Posted May 7 Author Report Posted May 7 1 hour ago, EasyMoney said: Speaking on that I heard rumors that we are having a emergency system pick because of the 10 is getting year round service and kedzie doesn’t have enough operators to cover that Seems a bit drastic when 103rd is a straight relief and can share Quote
Erin Mishkin Jr. Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 Is the 10 going to be using DE60LF articulated buses when it returns if anyone knows? Quote
Sam92 Posted May 7 Author Report Posted May 7 4 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said: Is the 10 going to be using DE60LF articulated buses when it returns if anyone knows? It always did them on and off. You'd have to take the daily anticipated ridership and divide it by the service hours to see. And divide that by 2 buses an hour I think artics are justified at like 80 riders or so depending on the model. The 4150s probably hold the most Quote
MetroShadow Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 1 hour ago, Sam92 said: It always did them on and off. You'd have to take the daily anticipated ridership and divide it by the service hours to see. And divide that by 2 buses an hour I think artics are justified at like 80 riders or so depending on the model. The 4150s probably hold the most Unless the blocks can cover the other expresses and/or interline, I’d be surprised if it’s ran with artics. Quote
Sam92 Posted May 7 Author Report Posted May 7 8 hours ago, MetroShadow said: Unless the blocks can cover the other expresses and/or interline, I’d be surprised if it’s ran with artics. If I remember right one of the recent years I've seen artics. It was a 143 block idk if they went to #10 after AM rush or started on #10 then went to 143. I can't remember if all of sightings during year round service lined up with holidays or other things that justified them like 124 and 130 usually tend to do. I wonder how this possible shortage at K is gonna work out; either 103rd might get it, #35 might rejoin #39 at 77th since that's the only thing K can really give up or 77th somehow manages to run some of it like in the past (did these relieve via Red to Jackson or were these pull-ins?) Quote
artthouwill Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 22 minutes ago, Sam92 said: If I remember right one of the recent years I've seen artics. It was a 143 block idk if they went to #10 after AM rush or started on #10 then went to 143. I can't remember if all of sightings during year round service lined up with holidays or other things that justified them like 124 and 130 usually tend to do. I wonder how this possible shortage at K is gonna work out; either 103rd might get it, #35 might rejoin #39 at 77th since that's the only thing K can really give up or 77th somehow manages to run some of it like in the past (did these relieve via Red to Jackson or were these pull-ins?) I know CTA has gotten away from route sharing, but a NP/103rd split f the 10 could work if the unissued is artics. Quote
Busjack Posted May 7 Report Posted May 7 2 hours ago, artthouwill said: I know CTA has gotten away from route sharing, but a NP/103rd split f the 10 could work if the unissued is artics. Recently there have been runs or blocks sharing routes (such as a 93 run sheet that was posted that included a 49 trip) but not as much garage sharing as there once was. I assume that @Sam92's reference to 143 and 10 was to only K routes. Quote
Sam92 Posted May 7 Author Report Posted May 7 53 minutes ago, Busjack said: Recently there have been runs or blocks sharing routes (such as a 93 run sheet that was posted that included a 49 trip) but not as much garage sharing as there once was. I assume that @Sam92's reference to 143 and 10 was to only K routes. Yeah this was last year or two with K only runs. I'm sure if 77 or 03 does it the buses probably come off 2 or 26 Quote
jajuan Posted May 9 Report Posted May 9 On 5/7/2026 at 10:10 AM, artthouwill said: I know CTA has gotten away from route sharing, but a NP/103rd split f the 10 could work if the unissued is artics. On 5/7/2026 at 12:36 PM, Busjack said: Recently there have been runs or blocks sharing routes (such as a 93 run sheet that was posted that included a 49 trip) but not as much garage sharing as there once was. I assume that @Sam92's reference to 143 and 10 was to only K routes. Plus CTA hasn't really gotten completely away from shared routes in regards to K specifically. C still shares the a.m. rush trips of the 12 with K for example. Plus there's still the a.m. 7/K and p.m. C/K splits on 120, 121 and 125. Quote
Busjack Posted May 9 Report Posted May 9 1 hour ago, jajuan said: Plus CTA hasn't really gotten completely away from shared routes in regards to K specifically. C still shares the a.m. rush trips of the 12 with K for example. Plus there's still the a.m. 7/K and p.m. C/K splits on 120, 121 and 125. I said "not as much." You could have added 74/NP on Western. But no like when 8 was split between Limits and 77th and 9 was split between Limits and 69th. Quote
jajuan Posted May 11 Report Posted May 11 On 5/8/2026 at 11:09 PM, Busjack said: I said "not as much." You could have added 74/NP on Western. But no like when 8 was split between Limits and 77th and 9 was split between Limits and 69th. I know what you said and wasn't countering you sir. I was giving exampled of route sharing that remains that's tied directly to K since that's the garage that was at the center of discussion in regards to whether the 10 stays there and get shared or gets moved completely to facilitate the service expansion once the route starts up again in two weeks time. My point of route sharing not completely being gone was directed to Art. Quote
EasyMoney Posted May 11 Report Posted May 11 14 minutes ago, jajuan said: I know what you said and wasn't countering you sir. I was giving exampled of route sharing that remains that's tied directly to K since that's the garage that was at the center of discussion in regards to whether the 10 stays there and get shared or gets moved completely to facilitate the service expansion once the route starts up again in two weeks time. My point of route sharing not completely being gone was directed to Art. Haven’t heard anything about 103rd sharing the 10 Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.