Flxibles 5745-5764

jajuan

For you 5746 spotters, it's on Kimball/Homan today.

That means those fans of this bus should try to get out to see it if they can brave the snow. Today and tomorrow are its last days at Kedzie. Come the start of the spring picks on Easter, who knows what will happen with this bus with Kedzie's remaining 5300s set for transfer or retirement by that date.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#5746 is scheduled to be transferred to Chicago Avenue Garage this weekend as part of the spring pick moves.

Awesome, hopefully I can see it on the X54 at Jeff Pk. sometime soon.

• 4 weeks later...

If it was just withdrawn this week, most likely it is sittting at South Shops awaiting transport to 92/Ewing. If anyone has by chance to see it down either at SS or the Ewing junkyard, let us know.

5746 was withdrawn from service this past week.

Today I drove past the Chicago ave. Garage. In the rear there are several Flxible buses sitting dead. About 5 or 6 buses are parked lined up including #5746 along with #5614. The buses look so worn out with exterior parts missing and no fareboxes, they look like theyre ready for the scrap yard.

Today I drove past the Chicago ave. Garage. In the rear there are several Flxible buses sitting dead. About 5 or 6 buses are parked lined up including #5746 along with #5614. The buses look so worn out with exterior parts missing and no fareboxes, they look like theyre ready for the scrap yard.

That's sad to hear, that another group of Flxibles have left our hearts and are about to be gone forever, but it's better than hearing that they have gone straight to the scrapyards. Go fellow bus fans, ride the TMCs and Flxibles before they're gone forever!

Random question: Does anyone know if 5742 is still out there? If there's still time, I want to ride her before she's gone, even if it means traveling across the city to find her, since she was my personal favorite, back sometime in '96 - '99, she saved me from a pouring rainstorm when no 62 Archer was headed back home here from Pulaski, and she was the one that came at a time where it couldn't be any better. :(

That's sad to hear, that another group of Flxibles have left our hearts and are about to be gone forever, but it's better than hearing that they have gone straight to the scrapyards. Go fellow bus fans, ride the TMCs and Flxibles before they're gone forever!

Random question: Does anyone know if 5742 is still out there? If there's still time, I want to ride her before she's gone, even if it means traveling across the city to find her, since she was my personal favorite, back in '98 - 2000, she saved me from a pouring rainstorm. :(

First I want to say thank you for your apology and denouncing your remarks, I accept it. #5746 was the last of the Cummins L-10 Flxibles to operate in service, she was pulled from service over a week ago. I saw it this afternoon still sitting on the rear apron at the Chicago Ave Garage.

First I want to say thank you for your apology and denouncing your remarks, I accept it. As far as #5742 she was pulled out of service a while back. #5746 was the last of the Cummins L-10 Flxibles to operate in service, she was pulled from service over a week ago. I saw it this afternoon still sitting on the rear apron at the Chicago Ave Garage.

No, no, no need for that, I just mouthed off yesterday about what had happened, and it was getting late, so I was tired and grumpy, should have given the whole event another thought before posting something. But anyways, thank you for listening. :)

[sigh], sad to hear that 5742 is gone, wanted to ride and "thank" her for what she did many years back, but now, still, riding any good Flxible still good out there will be my way of remembering 5742 and all the good veterans who have served all of Chicago well for these many great years. :(

If there's still time, I want to ride her before she's gone, even if it means traveling across the city to find her, since she was my personal favorite, back sometime in '96 - '99, she saved me from a pouring rainstorm when no 62 Archer was headed back home here from Pulaski, and she was the one that came at a time where it couldn't be any better. :(

Maybe it's about time you found a girlfriend or boyfriend. ;) j/k

No, no, no need for that, I just mouthed off yesterday about what had happened, and it was getting late, so I was tired and grumpy, should have given the whole event another thought before posting something. But anyways, thank you for listening. :)

[sigh], sad to hear that 5742 is gone, wanted to ride and "thank" her for what she did many years back, but now, still, riding any good Flxible still good out there will be my way of remembering 5742 and all the good veterans who have served all of Chicago well for these many great years. :(

My bad, #5742 is not out of service. It is on 54 Cicero, I just saw this afternoon at the Cicero/Montrose turnaround. I had in my mind of #5742 being a Cummins, shame on me! :) She is still around!

Heres a more pics taken by me today of Nos. 5681, 5683, 5695 and 5614 is also in the bunch behind Chicago Ave. Garage. They look pretty much like theyre done. The fareboxes have been pulled out of them. I had to slow down, take the pics while on the move and continue on so as to lessen the chance of getting stopped by CTA personnel. #5614 were the last pics I wanted to take before I left, but just as I snapped the last shot of #5683, a New Flyer approached me from the right, I didnt know if he spotted me taking photos so I had to make a quick exit to the west end of the garage on Chicago ave.

post-158-1209412586_thumb.jpg

post-158-1209412674_thumb.jpg

post-158-1209412770_thumb.jpg

Bodies look like you'll seem them at 92nd soon. Also, the ever present duck tape over the front roof.

Yep, shameful scenes with all the rust, tape, and torn open body areas all over all of 'em, no doubt about it.

My bad, #5742 is not out of service. It is on 54 Cicero, I just saw this afternoon at the Cicero/Montrose turnaround. I had in my mind of #5742 being a Cummins, shame on me! :) She is still around!

Hmm, good news for me hearing 5742 is still running strong out there, bad thing is that I don't have until the weekend because of school to find and have a chance to enjoy a ride before she's gone. :(

Why, I must ask, since the Flxibles 5300s and New Flyers 1000s are my favorite buses, but why must they be on the West/North Side of Chicago?, which makes it so hard for me to ride them now :lol: (Obviously for fleet consolidation purposes)

One quick question, when the CTA retires its buses now, I'm pretty sure they keep the fareboxes (seeing how all the Chicago Flxibles outside are missing them), but I've always wondered, they MUST do the same for the Clever Devices announcement systems/LED displays right, seeing how it's pretty new equipment, and a HUGE WASTE for throwing that out and not the fareboxes which are 10+ years old.

Yep, shameful scenes with all the rust, tape, and torn open body areas all over all of 'em, no doubt about it.

Hmm, good news for me hearing 5742 is still running strong out there, bad thing is that I don't have until the weekend because of school to find and have a chance to enjoy a ride before she's gone. :(

Why, I must ask, since the Flxibles 5300s and New Flyers 1000s are my favorite buses, but why must they be on the West/North Side of Chicago?, which makes it so hard for me to ride them now :lol: (Obviously for fleet consolidation purposes)

One quick question, when the CTA retires its buses now, I'm pretty sure they keep the fareboxes (seeing how all the Chicago Flxibles outside are missing them), but I've always wondered, they MUST do the same for the Clever Devices announcement systems/LED displays right, seeing how it's pretty new equipment, and a HUGE WASTE for throwing that out and not the fareboxes which are 10+ years old.

Just to give you an idea of how much good parts are wasted. The pics I took down at the scrapyard @ 92/Ewing, I was able to get very close to the buses so close I stepped inside one of the buses. I wish I had taken a photo, I even got a look inside one of the vehicles that was already torn up. I see how many good parts were still usable on even the newest equipment. headlights, taillight assemblies, seats, etc.... I did look inside one of the buses and it still had the Clever Devices still in it. I looked inside TMC #4439, it still had the MDT box in it. The fareboxes I know for a fact are removed and reused. You can tell when you board a New Flyer it has a worn out looking farebox, you know it served on another bus. There are many other parts that are good end up scrapped though. The security cameras are removed as well.

Just to give you an idea of how much good parts are wasted. The pics I took down at the scrapyard @ 92/Ewing, I was able to get very close to the buses so close I stepped inside one of the buses. I wish I had taken a photo, I even got a look inside one of the vehicles that was already torn up. I see how many good parts were still usable on even the newest equipment. headlights, taillight assemblies, seats, etc.... I did look inside one of the buses and it still had the Clever Devices still in it. I looked inside TMC #4439, it still had the MDT box in it. The fareboxes I know for a fact are removed and reused. You can tell when you board a New Flyer it has a worn out looking farebox, you know it served on another bus. There are many other parts that are good end up scrapped though. The security cameras are removed as well.

[sigh], tsk tsk, that's really sad to hear, at least the CTA should keep some things that are of low notice to riders, like the headights for example, as long as they work, and bright enough to see from a distance when driving, that's something right there to keep, its like $1 at least for a new replacement headlight bulb. With this, the CTA shouldn't even be worth getting new funding money for new equipment, if they can't even keep some of the old things that are still of good use for another 6+ months. :angry:

[sigh], tsk tsk, that's really sad to hear, at least the CTA should keep some things that are of low notice to riders, like the headights for example, as long as they work, and bright enough to see from a distance when driving, that's something right there to keep, its like $1 at least for a new replacement headlight bulb. With this, the CTA shouldn't even be worth getting new funding money for new equipment, if they can't even keep some of the old things that are still of good use for another 6+ months. :angry:

I agree 100%

103RD still has about 35 5300s left for you to ride plus 100 flyers!

103rd still has about 35 5300s plus 100 flyers.

103rd still has about 35 5300s plus 100 flyers.

Since the recent garage switch I have had occasion to ride 5300s on route 29 STATE.

I've also ridden a few TMCs on that route. Maybe you could try it.